The first reported Segway theft

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Buck, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o
    r p . c o m> writes:
    > http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/segwayrob1.html

Segways are cars.

Gutless, driver's-seat-less, two-wheeled electric cars, that should be regulated as such.

Cars get stolen all the time.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

2. On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:49:20 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
    >In article <UE7La.35266$xg[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o
    >r p . c o m> writes:
    >> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/segwayrob1.html
    >
    >Segways are cars.
    >
    >Gutless, driver's-seat-less, two-wheeled electric cars, that should be regulated as such.
    >
    >Cars get stolen all the time.

Motorcycle trikes are cars. They just miss a front wheel and a roof, but then, not all cars have a
    roof and not all cars have 4 wheels. They should be regulated as such. Motorcycles are cars. They're
    just missing the extra rear wheel, and should be regulated as such. Mopeds are cars. They just have
    slightly less engine power, and should be regulated as such. Bicycles are cars, they're just missing
    the engine and should be regulated as such.

Jasper

(Closer to a motorcycle or an electric bike than a car, IMHO.)

3. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:49:20 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
    >>In article <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c
    >>o r p . c o m> writes:
    >>> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/segwayrob1.html
    >>
    >>Segways are cars.
    >>
    >>Gutless, driver's-seat-less, two-wheeled electric cars, that should be regulated as such.
    >>
    >>Cars get stolen all the time.
    >
    > Motorcycle trikes are cars. They just miss a front wheel and a roof, but then, not all cars have a
    > roof and not all cars have 4 wheels. They should be regulated as such. Motorcycles are cars.
    > They're just missing the extra rear wheel, and should be regulated as such. Mopeds are cars. They
    > just have slightly less engine power, and should be regulated as such. Bicycles are cars, they're
    > just missing the engine and should be regulated as such.

Motorcycles (and mopeds) are motorcycles, and already have their regulations entrenched. Same with
    bicycles. But Segways are a johnny-come-lately thing that have so many people stymied as to how to
    regard them, thanx to their oddball configuration & design. But Segways are, nevertheless, cars.
    Heck, the guy who had his Segway ripped off, parked it outside. Like any other car.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

4. Bernie

Bernie Guest

Tom Keats wrote: But

> Segways are a johnny-come-lately thing that have so many people stymied as to how to regard them,
    > thanx to their oddball configuration & design. But Segways are, nevertheless, cars. Heck, the guy
    > who had his Segway ripped off, parked it outside. Like any other car.
    >
    > cheers, Tom

Isn't the difference between bicycles and cars, motorcycles, mopeds, segways, etc. the simple fact
    that bicyles are human powered vehicles and the others are motorized? Bernie

5. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:11:56 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>Isn't the difference between bicycles and cars, motorcycles, mopeds, segways, etc. the simple fact
    >that bicyles are human powered vehicles and the others are motorized?

The Segway is an anomaly, in that although it is powered it does not require a licence. I guess it
    fits in with electric wheelchairs and the like. A mobility appliance for those whose main disability
    is chronic idleness, perhaps?

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

6. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes:

> The Segway is an anomaly, in that although it is powered it does not
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't be fooled by appearances. Although that is, no doubt, what Segway purveyors hope for.

> require a licence. I guess it fits in with electric wheelchairs and the like. A mobility appliance
    > for those whose main disability is chronic idleness, perhaps?

No, Segways are /cars/, dammit! <VBG>

Actually, your last sentence in the above quote states my case rather eloquently.

As cars, they have no business being on sidewalks/pavements.

I'm sure you've noticed how people are so ambivalent about Segways. That's because people realize,
    if only at a subconscious level, that Segways are cars.

cheers, & Segways are cars -- spread the word, Tom

--
    [point] bc [point] ca

7. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:

> Isn't the difference between bicycles and cars, motorcycles, mopeds, segways, etc. the simple fact
    > that bicyles are human powered vehicles and the others are motorized?

Besides being a physical object, a car is something that inspires a "car" state-of-mind in it's
    owner/operator.

I submit that Segways do that, too. And in that light, when someone buys a Segway, they're buying a
    spare car.

cheers, Tom

--
    [point] bc [point] ca

8. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:15:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:11:56 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Isn't the difference between bicycles and cars, motorcycles, mopeds, segways, etc. the simple fact
    >>that bicyles are human powered vehicles and the others are motorized?
    >
    >The Segway is an anomaly, in that although it is powered it does not require a licence. I guess it
    >fits in with electric wheelchairs and the like. A mobility appliance for those whose main
    >disability is chronic idleness, perhaps?

Electric bicycles don't require a license either, nor do mopeds (here, at least). The segway's a lot
    closer to an electric bicycle than it is to a car.

Jasper

9. Chris Neary

Chris Neary Guest

>Besides being a physical object, a car is something that inspires a "car" state-of-mind in it's
    >owner/operator.
    >
    >I submit that Segways do that, too.

Data, please.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Information, usually seen as the precondition of debate, is better understood as its by-product." -
    Christopher Lasch

10. Bernie

Bernie Guest

Buck wrote:

> "Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Electric bicycles don't require a license either, nor do mopeds (here, at least). The segway's a
    > > lot closer to an electric bicycle than it is to a car.
    >
    > Dangit Jasper, just when I have my opinion about you pretty much settled, you have to go and write
    > something I agree with.
    >
    > -Buck

Okay... But if they are transportation, and the operator is not disabled... then whether they be
    cars, bikes, electric transports for the chronically lazy, or whatever, they ain't allowed on the
    [email protected]#$%^ sidewalk. That's for pedestrians. My tuppence 'orth Bernie

11. Effi

Effi Guest

maybe a pioneer just discovered it

12. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:43:13 GMT, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
    >"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >> Electric bicycles don't require a license either, nor do mopeds (here, at least). The segway's a
    >> lot closer to an electric bicycle than it is to a car.
    >
    >Dangit Jasper, just when I have my opinion about you pretty much settled, you have to go and write
    >something I agree with.

