the fat girl wants a bike

hahahahahaha. man are we an OPINIONATED BUNCH!!

I can't really offer anything new, but i would definately like to congratulate you!

I have started really working towards waitloss myself since about May. I think i'm finally on the right course this time. I have really worked and focused on MIXING up the exercises!

I think you sound like a girl who obviously already has a good idea of where you were, where you are, and where you are going, so keep at it!

Personally, I really enjoy bikes, but I find a great deal of my exercise comes from Hiking. I use the hikes as low impact high HR excercises (lots of hilly hikes out here). and i try to jog occasionally, but not excessivly because of my knees. I have also done a little rock climbing. GREAT excercise, but it's hard to get out.

Personally, i have seen better results in myself emotionally, physically, and all that other ally stuff by maintaining a regiment that works very hard on always finding new excercises. It's easier for me when my main focus is new excersises then going to the GYM. I really hate going to the gym, just to boring sitting in that room all day....

wadoflove said:
Good for you! If I might put in my two cents, its important to learn to ride correctly, to make sure the bike is set up correctly and that you use the gears to their best advantage. Start by getting a checkup from your doctor to make sure that your heart is in good shape. Then you need to ride and ride some more. Start with shorter rides of an hour or so on flat roads with a high cadence and just concentrate on enjoying yourself, not on miles covered or hills climbed. As you gain fitness increase the length, or the number of challenges (hills etc.). If you can find a buddy to ride with it is better because when you are not motivated the buddy is (and vice versa).
An hour at a high cadence? :)
If I did an hour at a high cadence I'd need a doctor. :eek:
Seriously though. Take it at you own pace and only for as long as is comfortable. That goes for anyone starting afresh on a bike.
The only competition is with yourself. Find a nice quiet route away from traffic, if possible. That takes you in a nice circle round your home. Then you are never too far away to ride back in comfort from any place on your route.

The worst thing to do is push it too hard to start with. You'll kill the desire to be on the bike. A little and often is safer and far more fun. Avoiding muscle pain is essential. If you ride often. But only for short rides. You'll learn to love being on the bike instead of dreading it. Your distance will increase naturally when you are ready for it. You can then push the circle further out but retain the safety net of never being too far away. Just in case you have an off-day.

Balance the weight evenly between the saddle and handlebars. With a nice comfortable, almost upright position to start with. No long handlebar stems or saddles set too high. That will bend you over and hurt your wrists and hands by throwing your weight forwards.

My wife has just rediscovered her old single speed "granny" bike from her youth. She finds it so effortless and comfortable to ride. I just wish I could keep up! But some things never change. At least I get to ride the 24-speed all alloy mountain bike I got for her. :p

Chrisbee

Wow, one thing is certain. You've received some great advice and support. You're an intelligent woman - go for it! Who knows how much weight you will lose by next summer! As mentioned previously, the muscle tone change will make you feel 'marvelous'.

I wonder if you loved to ride your bike as a little girl...

Congratulations, on the 90 lbs loss, the decision to lose it, and the decision to start biking. My wife and I started the South Beach a year ago June, and started riding a year ago August. SB diet was/is great; more a lifestyle change than a diet, once you get to phase 2 or 3. We both went from 220ish to 175ish. Are no longer carb free, but still no longer have highly processed carbs. Biggest help for us was no more burgers and fries. Also, watch the diet soda; Nutrasweet is getting some pretty bad press. We drink diet soda with Splenda only.
Keep with it, but keep in mind that once you start riding for over an hour and a half or so, you'll need some carbs again. We didn't at first, and it makes a noticible difference. We reward long rides with pasta the night before.

When we first started riding, 10-15 miles was about it, and 10 miles an hour was tops (we had our 10 and 12 year olds along too). We now regularly ride 50-60 miles, and average 15mph (on "comfort" bikes, real upright and no place to hide from the wind :( ). Start slow, and try to use easy/fast cadence gears.

Between the diet and the biking, we both agree we've never felt better!

Congrats again !

