The Final Stage - Could Schleck Still Eek Out a Win?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Ted B, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Bjarne Riis (Mr. '60') is pretty good at tactics. With only a handful of seconds between GC 1 & 2 going into Paris, one can't help but wonder if there were a way to shake things up a bit in the finale.

What if the Saxo Bank team all suddenly jumped onto TT bikes and broke into a TTT all the way to the finish? Unprecedented and probably a longshot, but it would be entertaining.

Any better ideas?

Tags:

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

Saxo jumping on TT bikes and riding 100k TTT is less possible than Armstrong going on a solo attack for the eight title. They could make a joke like Millar and Wiggins did last year with their track skin-suits.
    Even if Contador crashes and motorbike runs over his legs he would be dragged down to Champs Elysees and given the jersey.
    1 second of difference could make tension, but just for show.
    Nothing but the TDF credits and sprint finish should be expected tomorrow.
    And it's well measured length of the stage with hour of criterium like racing and hour and a half of carnival before it.

Edit:
    In fact, it would be great if Saxo would roll out in their aero equipment, Contador makes serious face and doesn't cheer with Champaign, sending Vino in breakaway, (to be there for him) while marking Schleck.
    Just to relativize importance of seconds gained and lost in crashes and mechanical mishaps, since fans are still passionately discussing about it, while they (who are directly involved and have personal interest) have already put it ad acta.

3. Ted B

Ted B New Member

That's probably more likely than not, but then again, attacks on the final stage have been made before. I recall Lemond making a solo break in '92 that wasn't reeled in until fairly close to the end.

I'm not saying such an idea is necessarily practical or that it would succeed, but Cancellara does have a big engine ...

4. genedan

genedan New Member

Cancellara has a big engine, but Andy Schleck does not (in terms of TT). If they tried doing that TTT thing, Andy wouldn't be able to hold his wheel.

5. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Also, this is the most important stage for the sprinters. I doubt the field lets Saxo fly off the front unless Saxo can take adavantage of a crash like they did in stage 3 on the cobbles.

6. Chavez

Chavez New Member

What if Riis forms an alliance with Cervelo - Saxo/Cervelo TTT to the finish, Hushovd gets green, Schleck gets yellow. Keep back some foot soldiers to f*ck up the chase wherever possible.

Unlikely, but why not?

7. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Not saying it isn't possible, but I would be shocked.:eek: You would have Garmin, Lampre, Rabobank, HTC, Sky and obviously Astana chasing, as well as other teams (possibly Katusha for Robbie and Rabo for Friere) that feel they have a shot of victory on the Champs-Elysees. It sure would make the final stage interesting, which a field sprint is something of a formality except for 2005 where Vino caught everyone out to take the victory.

8. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Oh, so would I.

Maybe Riis needs to ally with two teams....Garmin could use a stage win, right?

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

He could eek out a win, but doubtful. I still going with Contador who was my #2 pick I choose to win the tour at the beginning of the race. See post titled Hey Lance. But the race isn't over yet, but barring any crashes or the such, Contador should win it.

10. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Would Saxo attack the yellow jersey on the last stage of the tour? I know they probably feel slighted because of AC attacking during a mechanical, but attacking the tour leader going into Paris is another unwritten rule; I'm not sure I ever remember that happening before. Perhaps all unwritten rules have been thrown out. Maybe Astana should hold off on drink Champagne during the stage just incase there is an attack.

11. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Exactly. After all, it's still a race, and since unwritten rules seem to have taken a back seat for the time being, why not? I'd love to see an ambush and some real fireworks on the final day. Surely some alliances could improve the chances of something like this being successful. I'd much rather watch a gutsy move to win the race than a lame club ride with champagne drinking.

12. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Saxo in tt gear??? Wow. Wouldn't that be a sight!! Sure would stir things up in the tdf tradition. Would make for a seriously exciting last day.

13. baker3

baker3 New Member

This thread is a p_ss take right?