The F1-circus thread...

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Firstly, I think all the F1 fanatics on this board (and I'm right at the top of the list) owes Altwegg an apology for rudely hijacking his 'Get to know more about us' topic.
Subsequently then , the reason for this thread. ;)

Now, as you most of you know, F1 is a religion (why do you think they hold races on Sundays?), I urge you to chose your words with care. ;D
Also, seeing that topics of religious and political nature have no place on this board, I hope admin will allow us to pursue this thread ;D

I will start off in a civilised, adult manner:

SCHUMACHER IS THE GREATEST!
EVERYONE ELSE ON THE TRACK - BOW DOWN!!

Schumi Rules

Ferrari Rules

Schumi and Ferrari together are unstopable.

Villenueve should be on the cover on a magazine and not driving
DC should stick to playing his bag pipes
Hakinen, well the only thing that get him to the line is his nationality - Finish :D

ps. this is in jest, but I do think Schmi and ferrari rule.

First of all, let me say I agree with everything you wrote especially the yellow bit. ;D

Why don't you or admin move the F1 posts over here from the hijacked thread?

First of all, let me say I agree with everything you wrote especially the yellow bit.  ;D

Why don't you or admin move the F1 posts over here from the hijacked thread?

As a mod I can only move entire topics. Maybe admin can move specific posts. Copy and paste if all else fails ;D

Villenueve should be on the cover on a magazine and not driving
DC should stick to playing his bag pipes
Hakinen, well the only thing that get him to the line is his nationality - Finish :D
Do you really think JV is that HOT ;D

DC tends to play more women that Eddie irvine or the bagpipes ;)

I suppose his Finnish nationality helped a touch Hakkinen since most of the time his car didn't :p
Anyway, he's changing nappies at home for a year... or so he says. He may just have to return to Mclaren and help change Kimi's nappy there too.

Vo2,
It's not serious but he ca if he wants to.

All i can do is cut text from the other data file and past it into the file for this thread.......spose that would work  ;)

I'll give it a go in an hour or two, just remember if it breaks it aint my fault hehe

cheers

Guys, you gotta wake up and smell the coffee! Schumi does not rule! Ferrari (especially Ferrari) does not rule! Ferrari did not have a championship for, like, 20 years! And Michael Schumacher.... he deliberately tried to knock out Villeneuve during Suzuka (?) and Hill during Melboune (?)! He may be great, but I will never bow down to him!

Montoya, Ralf S., Kimi, and DC RULE!

Williams-BMW RULES!

F1 is a gentleman's sport. Schumacher did not drive like a gentleman, hence, he may be a great driver, but he is NOT a great F1 RACER.

Ferrari did not have a championship for 20 years because they neve had a driver capable. Schumi and his team pulled Ferrari into the lead the same way as he did at Benneton. Schumi has the ability to win in an inferior car. He not only drives well, but is able to communicate to his technical directors exactly what the problems are.

The so called deliberate accidents were in his younger years, he now has a cool head and beats others fair and square.

You never once hear him complaining of inferior equipment or the like.

F1 is a gentleman's sport. Schumacher did not drive like a gentleman, hence, he may be a great driver, but he is NOT a great F1 RACER.

I BEG YOUR PARDON!
The pinnacle of motor racing is F1. How do you rack up 4 WC's if you aint a great F1 racer?
The other drivers all have one mission: beat Schumacher! He is the benchmark they measure their abilities against!

As much as i hate to say it, Schumacher is the Armstrong/Indurain of F1 :) The guy doesnt appeal to me in any way, in fact I like to see him lose :) But he is one of the best drivers ever, noone can take that away from him.

Give Montoya another year or so 8)

cheers!

Altwegg, what makes you say Ferrari does not rule?

Have you looked at the achievements over the last 50 years. Yes, in the last 20 or so before the Schumacher era there have been major problems within the team. Most of them political... a whole bunch of emotional Italians working together can be worse than women ;D. (and before I'm flamed, I'm part Italian okay?)