I did love it as a little girl. I lived out in the middle of nowhere, so getting to any of my friends' houses was a 3-7 mile ride, which I was always willing to make! Again, thanks to all! Lard bucket, you crack me up!

Congratulations on what you've accomplished (so far!;-). I started out at 380 pounds and am now currently down to 263. I will be losing another 73-83 pounds. Much of this success is due to a renewed passion for bike riding. I have both a mountain bike (Trek) and a road bike (Specialized). I enjoy riding both equally as much. When I started riding, I had to stop to take a drink (I couldn't reach the water bottle!!!). I also have a real nice workout room in a new basement addition. It has a rowing machine, eliptical trainer, stationary bike, and weight machine. This gets me through the winter here in Michigan. I ride as much as possible. In the spring and fall, I will ride unless the temperature is 35 degrees or below. I believe what you and I are doing takes a lifelong lifestyle change. We need to combine healthy eating habits with exercise. I'm very thankful that I've found biking to get me off the couch. I still have problem times when my old eating (and thinking) habits come back, but the key for me is the exercise. If we keep exercising, our slipups will be only temporary and getting back on track will be much easier. I purchased Chris Carmichael's (Lance Armstrong's trainer) book "Food and Fitness" and have learned about fats, protein, and carbs. I think when you look into getting a bike, you should find someone in a bike shop that you trust and let them help you with what you'll need to enjoy regular bicycling. Remember though - when you read about what other people do, it might not be good for you. Take what you learn and fit it to you and your particular situation. Good luck! You have accomplished great things so far, and the best is yet to come!
Lee

Check out the Sept. '05 (current) issue of Bicycling magazine. The feature story is on bigger riders. You're doing great! Just keep riding and tell us all about it. :)

koeneast said:
I haven't had a beer since before Easter, which I feel really is an accomplishment, because I used to be a Guinness girl. Nothing like 2000 calories in a pint! ;)
Guinness only has 125 calories. Who'd a thunk it?

Hi,
As I was riding around a 2 mile golf course that we use for training, I noticed a young heavy-set woman taking a bike off the car rack. It was a Giant TCR. I didn't pay much attention and continued around the course with the bunch. We normally range between 17 and 23 MPH - old guys out for exercise. A short while later the young girl passed us doing 25 mph, without any huffing or puffing. Every man in that group stared in amazement, and believe me, no one had enough courage to chase. She was not just 'chubby'. Her weight was considerable. So think about a sloping frame geometry, and don't quit until they catch you.

koeneast said:
I did love it as a little girl. I lived out in the middle of nowhere, so getting to any of my friends' houses was a 3-7 mile ride, which I was always willing to make! Again, thanks to all! Lard bucket, you crack me up!

Heaps of advice, some that you probably already knew but needed reinforcing.

Met a lady at my local bike shop in January. She had been trying to loose weight for 3 years but the more she worried about it the worse it got. Nothin worked, no diets worked, no supplements worked no wacko stuff worked and she was too big to do any exercise. When she hit 500lb she decided drastic action was needed. Went to bike shop and bought a bog standard bike, had touring wheels and slicks put on and off she went. Its cheap so it doesnt matter if she kills it and, if she enjoys cycling will probably upgrade in due course. I met her after 6 months of riding and 100lb lighter.

Her "secret", eat less and ride more, and more.

According to the guys in the shop she is now 295 and has a big smile.

You can do it.

Hugh

First of all, congrats on the weight loss and having the courage and tenacity to change your life and stick with it!!!!!!

As for bikes, there are a couple out there that I have heard are made for larger riders. The only one that I can think of by name is the Kona Hoss, and it is used by some big guys over in another cycling forum. As daveornee mentioned, the wheels will need to be built well too. Also, check out this months Bicycling magazine, as it has a couple stories of big guys that started riding for their health--it also goes a bit into their equipment choices, so that may help you out. If you have a hard time finding the issue, PM me your address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Good luck in bike shopping and your continued weight loss and health improvement!!

It has been more than a year since koeneast start this thread and 11 months since she last posted. I am curious as to how she is doing.