Even a stopped clock's wrong 23:59:58 of the da.. wait, that's not what I wanted to say. ..is right
    twice a day, was it.

Jasper (doesn't mind of people don't agree with him) Janssen

13. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:45:01 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay... But if they are transportation, and the operator is not disabled... then whether they be
    >cars, bikes, electric transports for the chronically lazy, or whatever, they ain't allowed on the
    >[email protected]#$%^ sidewalk. That's for pedestrians.

Don't you people have your wheelchairs on the sidewalk? How about electric wheelchairs? How about
    the reaaaaaally big electric wheelchairs that have at least as much horsepower as an anemic moped
    and far better torque?

Besides, the people at Segway are trying to get the law changed so that they *are* allowed on,
    they're not trying to get people to go on the sidewalk when it's not allowed.

Jasper

14. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:45:01 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Okay... But if they are transportation, and the operator is not disabled... then whether they be
    > >cars, bikes, electric transports for the chronically lazy, or whatever, they ain't allowed on the
    > >[email protected]#$%^ sidewalk. That's for pedestrians.
    >
    > Don't you people have your wheelchairs on the sidewalk? How about electric wheelchairs? How about
    > the reaaaaaally big electric wheelchairs that have at least as much horsepower as an anemic moped
    > and far better torque?

There's a person I see frequently around here who runs his electric wheelchair in the road.

--
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

15. Overclocker

Overclocker Guest

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Motorcycles (and mopeds) are motorcycles, and already have their regulations entrenched. Same with
    > bicycles. But Segways are a johnny-come-lately thing that have so many people stymied as to how to
    > regard them, thanx to their oddball configuration & design.

In California we have already had to deal with motorized scooters (a.k.a. Go-Peds). Segways would be
    included under the same definition and be classified as a motorized scooter:

CVC 407.5. (a) A "motorized scooter" is any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, is designed
    to be stood or sat upon by the operator, and is powered by an electric motor that is capable of
    propelling the device with or without human propulsion.

There's a whole section of the CA vehicle code for motorized scooters that you can find here
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd11c1a5.htm. I'm sure other states will implement
    similar laws.

16. Jerz Fox

Jerz Fox Guest

>I submit that Segways do that, too. And in that light, when someone buys a Segway, they're buying a
    >spare car.
    >

I don't know, I don't think I'll see a Segway tooling down the Garden State Parkway any time soon.
    They do look kinda like fun, even though they resemble the old-fashioned lawn mower my dad used to
    use in our yard when I was a kid.

Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

17. Bernie

Bernie Guest

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:45:01 -0700, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Okay... But if they are transportation, and the operator is not disabled... then whether they be
    > >cars, bikes, electric transports for the chronically lazy, or whatever, they ain't allowed on the
    > >[email protected]#$%^ sidewalk. That's for pedestrians.
    >
    > Don't you people have your wheelchairs on the sidewalk? How about electric wheelchairs? How about
    > the reaaaaaally big electric wheelchairs that have at least as much horsepower as an anemic moped
    > and far better torque?

" if they are transportation, and the operator is not disabled..." did you notice that part
    of my post?

>
    >
    > Besides, the people at Segway are trying to get the law changed so that they *are* allowed on,
    > they're not trying to get people to go on the sidewalk when it's not allowed.
    >

I know they are trying to change laws. A desperate last gasp effort I hope! Motorized 'pedestrians'.
    This all starts to remind me of the lazy slugs in "Riders of the Purple Wage" by Philip Jose Farmer.
    Best regards, Bernie

18. Chalo

Chalo Guest

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> Besides being a physical object, a car is something that inspires a "car" state-of-mind in it's
    > owner/operator.
    >
    > I submit that Segways do that, too.

If they inspired the same state of mind as a car, everybody would feel they "needed" one and would
    go into debt to own one. Then they'd zoom around like inconsiderate jackasses, becoming noisily
    irate when anybody else appeared to be impeding their progress, and crushing people to death
    regularly and usually with impunity.

Bikes and Segways have some things in common:

They maintain, and benefit from, a sedate traffic pace in most circumstances

They are more subject to surface conditions than cars or pedestrians

They expose their operators to the sounds and smells of the urban milieu

They subject their operators to weather conditions

They function best within a smaller radius of operation than a car

They take less than most sidewalks' widths when underway

And they are much faster and more convenient transport than walking.

I don't really understand the animus that many cyclists hold regarding Segways, when it's plain that
    a Segway-friendly city would also by nature be a bike-friendly city. Also it's plain, to me anyway,
    that a person would replace car trips with Segway trips for much the same reason that a cyclist
    would choose to go by bike instead of car.

Chalo Colina

19. On 29 Jun 2003 23:15:33 -0700, [email protected] (Chalo) wrote:

>I don't really understand the animus that many cyclists hold regarding Segways, when it's plain
    >that a Segway-friendly city would also by nature be a bike-friendly city. Also it's plain, to me
    >anyway, that a person would replace car trips with Segway trips for much the same reason that a
    >cyclist would choose to go by bike instead of car.

That's probably exactly it. People are worrying that the Segway will 'hurt the bike movement', or
    something idiotic like that.

Jasper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.