But Luca di Montezemolo turned the whole team around. Started hiring the right people - not only Italians. First it was Jean Todt (French) to manage the team and he got Niki Lauda to enlist the best driver in the world coming off back to back championships. From there the team built up to include Ross Brawn (UK), a master strategist and Rory Byrne (South Africa) to design the F1 Ferraris.

The team is now going through the most successful era in the history of the sport. I suppose you're just jealous because you're tired of seeing the red cars up at the front and Michael, the most successful driver in the history of the sport, on the top step of the podium at almost every race.

Williams is a great team too but do they design and build their own engines every year? No, of course not. They, like McLaren, choose the best one going at any given time. ;)

Please give me real reasons why they don't rule....

Schumi admitted he was wrong in Jerez in 97 when he tried to take JV out. It didn't work and Jacques got the WDC so why all the bitterness? You make it sound like JV was an angel that year but if you go and watch it again you'll see him try and take Schumacher out in a race that he was suspended for and could not score points in. If he was such a good driver then he should've won that WDC long before the last race in that dominant Williams.

The incident with Hill in Adelaide 95 is debatable. Hill has made a name for himself going for gaps which aren't there and Schumacher's steering/suspension was pretty much terminally damaged. If he'd been patient for about 2 seconds while MS finished bouncing off the wall then he'd have been champion. The stewards (who are mostly British) ruled it a racing incident.

As for F1 being a gentleman's sport I'm afraid the gentlemen's era ended about 40 years ago. F1 is all about money and professionalism.

"Montoya, Ralf S., Kimi, and DC RULE"
I agree with you to a certain extent except for DC. He's been in the outright best/equal best/near best car for the last 7 years and has only once achieved a 2nd place in the WDC.
Kimi, Ralf and Motoya will probabaly be fighting each other for championships in the coming years. motoya is probably the only one who'd come close challenging Michael on equal footing. He has the fire and determination but little experience just yet. I look forward to seeing him try to challenge next year.

Cheers
Sean

I agree - DC is a putty-nut. For one, he only wins when the leaders drop out and he is PATHETIC when it comes to overtaking.
Ever since THAT incident in the rain at SPA where he cost Schumacher the WDC, I have no time for him.

I am not saying the Schumi is not the best driver out there. He is definitley the best one, always being a contender for the championship no matter what car he was in. However, I still believe he deliberately tried to take out JV and DH during those two crucial (very exciting too) races. Once he did that to JV, I totally ruled out any chance of rooting for the guy.

Also, a few races ago, he tried to talk the field into refraiing from overtaking during the first 2 corners of the _____GP. Poppycock! I think he just wanted to retain his starting position and keep anyone from blowing past him after the green light. I really do not buy his "safety" concerns. It's like asking the peloton to stay bunched together at lower speeds during a downhill because it is "safer."

Schumacher may be the best on paper, but it takes more than trophies to be the best.

I think the prime example of a great driver would be Ayrton Senna. What a driver, and what a gentleman! (Watch the video: A Star Named Senna)

Oh, and please don't flame me! I'm already surrounded by Tifosi here, isn't that enough? :)

How come the incident between MS and JV at Jerez is seen as bad driving or bad sportsmanship, but the incidents between Senna and Prost at Suzuka are seen as prime examples of great driving?

Also, a few races ago, he tried to talk the field into refraiing from overtaking during the first 2 corners of the _____GP. Poppycock! I think he just wanted to retain his starting position and keep anyone from blowing past him after the green light. I really do not buy his "safety" concerns. It's like asking the peloton to stay bunched together at lower speeds during a downhill because it is "safer."
This was the story originally taken up by the press but it has since come to light that other drivers approached Schumi as he is the head of the GPDA. So it was up to him to send his PR lady to get the signatures when it wasn't his idea.

The reason why he did support the idea was that the first 2 corners of Monza are extremely dangerous. Don't forget that last year a marshall was killed at the 2nd chicane... He and his brother also had ties with someone who died in the WTC tragedy that happened a few days before the race. And then Alex Zanardi lost his legs in a CART race the day before. Therefore 20 out of 22 drivers were more than happy to sign the petition as the whole world was feeling down at the time. When there wasn't a majority vote, the idea was scrapped.

