The final straw on heart rate minimums and maximums and all the inbetween

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by firegooroo, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Clark six8

Clark six8 New Member

So Lance and most of the other pros don't do weight lifting for strength training?

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

see the Gym thread. most pros don't do weights

3. cheapie

cheapie New Member

i think my max hr is 212 because that as high as i can get it while sprinting for 2 minutes on a treadmill. is there any reason that that wouldn't be correct?

4. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Not so much that it wouldn't be correct but that you have different max's for different sports as I have come to find out through some research. an example is running versus cycling. You can reach a higher max running than you can on a bike. Try to get to 212 on the bike I bet you would have a hard time getting to if at all. Same thing with swimming. :)

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

a trained cyclist will get an equal or higher HRmax and/or VO2max, assuming they aren't a trained runner

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree. When I first started cycling, I couldn't hit or hold as high an HR as during running due to muscle fatigue and burning. Now, after a few years of riding, no problem at all going to my max.

It's not all that uncomfortable at 95% of max anymore. In fact, those big numbers come up all too easily on climbs, especially after a couple of hours of riding in the heat.

7. mitosis

mitosis New Member

You made that claim before. All my information says that even well trained, you will get near the running max hr on a bike but running will always be higher. I'm not challenging you but I'm obviously not reading what you are. Can you give me a reference? :eek:

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

check most/any proper physiology texts

ric

9. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

The difference for most people would be that you are likely to be at better trained at running than cycling for the average individual? (Because most physical activity/sports involve running, but only cycling involves cycling).

10. mitosis

mitosis New Member

That's where I got my original information. I've studied physiology at uni.

11. smallyke

smallyke New Member

i did a vo2max test and take 70 percent or 65 percent of my vo2max what is say 82% and 77% of my heart rate max i settle my polar to those two values most of the time and once a week i train above lactate thresshold just to get used to the feeling.training at those heart rates did miracles for me after 2 months of training i am gaining serious fitness i also use this wile doing some running etc...