The final Radio Shack team...

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by gman0482, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

It's sponsorship...it's advertising. Of course it's about dollars. Pro cycling isn't a charity for the sake of sport. Even amateur cycling isn't. lol If RadioShack was interested in the good of humanity over the "All Mighty Dollar" then they would be sponsoring well-digging in Africa, not guys in tights. In this economy, it's a good thing any company (not cycling related) is willing to sponsor a cycling team. I wouldn't.

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Sponsorship? Advertising? Really? I thought those professional riders raced their bikes for free. That strawman you've created to debate with must be pretty formidable. Anyway, it'll be interesting to notice if those 'Livestrong' charitable foundation funds get co-mingled with those of the RadioShack professional cycling organization.

Regardless, the bringing of the Japanese and Chinese racers on board blatantly smacks of patronage. Do other teams do the same? Probably. Good (maybe) for the careers of the two cyclists involved, but they're pawns in the game IMO...

3. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

So what?

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Brilliant question!
    LOL! Existentialistic angst at its finest...

5. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

unless there are things which havent been stated publicly (which is likely), this is a dumb move by beppu imo. hes not the calibur of rider that can ruffle feathers like hes doing. if skil shimano has their way, i see him finishing out his contract with them in a marginalized role and then shipped back to japan where he will race for a minor league team. nobodys going to want to deal with him after this.

6. sogood

sogood New Member

Agreed. Sounded like he was immature and have not an inkling of understanding in what a contract is.

7. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

More existential than angst...but I was drinking espresso at the time. :cool: I think it's profound enough to make it my signature line.

8. Corporate Gifts

Corporate Gifts New Member

NFL GameTime is the Most Challenging, Exciting NFL Strategy Game Ever
    Players Battle Head-to-Head for Glory
    Comes With Authentic NFL Field Detailing
    Unique Play Rotor Adds the Element of Chance
    Matrix LCD Tracks the Game With Realistic Sounds and Announcer Voice
    There are Over 1,000 Play Combinations
    Control Every Phase of the Game, Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

9. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

A detail that hasn't been missed by Broomwagon in Cycle Sport USA, either. It looks like Lance just signed all his buddies, who are just as nearly over the hill as he is. This will be an interesting July.

10. Jonny_D

Jonny_D New Member

So glad to see Chris Horner still rocking the pedals.

11. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Zubeldia is also getting on a bit isn't he? Still, they have some younger talent in Popo and Braj.

Older riders still have good sustainable power, it's the ability to repeatedly attack or follow attacks that they lack, so Schleck and Contador will leave them in the dust with a series of accelerations. I think they'll place a couple of riders in the top 10 at the tour this year, Armstrong being one of them but I think age does take it's toll eventually and when the younger generation start attacking it'll be game over and off to retirement for the older folks. Having said that, wasn't the womens time trial silver medalist at the last olympics 49 or something?

12. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

You must be talking about Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli.

Radio Shack might well place some riders in the top ten next July, but their lineup suggests they aren't thinking about future development.

13. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

they have some younger talent lie taylor phinney, but that would be dependent on his actually being promoted to the pro team.

14. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Apparently "the guys are gearing up at training camp this week" :eek: :confused:

15. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Looks like Beppu's big hand helping Lance in a breakaway of the TDF last year earned him a place on The Shack!