Koeneast, have you been lurking all of this time? Let us know how you are doing.

Koeneast rides! Thanks for all of the support, ideas, advice, etc. In March I took the plunge and got myself a TREK 3700 Mountain Bike. I have been happily riding it almost every day since then and have lost an additional 40 pounds. I love my new hobby, and the competitor in me sometimes rears its ugly head through my bike. For example- I decided to try single track riding one day- loved it! However, I might have bitten off more than I could chew, and realized it as I was careening down a "mountain" (I live in WI, let's face it there are no real mountains) but I steeper hill than I should have been on. I reached the bottom in one piece, and as I did, looked up just for a second. I know, I know, never take your eyes off the trail. . . Well I did, and at that moment, a giant hole came out of nowhere and swallowed my front tire. . . Long story short, I flipped end over end into a patch of poison Ivy. :eek: Let's just say it was a bit of a learning day. Anyway, thanks again to all those wishing me well, I am doing great, loving my bike, and loving life as well! Have a great day and happy riding!

koeneast said:
Koeneast rides! Thanks for all of the support, ideas, advice, etc. In March I took the plunge and got myself a TREK 3700 Mountain Bike. I have been happily riding it almost every day since then and have lost an additional 40 pounds. I love my new hobby, and the competitor in me sometimes rears its ugly head through my bike. For example- I decided to try single track riding one day- loved it! However, I might have bitten off more than I could chew, and realized it as I was careening down a "mountain" (I live in WI, let's face it there are no real mountains) but I steeper hill than I should have been on. I reached the bottom in one piece, and as I did, looked up just for a second. I know, I know, never take your eyes off the trail. . . Well I did, and at that moment, a giant hole came out of nowhere and swallowed my front tire. . . Long story short, I flipped end over end into a patch of poison Ivy. :eek: Let's just say it was a bit of a learning day. Anyway, thanks again to all those wishing me well, I am doing great, loving my bike, and loving life as well! Have a great day and happy riding!

its funny at my work they say i "exercise a lot" since i cycle 5-6 days a week...for me though i never ever exercise. exercise is work...work is unpleasant...i just ride b/c i love to ride. the point if you are fortunate enough to find something you love that happens to keep you in shape you have arrived!

thanks for inspiring us all

jbd

If you're still big, check out a nice upright "cruiser". They typically have higher handle bars, and a big seat. A big seat, with good springs is extremely comfortable - and if you're still large, may be neccessary. It'll allow you to still excercise and do what you love. I agree abou the whole gym etc, but combining fun with excercise is really the secret.

Personal advice on healthy living (old school):
-- Excercise or regular activity is the only way.
-- Eat natural - the closer to earth the better. Cook at home. NO PROCESSED FOODS, refined, frozen etc. Forget diets, just eat nature. Buy fresh veggies and fruits, and if you can find a butcher for meats. Grow your own.
-- Stay away from Diet, Low Fat, Reduced Fat, Nutra Sweet, etc, etc,... not good for your health.
-- Vegetarianism with fish diet is excellent
-- If you have access to local dairy farms, drink non-pasteurized milk. This will save your bones in the future.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/City_Bike_Path/Cruiser/Classic/Index.php

Congrats !!!!

I do not want to hijack this thread, but PolishPaul, I do not understand this statement:
If you have access to local dairy farms, drink non-pasteurized milk. This will save your bones in the future.
Drinking non-pasteurized milk increases the risk of tuberculosis and atypical mycobacterium infections, but pasteurization has no effect on the calcium content, and processed milk has vitamin D added to it. Unless you are cycling with long sleeves and long pants all of the time, the body produces enough vitamin D, anyway, so what are the advantages of non-pasteurized milk that could possibly outweigh the risk of infection?

Sounds liek things are going well. Congrats, 40 pounds in 11 months is a great goal. Slow weight loss usually leads to long term weight loss. And I love my Trek MTB as well. A good choice.

