The Fattie Epidemic

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html

    NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000 will become diabetic unless
    many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with the Centers for Disease
    Control and Prevention warns.

    <snip>

    The implications are frightening. Diabetes leads to a host of problems, including blindness, kidney
    failure, amputation and heart disease, and diabetics are getting younger and younger.

    <snip>

    Doctors had known for some time that Type 2 diabetes -- what used to be called adult-onset diabetes
    because it typically showed up in middle-aged people -- is on the rise, and that patients are
    getting younger. Nobody else had crunched the numbers to look at current odds of getting the
    disease, Narayan said. Overall, he said, 39 percent of the girls who now are healthy 21/2- to
    3-year-olds and 33 percent of the boys are likely to develop diabetes, he said.

    <snip>

    Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed by losing weight, exercising and following a
    sensible diet.

    <snip><end

    Tags:

  2. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html
    >
    > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000 will become diabetic unless
    > many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with the Centers for Disease
    > Control and Prevention warns.

    Henry, you might want to read the first paragraph.

    http://www.unibs.it/~lucchini/abstracts/FreePres9.htm

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?

    I think it is going to get worse. Most Americans I know are in the habit of lying to each other
    about their state of fatness. Most overweight people socialize mostly or wholly with other fatties.
    This has always been the case, but the trend that is dangerous IMO is that people are not taking
    responsibility for anything, including getting fat! FOr example, every poor behavior is labeled an
    addiction. People just cop out, blame their addiction and then instead of dealing with it (by losing
    weight) they change their life around to support the poor behavior. There was a movie a while ago
    called "Shallow Hal". In this movie there is a character that weighs about 200 kilos. To make a long
    story short, this character eats everything in sight but claims that she "used to eat like a bird
    but it didn't make any difference". I can't tell you how many fat people over the years that I have
    heard make that claim. Whenever I hear someone say that, I know they are fat for life.

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html

    > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000
    will
    > become diabetic unless many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with
    > the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    warns.

    > <snip>
    >

    > The implications are frightening. Diabetes leads to a host of problems, including blindness,
    > kidney failure, amputation and heart disease, and diabetics are getting younger and younger.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Doctors had known for some time that Type 2 diabetes -- what used to be called adult-onset
    > diabetes because it typically showed up in middle-aged people -- is on the rise, and that patients
    > are getting younger. Nobody else had crunched the numbers to look at current odds of getting
    the
    > disease, Narayan said. Overall, he said, 39 percent of the girls who now are healthy 21/2- to
    > 3-year-olds and 33 percent of the boys are likely to develop diabetes, he said.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed by losing weight, exercising
    and
    > following a sensible diet.
    >
    > <snip><end

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?

    I think it is going to get worse. Most Americans I know are in the habit of lying to each other
    about their state of fatness. Most overweight people socialize mostly or wholly with other fatties.
    This has always been the case, but the trend that is dangerous IMO is that people are not taking
    responsibility for anything, including getting fat! FOr example, every poor behavior is labeled an
    addiction. People just cop out, blame their addiction and then instead of dealing with it (by losing
    weight) they change their life around to support the poor behavior. There was a movie a while ago
    called "Shallow Hal". In this movie there is a character that weighs about 200 kilos. To make a long
    story short, this character eats everything in sight but claims that she "used to eat like a bird
    but it didn't make any difference". I can't tell you how many fat people over the years that I have
    heard make that claim. Whenever I hear someone say that, I know they are fat for life.

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html

    > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000
    will
    > become diabetic unless many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with
    > the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    warns.

    > <snip>
    >

    > The implications are frightening. Diabetes leads to a host of problems, including blindness,
    > kidney failure, amputation and heart disease, and diabetics are getting younger and younger.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Doctors had known for some time that Type 2 diabetes -- what used to be called adult-onset
    > diabetes because it typically showed up in middle-aged people -- is on the rise, and that patients
    > are getting younger. Nobody else had crunched the numbers to look at current odds of getting
    the
    > disease, Narayan said. Overall, he said, 39 percent of the girls who now are healthy 21/2- to
    > 3-year-olds and 33 percent of the boys are likely to develop diabetes, he said.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed by losing weight, exercising
    and
    > following a sensible diet.
    >
    > <snip><end

  5. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html
    >
    > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000 will become diabetic unless
    > many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with the Centers for Disease
    > Control and Prevention warns.

    All the more reason for me to dump engineering and go into fitness education.

