The Fall Season

David Rogers

Guest
It feels like Fall here in Louisiana. I took a walk this mooring, I went a full mile, and it was
great. The birds were singing and I ended my walk reluctantly. I hope you are getting some Fall
weather where you are.

David

Woo Hoo! Way to go, David. It's a great accomplishment to walk a mile. Think how many people you see
every day who can't walk that far....not that it is a "competition" or anything, but just makes you
realize how you're getting in better shape than you were.

Cat

David Rogers wrote:

> It feels like Fall here in Louisiana. I took a walk this mooring, I went a full mile, and it
> was great. The birds were singing and I ended my walk reluctantly.

The morning is the best part of the day, in my view. On the walk I covered yesterday, the road was
littered with pheasants, literally hundreds of them, scurrying around here and there. You can't beat
a good stroll at dawn.

> I hope you are getting some Fall weather where you are.

The weather's fantastic here in Scotland just now, thanks, an Indian summer, if you like. I daresay
the forecast predicts some rotten weather to come though. :-(

--
Jock

Sounds great in your part of the world. How cold does it get in the winter there ?

David Rogers wrote:

> Sounds great in your part of the world. How cold does it get in the winter there ?

In the winter, daytime temperatures *can* reach 10-15 °C, although the maximum is generally around 5
°C (41 °F). It can get cold inland during the night, making early mornings incredibly refreshing.
According to the Met Office, the Highlands recorded the lowest temperature in Britain, a shivering
-27 °C (-16.6 °F), in 1995.

It's uncannily mild just now, and I'm hoping this peculiarity will persist a while yet.
Fingers crossed!

--
Jock

Sounds like it's pretty cold at times but not too bad. We're blessed with a great winter climate in
the southern part of the U.S. where I live. We're often still wearing short pants and short sleeve
shirts through December. The only months when the temperature is likely to drop below freezing are
January and February.

But the summers, that's another story, makes you want to hibernate. We get lots of rain,
too. How far did you say you were walking each day ? On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:13:25 +0100,

David Rogers wrote:

> How far did you say you were walking each day ?

Well, my walking, and hence my newly-found interest in this 'group, is largely to encourage other
family members who are pitiably inactive. We don't venture out for the sole purpose of walking every
single day, but maybe two, three, or four times per week. We're sporadic walkers. Our jaunts last --
weather permitting! -- between quarter of an hour and a couple of hours. The longest distance
recently (last week) was four and a half miles.

I also run four or five days a week, and cycle a fair number of miles too. The open air is
magnificent: I've never used a treadmill. ;-)

--
Jock

Yes, I know what you mean about inspiring other family members. My wife walks fairly regularly but
my son only walks far enough to get from the house to his car. You seem to be pretty active. I used
to run when I was in school but as I got older I began to have problems with my knees. Although
walking doesn't bother them running led to pain. During the winter, I spend a couple of days each
month camping at a local state park. It offers me a chance to walk in new and beautiful areas which
usually inspires me.