RickF said:
I do not want to hijack this thread, but PolishPaul, I do not understand this statement:Drinking non-pasteurized milk increases the risk of tuberculosis and atypical mycobacterium infections, but pasteurization has no effect on the calcium content, and processed milk has vitamin D added to it. Unless you are cycling with long sleeves and long pants all of the time, the body produces enough vitamin D, anyway, so what are the advantages of non-pasteurized milk that could possibly outweigh the risk of infection?
Drinking non-pasteurized milk will help in many ways. First the Calcium in the milk is absorbed naturally by our body, in pasteurized milk most of the calcium is useless. Our body compensates by drawing calcium from bones to blood. Also some of those bacteria are very healthy for our bodies. We live in a society now that if something doesn't come in a sterile pretty package it isn't good for us. How do you think people lived all this time in the past?

I grew up drinking natural milk and nothing bad ever happened. If you're transporting milk and distributing it long distances (like we do now), then yes, we must pasteurize it. But if you have local farm nearby, there' sno reason to do so! There's nothing healthier than fresh milk (which you get great cream, then sour cream, and can make delicious cheeses from). Why do you think the "western" civilizations have so many diseases? Osteoperosis, diabetes, etc etc... Look at cultures without modernization and you won't find any of that. Why??? They eat non-proccessed foods! And they are not fat either, even though they eat all those things that are supposed to be "bad" for you....

So in conclusion, don't be afraid of nature, be smart. Nature isn't the one messing with us, we're the ones messing with nature thinking we're improving things. (granted there are always situations where it may be necessary to do so). And no, i'm not a hippie - i just grew up with more natural foods and we all live much healthier lives...

Sorry to continue this, but I'd like to see your references, PolishPaul. Here is mine, a factual, scientific, researched publication from a widely known and accepted organisation--the US Food and Drug Administration. The pasteurization process does not affect the amount of nutrients in milk, it kills organisms--plain and simple.

From http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_milk.html :

" Raw milk advocates claim that unprocessed milk is healthier because pasteurization destroys nutrients and the enzymes necessary to absorb calcium. It also kills beneficial bacteria and is associated with allergies, arthritis, and other diseases, they say.

This is simply not the case, says Sheehan. Research has shown that there is no significant difference in the nutritional value of pasteurized and unpasteurized milk, he says. The caseins, the major family of milk proteins, are largely unaffected, and any modification in whey protein that might occur is barely perceptible.

"Milk is a good source of the vitamins thiamine, folate, B-12, and riboflavin," adds Sheehan, "and pasteurization results in losses of anywhere from zero to 10 percent for each of these, which most would consider only a marginal reduction."

While the major nutrients are left unchanged by pasteurization, vitamin D, which enhances the body's absorption of calcium, is added to processed milk. Vitamin D is not found in significant levels in raw milk.

"Pasteurization will destroy some enzymes," says Barbara Ingham, Ph.D., associate professor and extension food scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "But the enzymes that are naturally present in milk are bovine enzymes. Our bodies don't use animal enzymes to help metabolize calcium and other nutrients."

"Enzymes in the food that we eat and drink are broken down in the human gastrointestinal tract," adds Ingham. "Human bodies rely on our own native enzymes to digest and metabolize food." "

in pasteurized milk most of the calcium is useless.
That is not true. The only thing different is that the small amount of vitamin D that was present in the non-pasteurized milk might be destroyed, and vitamin D is necessary to absorb calcium. As I said before, processed milk has more vitamin D added, and the body makes enough vitamin D naturally as long as you have some exposure to sunlight.

There is a big difference between pasteurization and sterilization. Not all bacteria are killed by pasteurization. Pasteurization has little to do with transportation or storage of milk, but it has a lot to do with reducing the spread of mycobacteria. My aunt and uncle owned a dairy farm, and my aunt would pasteurize the milk they used for their own consumption on the farm. Homoginization is a different issue, but pasteurization does not do a thing to change the nutritional value of milk.

If you want to talk about "natural", there is nothing at all natural about anything other than a calf drinking cow's milk. I agree that many of the ills of western civilizations come from overeating and under exercising. The link to processed food is only that processing food makes it too easy to overeat by concentrating calories and making food too readily available.