Senna was a great driver but A gentleman????? You're either dreaming or you never watched him race and the way he treated other drivers. Off the track he was known as the most arrogant, singleminded troublesome individual in the pit lane. He even admitted to deliberatley deciding to take out Prost by the first corner of a GP before the race. How's that for sportmanship?

The truth is Senna and Schumacher are 2 of the best drivers who've ever lived. They were/are always at the front fighting for wins etc. and thus the incidents they are involved in at the front of the field get scrutinised much more closely than all the rest. Who cares if Tarso Marques runs into Luciano Burti on purpose?

You don't have to support the guy but trying to point out that he's a bad apple in and the rest of the drivers are angels is ignorant. And you might want to leave Damon and Jacques out of the conversation when discussing good clean overtaking moves...

You also haven't answered me why you think Ferrari sucks.

Sorry, I didn't know that Ayrton deliberately ran into Prost. Are you sure he really did that? Even now, Prost still says that Senna was a great driver and his death has left him (Prost) a bit incomplete. Would you say that about a driver who deliberately tries to take your car out at great risk to your life? Senna may have been arrogant off track, but he never did anything dangerous (except that Prost incident, if it is true) on track. Even his competitors say so.

BTW, I think Ferrari sucks because they concentrate too much on one driver while leaving the other driver somwhat out in the cold. Look at Irvine, he could've won the championship a couple of years ago. If only Ferrari supported him, instead of Schumi, during the first few races, then Irve the Swerve would have given another championship to Ferrari. Check our Reubens right now, he's good, real good. Too bad he has to be Schumacher's domestique day in and day out. Now, don't go on saying that it's Reubens' job to support Schumi. IMO, it just sucks when you have 22 cars, with 11 of them not racing to win, but to support the team #1. It's a good thing other teams (like Williams) don't take the 'supporting driver' thing too far that F1 becomes one whole boring parade of cars blocking each other.

Now, don't get mad at me or flame me. This is just my opinion. I'm not asking you to defend your loyalty to the prancing horse.

Anyway, I'm just lloking forward to next year when Montoya, Ralf, and Kimi will be out there to harass Michael for the championship. I predict great racing for 2002!

Sorry, I didn't know that Ayrton deliberately ran into Prost. Are you sure he really did that? Even now, Prost still says that Senna was a great driver and his death has left him (Prost) a bit incomplete. Would you say that about a driver who deliberately tries to take your car out at great risk to your life? Senna may have been arrogant off track, but he never did anything dangerous (except that Prost incident, if it is true) on track. Even his competitors say so.

Altwegg, buddy, I suggest you read this:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/oskar_schuler/senna1.htm
Although I don't agree with everything he says, it's a good read. Tell me what you think ;)

Not to worry - all's fair in love and war and F1 ;D

Senna was ****** off because after he got pole for a particular race (don't remember which one) Balestre changed the pole sitters position to the dirty side of the track to help Prost in 2nd. Still it was a deliberate high speed accident that could have caused serious injury. Senna could never tolerate any criticism and his favourite line to use in such circumstances was "But I am Senna"...

BTW, Prost got Senna back at Suzuka 89 when he drove into him and thus walking away with the WDC. Although Prost doesn't admit to it. It's as plain as day on the video replays.

I'll look for some references for you when I have time.

I get a lump in my throat each time I read Prof. Sid Watkins re-collection of the crash that caused Senna's death:

FIA Medical Delegate, Professor Sid Watkins, a close friend to the Brazilian champion, described how he had been unnerved by Senna's tearful reaction to the one-minute silence held for Ratzenberger just before the race.
He then went on to recall lifting Ayrton, badly injured, from his car. "Senna was slumped in the car and the doctor from the intervention car was with him, holding his helmeted head. There was a frantic effort to cut the chinstrap and get the helmet off.
"We supported Ayrton's head and removed the helmet. His eyes were closed and he was unconscious. I got an airway into his mouth, rotated it, and we had an effective airflow. He looked serene. I raised his eyelids and it was clear that he had a massive brain injury. We lifted him from the cockpit and laid him on the ground, as we did he sighed and, though I am totally agnostic, I felt his soul depart at that moment."