The F1-circus thread...

Grand Prix ?<br /><br />There's been a Grand Prix at the weekend ?<br /><br />I'm sorry Vo2 but this weekend there's only been one sporting event worth watching and that's the Ryder Cup.<br /><br />From the photograph I take it that the two Ferrari's came first and second.

What ya F1 fans think of the new 2003 rules?<br /><br />Qualifying<br />- Two qualifying sessions (Friday and Saturday) instead of one.<br />- Qualifying to be only one flying lap for each car.<br />- Cars to be run one at a time.<br />- Friday's running order follows championship race, with leader going out first.<br />- Saturday's qualifying determined by Friday's times - slowest going first, fastest going last.<br /><br />Championship points<br />- Points to be awarded down to eighth place (10:8:6:5:4:3:2:1) instead of sixth.<br /><br />Team orders<br />- Team orders which interfere with the race result are prohibited.<br /><br />2003 Belgian GP<br />-No 2003 Belgian GP (Spa). No agreement on tobacco advertising.<br /><br />Tyres<br />- Each team allowed two different dry tyres at each event instead of same.<br /><br />Testing<br />- Provided that, by Dec. 15, at least three teams undertake to the FIA not to run more than 10 car-days of private testing between March 1 and Nov. 1, the teams which have given this undertaking will be able to test at each event from 0900 to 1100 on Friday and may use their spare car and their test driver during this period.<br />

[quote author=Vo2 link=board=6;threadid=329;start=90#22100 date=1036243347]<br />What ya F1 fans think of the new 2003 rules?<br /><br />Qualifying<br />- Two qualifying sessions (Friday and Saturday) instead of one.<br />- Qualifying to be only one flying lap for each car.<br />- Cars to be run one at a time.<br />- Friday's running order follows championship race, with leader going out first.<br />- Saturday's qualifying determined by Friday's times - slowest going first, fastest going last.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I like this idea, just so long as they have some decent contingency plan for adverse conditions (say it starts bucketing with rain half-way through.. maybe revert back to the old 60 minute 12 laps per person idea or something then)<br /><br />
Championship points<br />- Points to be awarded down to eighth place (10:8:6:5:4:3:2:1) instead of sixth.
<br /><br />Not such a big fan of this one. Why bother attacking for a win from 2nd if there's only two points advantage in it?<br /><br />
Team orders<br />- Team orders which interfere with the race result are prohibited.
<br /><br />An innocent and noble idea, but good luck trying to enforce it! Maybe we'll start having secret hand-signals on pit lane like baseball catchers signalling to the pitchers ;)<br /><br />
2003 Belgian GP<br />-No 2003 Belgian GP (Spa). No agreement on tobacco advertising.
<br /><br />This sucks, though I wouldn't be completely surprised if it's back soon (i.e. before the 2007 season's tobacco ban) with some compromise being reached (or one side giving up ;)<br /><br />I think canning the Spa race is also a show of Bernie-strength to other race hosts/countries to underline who is in charge.. &quot;If Spa isn't safe, noone is! So when I talk, listen dammit!&quot;<br /><br />
Tyres<br />- Each team allowed two different dry tyres at each event instead of same.
<br /><br />Good idea<br /><br />
Testing<br />- Provided that, by Dec. 15, at least three teams undertake to the FIA not to run more than 10 car-days of private testing between March 1 and Nov. 1, the teams which have given this undertaking will be able to test at each event from 0900 to 1100 on Friday and may use their spare car and their test driver during this period.
<br /><br />meh

Qualifying should be interesting tho. At least we won't have to listen to DC complaining about all the traffic that got in his way during his hot lap anymore.

[quote author=Vo2 link=board=6;threadid=329;start=90#22104 date=1036245919]<br />Qualifying should be interesting tho. At least we won't have to listen to DC complaining about all the traffic that got in his way during his hot lap anymore.<br />[/quote]<br />Yeah, it'll be a lot more exciting to follow for sure with this &quot;shootout&quot; system. It'd make good TV too; being able to follow the qualifying laps in entirety.<br /><br />Just hoping that the Australian network that picks up F1 next year will show qualifying sessions (and not a 15 second highlight package)...

Whats up with sports coverage in Oz? I believe you guys get ripped off during the TdF aswell? Isn't there a seperate satellite channel that covers sport? We have about 8 Supersport channels. This year we got about 5 hours TdF coverage a day, and they cover F1 from Friday practice all the way thro to Sunday raceday. No breaks and no commercials during the race. Do you guys have this sort of thing in Oz?

Our TdF coverage is getting alot better though. We get 2 live stages now, one being the last.<br />As for F-1 coverage - don't get me started!<br />www.f1fansvschannel9.com<br />Our sports coverage in general sucks unless you're into the festivals of boot eg AFL or ARL - both are uneventful and have no real bearing on anyones lives after the siren.<br />SBS does a great job with the TdF though. We get a half hour package everyday and we've got FOXTEL which shows a fair bit of the US coverage.<br /><br />Forza Ferrari!<br />MS may be winning alot but the others are losing more.<br /><br />roKeMS

I really don't think any of these new rules are going to make any difference to another year of Ferrari domination.<br /> ;D :D<br />The only issueI have with the qual set-up - what if it rains?? ::)<br />52 pick-up!! ;D<br /><br />ahh what can ya do?<br /><br /><br />roKeMS

Man!!! Why did I not pick up on this thread??

There is but one and one only F1 team, and drivers..FERRARI, MS and Rubens!!!!!!!!

They have worked their way up to where they are now. It is however a sad state of affair when the other teams cannot compete with them and then start bit...and moaning about them.. Top marks for Ferrari for developing their car to be the ultimate F1...I for one hope that there will be more competition this year...just to make it interesting...