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:
    > To make a long story short, this character eats everything in sight but claims that she "used to
    > eat like a bird but it didn't make any difference". I can't tell you how many fat people over the
    > years that I have heard make that claim. Whenever I hear someone say that, I know they are fat
    > for life.

    I know of one fat person in particular, with fat kids and a fat husband. Snacks on carrots and salad
    in the office. Claims to hardly eat anything. Never exercises. Went to their house once. On every
    table, countertop, and next to the computer...was junkfood.

    -WG

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?

    Another bully-pulpit type of presidential initiative might help. Not very creative, I know, but it's
    all I've got.

  8. "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done
    about
    > > this?
    >
    > Another bully-pulpit type of presidential initiative might help. Not very creative, I know, but
    > it's all I've got.

    Tax credits based upon Body Mass Index.

    Since overweight people are much more likely to be ill in their old age, they will be more likely to
    be a burden on social services like Medicaid, therefore they should pay more. Just like reckless
    drivers are more likely to rack up accidents - they pay more in car insurance.

  9. Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tax credits based upon Body Mass Index. Since overweight people are much more likely to be ill in
    > their old age, they will be more likely to be a burden on social services like Medicaid, therefore
    > they should pay more. Just like reckless drivers are more likely to rack up accidents - they pay
    > more in car insurance.

    That will never fly politically, of course. The Fattie Lobby will be very powerful.

    A more free market idea (Henry, I'm surprised it takes a commie like me to point this out) is
    employer incentives, especially since employers and pension plans are paying for obesity-induced
    problems through vast quantities of medical insurance. Some employers already try this, with
    incentive programs (money or vacation for losing weight, on-site gyms and fitness instructors,
    subsidized gym membership, etc.) Unfortunately, the last article I read about this suggested that
    results were mixed. There are always a few success stories and a lot of people for whom it
    doesn't stick.

    Or we could raise the price of gas to $8/gallon and make an incentive for people to walk 15 minutes
    to and from a bus stop every day. That would work and have all sorts of great side effects (reduced
    dependence on foreign oil, better cycling training rides), but it might also cause armed revolution.

  10. Benjamin Weiner wrote:

    > Or we could raise the price of gas to $8/gallon and make an incentive for people to walk 15
    > minutes to and from a bus stop every day. That would work and have all sorts of great side effects
    > (reduced dependence on foreign oil, better cycling training rides), but it might also cause armed
    > revolution.

    yeah, but this wouldn't be so cool with the distribution industry (and there's a lot of it). heather

  11. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    heather halvorson wrote:

    > Benjamin Weiner wrote:
    > >

    > > Or we could raise the price of gas to $8/gallon and make an incentive for people to walk 15
    > > minutes to and from a bus stop every day. That would work and have all sorts of great side
    > > effects (reduced dependence on foreign oil, better cycling training rides), but it might also
    > > cause armed revolution.
    >
    > yeah, but this wouldn't be so cool with the distribution industry (and there's a lot of
    > it). heather

    Just a slight realignment period. Railroad steam engines run just fine on coal or wood. And steam
    engines are 1/3 the cost of diesels to build. That's why they still dominate the third world.

  12. "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html

    > > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000
    will
    > > become diabetic unless many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with
    > > the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    warns.

    > All the more reason for me to dump engineering and go into fitness education.

    There you have it! That's exactly what one of my friends did. He dumped his business building
    furniture and sold his shop, moved to Palm Springs and took a job as a fitness instructor. He been
    bike riding more and doing all these other exercises that he gets paid to do and he says he feels
    better then he has in 20 years. Why not get paid to look, feel and actually be physical healthy? In
    our little town the cops strap the Mountain bikes on the back of police cars and take them
    everywhere when they are not actually riding them and they do ride them quite a bit around town on
    the job. The good part about that up in the mountains here they actually get a pretty good workout
    when they ride because everything is up and down.

    B-

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  13. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done
    about
    > > this?
    >
    > Another bully-pulpit type of presidential initiative might help. Not very creative, I know, but
    > it's all I've got.

    Maybe somehow obesity can be tied to supporting terrorism? Wait, nevermind. That line didn't work
    for drugs and it didn't work for gas guzzlers.

  14. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    David Ryan wrote:

    > Just a slight realignment period. Railroad steam engines run just fine on coal or wood. And steam
    > engines are 1/3 the cost of diesels to build. That's why they still dominate the third world.

    You're not seriously suggesting a return to coal burning, are you? I think keeping the fatties fat
    would be healthier.

  15. Nick Burns wrote:
    > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?

    Yeah, natural selection will deal very nicely with the problem...but it will take awhile.

