The Flying Scot

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve McGinty, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Found this nostalgia trip for anyone who ever owned a Scot.

    http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/index.html

    "For over sixty years, David Rattray & Co. of Glasgow produced what was to many cyclists in Scotland
    and beyond, the last word in bicycles. Using my own machines and the photo's and memories of past
    and present owners, I hope to show just what made these bikes so special."

    I recognise at least two of the bikes featured (Jock Ward and Vic Polanski's grass track machines) -
    Makes me wish I'd kept details of my old Scots.

    Wee boys in Glasgow used to shout "Hi Mister - sure that's the best bike in the world!"

    Cheers! Stephen

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.

  3. On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:13:35 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.

    truly hideous

    http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

    Anyone south of the border ever owned a Scot?

    Cheers! Stephen

  4. The message <[email protected]> from Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]_DOT_.com> contains these words:

    > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:13:35 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.
    > >
    > truly hideous

    > http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

    > Anyone south of the border ever owned a Scot?

    Yes but
    1) I bought it in Glasgow (Dales Cycles, Dobbies Loan)

    2) It was made in England after the marque was taken over by ??M. Steel

  5. Still have my 'Flying Scot' purchased in 1960 complete with all Campac , tubs, etc. Use it
    occasionally but more into 'offroad' tracks now, too much of an 'oldie'

    Alex Walker "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Found this nostalgia trip for anyone who ever owned a Scot.
    >
    > http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/index.html
    >
    > "For over sixty years, David Rattray & Co. of Glasgow produced what was to many cyclists in
    > Scotland and beyond, the last word in bicycles. Using my own machines and the photo's and memories
    > of past and present owners, I hope to show just what made these bikes so special."
    >
    > I recognise at least two of the bikes featured (Jock Ward and Vic Polanski's grass track machines)
    > - Makes me wish I'd kept details of my old Scots.
    >
    > Wee boys in Glasgow used to shout "Hi Mister - sure that's the best bike in the world!"
    >

    > Cheers! Stephen

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:

    > http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/index.html

    My wife's former boss owned a Flying Scot. Here he is talking about it:
    <http://www.flyingscotsman.co.uk/intrview.htm>

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Roger Thorpe

    Roger Thorpe Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:13:35 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.
    >>

    > truly hideous
    >
    > http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/
    >
    > Anyone south of the border ever owned a Scot?
    >
    > Cheers! Stephen

    One of the most deeply weird and frightening customers at Mosquito in london used to ride one
    (probably still does). The bike had inverted drop handlebars, two tyres on each wheel, handlebar
    tape wrapped around the pedals ( chater lea, I think) and many more insults to this 'noble breed'.
    Oh yes, and panniers crammed full of what we hoped were cabbages.

    --
    Roger Thorpe

    My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!