Our drivers are top class .. and those who give MS some hassle...look at Rubens... If Shumi did not win the race then Rubens was there...even beating Shumi on occasion. All I can say is....

We are red, we are white and we are........DYNAMITE!!!!!!!!!!!

Never to be turned Ferrari/MS/Rubens fan!!!:D :cool:

PS: Vo2 .... I "smaak" the pics...can you also taste the fear of the other teams?

I've learnt from experience that it's best to be a silent optimist. The car looks awesome, and they reckon it to be even better than last years car. I believe Ferrari will be starting the first few races with the F2002. It must be pretty demoralising for the rest of the field to know that a Ferrari from the previous season will probably be running away from them at the start. All mind games, imo.

Forza! Schumacher uber als!

yes i have to admit i'm one of the tifosi too, even to the point of having the ferrari branded force feedback wheel so i can play Grand Prix 4 ( the ONLY F1 game worth playing).

and i'll be there for the Melbourne GP with my grandstand tickets and big ass camera

but i'm a little dissapointed i won't be seeing the 2003.

anyhoo at the moment i have to be content with checking daily F1 several times a day

Ahhh, Micropose Grand Prix! Yep, you right there duckie! GP3/4 is the ONLY racing sim! At some stage during my career, I used to hold one of the the top 10 lap times around Monza - 1:17: odd. No cheats! I used to ace Kyalami pretty well too. Obviously those sort of records don't last long, but it was good while it lasted.
What's your fav track duckie?

i find melbourne hellishly frustrating cause i never brake early enough, same with monza and hockenheims chicanes

so my vote for fave track goes to the nurburgring and montreal.

having said that i haven't been playing it enough to fully evaluate all the tracks

You guys heard the latest rule "clarification" ?

No fuelling between qualifying and race .. no I'm not joking.

Thats' a cuck rule. What will then happen to the warmup session the morning before the race? Won't the teams fillup then? If the warmup session falls away, you'll probably find all the top grid positions start on an empty tank, and pit on the first and second laps respectively.
I think MR Mosely and co. are starting to take it too far.

Just too confirm what rek said and too answer your question Vo2:

Taken from SuperWheels

Another proposed adjustment to the rules for 2003, backed by FIA President Max Mosley, is for teams to race with the same fuel loads that they ran in qualifying the day before.
Designed to mix up the strategies, the rule would mean teams would not be able to refill the tanks of their cars after the second qualifying session on Saturday afternoon. Under adjustments to the regulations already ratified, all cars will be impounded after the qualifying session in team garages anyway, with teams only able to carry out laid-out tasks under Steward supervision.

Teams run with almost empty tanks during qualifying because the extra weight affects the nimbleness of the car. Teams would need to decide whether they ran heavy in qualifying and risk a low position and therefore run a long first stint in the race or run light in qualifying and open the race with a sprint before stopping early. Teams will have differing views because some cars run better than others with heavy fuel loads. Aerodynamics and tyres additionally play an important role in the performance of cars at different stages of fuel consumption.

‘What will happen is that you will get some very interesting strategies going on,’ Mosley was quoted by the BBC on-line service. ‘There will be the dilemma of do I want to be fast in qualifying and make an early pitstop or not.’

Should this rule adjustment be accepted, the 15-minute warm-up session proposed for Sunday morning would not likely be kept. This session was part of a draft timetable (see today’s headlines) shown this week.

‘The warm-up on Sunday should disappear and that is now the subject of a vote of the Formula One commission,’ Mosley added.

yeah thats seriously stupid

i just got my copy of F1 magazine today and its got a list of rule changes for the next 3 years in it

the way its goin you might as well call F1 CART by 2005 with standard brakes, rear wings, no engine swaps for 6 races

i'm a die hard F1 fan but i'm starting to lose the faith......

2003 F1 Calendar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATES COUNTRIES CIRCUITS

09/03/2003 AUSTRALIA MELBOURNE
23/03/2003 MALAYSIA SEPANG
06/04/2003 BRAZIL INTERLAGOS
20/04/2003 SAN MARINO IMOLA
04/05/2003 SPAIN BARCELONA
18/05/2003 AUSTRIA A1-RING
01/06/2003 MONACO MONACO
15/06/2003 CANADA MONTREAL
29/06/2003 EUROPE NURBURGRING
06/07/2003 FRANCE MAGNY-COURS
20/07/2003 GREAT BRITAIN SILVERSTONE
03/08/2003 GERMANY HOCKENHEIM
24/08/2003 HUNGARY HUNGARORING
14/09/2003 ITALY MONZA
28/09/2003 U.S.A INDIANAPOLIS
12/10/2003 JAPAN SUZUKA

Latest 2003 Teams, Drivers, and Profiles: Part Two
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We believe this info to be correct at time of press....

TEAMS DRIVER 1 DRIVER 2

FERRARI Michael Schumacher Rubens Barrichello
WILLIAMS BMW Ralf Schumacher Juan-Pablo Montoya
MCLAREN MERCEDES David Coulthard Kimi Raikkonen
RENAULT Jarno Trulli Fernando Alonso
SAUBER PETRONAS Nick Heidfeld Heinz-Harald Frentzen
JORDAN FORD Giancarlo Fisichella Ralph Firman Jr
JAGUAR Mark Webber Antonio Pizzonia
BAR HONDA Jacques Villeneuve Jenson Button
MINARDI COSWORTH Jos Verstappen Justin Wilson
TOYOTA Olivier Panis Cristiano Da Matta

Received it today....now we know who is riding for who and also to plan our races around the F1 season