    Until the last few hundred years, food was so scarce that "fattie" genes were actually a good thing.
    So so at the moment.

    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

  16. "Dominic Richens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?
    >
    > Yeah, natural selection will deal very nicely with the problem...but it
    will
    > take awhile.

    <snip>

    I don't think it will happen. Most overweight people reproduce before the Fattie diseases kill them.

  17. heather halvorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Benjamin Weiner wrote:

    > > Or we could raise the price of gas to $8/gallon and make an incentive for people to walk 15
    > > minutes to and from a bus stop every day. That would work and have all sorts of great side
    > > effects (reduced dependence on foreign oil, better cycling training rides), but it might also
    > > cause armed revolution.

    > yeah, but this wouldn't be so cool with the distribution industry (and there's a lot of it).

    True. People would have to pay more for stuff, which would be un-American. The Euros manage with
    higher gas prices, but they are used to paying more for things. Also, their countries are smaller
    and population more clustered. The US is too big and too spread out and suburbanized for any simple
    solution - many people don't live within 15 min of a bus stop, despite what I said above.

    "Dear Mr. President, There are too many states. Please eliminate three.

    -Grandpa Simpson

    P.S. I am not a crackpot."

  18. Urhome

    Urhome Guest

    Sugar, flour, rice, potatoes and saturated fat are cheap. Eating chicken, fish, vegetables is more
    expensive than eating hamburgers and fries and saying no to ice cream and cookies is impossible for
    carboholics.Dr. Atkins had a very powerful lobby against him, not to mention all of those that do
    not even believe in eating meat or cheese because it's cruel or fattening or both.

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a serious question. Do you suppose that anything can be done about this?
    >
    > I think it is going to get worse. Most Americans I know are in the habit
    of
    > lying to each other about their state of fatness. Most overweight people socialize mostly or
    > wholly with other fatties. This has always been the case, but the trend that is dangerous IMO is
    > that people are not taking responsibility for anything, including getting fat! FOr example, every
    poor
    > behavior is labeled an addiction. People just cop out, blame their
    addiction
    > and then instead of dealing with it (by losing weight) they change their life around to support
    > the poor behavior. There was a movie a while ago called "Shallow Hal". In this movie there is a
    > character that weighs about 200 kilos. To make a long story short, this character eats everything
    > in sight but claims that she "used to eat like a bird but it didn't make any difference". I can't
    > tell you how many fat people over the years that I
    have
    > heard make that claim. Whenever I hear someone say that, I know they are
    fat
    > for life.

    http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/06/14/diabetes.risk.ap/index.html

    > > NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- One in three U.S. children born in 2000
    > will
    > > become diabetic unless many more people start eating less and exercising more, a scientist with
    > > the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    > warns.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >

    > > The implications are frightening. Diabetes leads to a host of problems, including blindness,
    > > kidney failure, amputation and heart disease, and diabetics are getting younger and younger.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Doctors had known for some time that Type 2 diabetes -- what used to be called adult-onset
    > > diabetes because it typically showed up in
    middle-aged
    > > people -- is on the rise, and that patients are getting younger. Nobody else had crunched the
    > > numbers to look at current odds of getting
    > the
    > > disease, Narayan said. Overall, he said, 39 percent of the girls who now are healthy 21/2- to
    > > 3-year-olds and 33 percent of the boys are likely to develop diabetes,
    he
    > > said.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed by losing weight, exercising
    > and
    > > following a sensible diet.
    > >
    > > <snip><end>

  19. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "urhome" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sugar, flour, rice, potatoes and saturated fat are cheap. Eating chicken, fish, vegetables is more
    > expensive than eating hamburgers and fries and saying no to ice cream and cookies is impossible
    > for carboholics.Dr.
    Atkins
    > had a very powerful lobby against him, not to mention all of those that do not even believe in
    > eating meat or cheese because it's cruel or fattening
    or
    > both.

    Dr. Atkins was a kook but he did have a good idea.

    Make the fatties believe that red meat, french fries, Big Mac's and ribs are good for them.

    Dashii

  20. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Or we could raise the price of gas to $8/gallon and make an incentive for people to walk 15
    > minutes to and from a bus stop every day.

    Who is this "we" that will raise the price of gas?

    I don't think that you are in a position to do anything other than to "shit" when Dick Cheney
    tells you to.

    > That would work and have all sorts of great side effects (reduced dependence on foreign oil,
    > better cycling training rides), but it might also cause armed revolution.

    Or one-armed revolution or un-armed revolution or no revolution at all.

    Dashii