The Flying Scot

Steve McGinty

Guest
Found this nostalgia trip for anyone who ever owned a Scot.

http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/index.html

"For over sixty years, David Rattray & Co. of Glasgow produced what was to many cyclists in Scotland
and beyond, the last word in bicycles. Using my own machines and the photo's and memories of past
and present owners, I hope to show just what made these bikes so special."

I recognise at least two of the bikes featured (Jock Ward and Vic Polanski's grass track machines) -
Makes me wish I'd kept details of my old Scots.

Wee boys in Glasgow used to shout "Hi Mister - sure that's the best bike in the world!"

Cheers! Stephen

The message <[email protected]> from Steve McGinty
<stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> contains these words:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:13:35 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.
> >
> truly hideous

> http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

> Anyone south of the border ever owned a Scot?

Yes but
1) I bought it in Glasgow (Dales Cycles, Dobbies Loan)

2) It was made in England after the marque was taken over by ??M. Steel

Still have my 'Flying Scot' purchased in 1960 complete with all Campac , tubs, etc. Use it
occasionally but more into 'offroad' tracks now, too much of an 'oldie'

news:eek:[email protected]...

Steve McGinty wrote:

> http://www.flying-scot.co.uk/index.html

My wife's former boss owned a Flying Scot. Here he is talking about it:
<http://www.flyingscotsman.co.uk/intrview.htm>

--
Guy
===

Steve McGinty wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:13:35 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Don't remember but I recall the Flying Gate.
>>

> truly hideous
>
> http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/
>
> Anyone south of the border ever owned a Scot?
>
> Cheers! Stephen

One of the most deeply weird and frightening customers at Mosquito in london used to ride one
(probably still does). The bike had inverted drop handlebars, two tyres on each wheel, handlebar
tape wrapped around the pedals ( chater lea, I think) and many more insults to this 'noble breed'.
Oh yes, and panniers crammed full of what we hoped were cabbages.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!