The following tips are much needed...please help.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by andrew_carter, May 21, 2004.

  1. Sorry to make a new thread about this but I really want to get lots of
    content up at tutorials.unicyclist.com nice and early and I thought more
    people would read this this way.

    I'm going to continue making lots of video tutorials for the site, but
    it'll take many months to get through everything I want to cover on my
    own. I'd really like people to contribute tips or tutorials on the
    following skills/topics. They don't have to be anything fancy, just
    text is fine (although photos and videos are more than more than welcome
    :)). Here's what I'd love to get tips on, I'm not saying you're
    restricted to these ones though...

    FREESTYLE SKILLS
    - Riding seat in front
    - Riding seat out back
    - One foot riding
    - One foot idling
    - Backwards riding
    - Wheel walking
    - One foot wheel walking
    - Gliding
    - Coasting
    - Spins
    - Piroutettes
    - Seat drags front and back
    - Standup wheel walking
    - Side on side
    - Unispins
    - Kickup mount
    - Other fancy mounts
    - Anything else I've missed

    STREET SKILLS
    We'll add a section for street stuff I think if we get some
    contributions...
    - Grinding
    - Shifties
    - Foot plants?
    - No footers (I only know of one person doing these)

    TRIALS SKILLS
    - Effective use of the pre-hop
    - Crank grabs
    - Pedal grabs
    - High hopping seat out
    - High hopping seat in
    - Gapping seat out
    - Gapping seat in
    - Maybe something on motivating yourself to do something scary?
    - High rolling hops

    MUNI SKILLS
    - Picking a good line
    - Rolling out of drops
    - Hopping with any pedal orientation
    - Cross country muni training, motivation, etc.
    - Riding in snow?
    - Northshore riding
    - Effective braking

    OBSTACLE BUILDING
    - Anything at all

    MISCELLANEOUS
    - Anything miscellaneous

    MAINTENANCE
    - General unicycle maintenance
    - Splined hub maintenance
    - Wheel truing
    - Bearing holder tightness
    - Application of anti-seize/locktite (there you go John :))
    - Cleaning out a water-logged unicycle
    - Seat upgrades, fixes, etc.
    - What tools to pack when out riding?
    - Washing your unicycle
    - Pedal servicing

    That's all I can think of for the most important things. As you can
    imagine the site's got a lot of potential but the more content it has
    from a range of sources, the better it will be.

    I know I'm asking a lot, but it has the chance to be really helpful to a
    lot of unicyclists and I really want to see that happen.

    If you've got anything to contribute the easiest way is probably just to
    post it in this thread...or you can email it to me at andrew_carter (at)
    mail (dot) com .

    Thanks a lot,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  2. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

  3. Yeh, that'd be ideal Robbie. But if you're willing to give some tips,
    they'd be more than welcome. Since you haven't been unicycling for as
    long as some others (although it has been a while now) the learning
    process for some of the skills will be fresher in your mind. Use that
    to your advantage if, you'd like to help.

    Thanks.

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    an drew_carter wrote:
    > If you've got anything to contribute the easiest way is probably just to
    > post it in this thread...

    Questions about how the law relates to unicyclists in different
    countries are quite common. I wonder if it might be worth "Law" having
    its own section, rather than sticking it in miscellaneous.

    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

  5. mike.hinson

    mike.hinson Guest

    Could we use something like this to bring it all together?

    http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling

    I am no expert in this area but it looks like a good way to share the
    development of documentation about unicycling.

    /\/\

    --
    mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

    "I have to overcome a 'stress hill' when tightening the nuts, but once
    installed they sit in a 'stress valley'. "

    --Klaas Bil
    mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

  6. Danny,
    I'll talk to Peter about that, but I'm not sure it's neccessary. Law
    related information seems to me to fit well in miscellaneous given that
    the site is mainly about tips and tutorials. I have absolutely no doubt
    that law info is a really helpful addition to the site though. I'll
    talk to Peter about it.

    Mike,
    This site is being created for an assignment that Peter is doing for
    school. I don't see any major difference between that layout and
    Peter's...am I missing something? Peter's site will also be able to be
    formatted exactly how we want it to be and we'll probably have headings
    in there and that sort of thing to group together video tutorials, photo
    analyses, and text, and that sort of thing.

    Just a general question, do you think it's okay to quote what people
    have posted in r.s.u, etc (and give them full credit) without asking
    permission first? Because it will require a lot of work otherwise.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  7. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *Mike,
    > This site is being created for an assignment that Peter is doing for
    > school. I don't see any major difference between that layout and
    > Peter's...am I missing something? Peter's site will also be able to
    > be formatted exactly how we want it to be and we'll probably have
    > headings in there and that sort of thing to group together video
    > tutorials, photo analyses, and text, and that sort of thing.
    > *

    The big difference is that a wiki, like what mike is pointing at, can be
    edited by anyone, rather than needing to be maintained all the time.
    Maintaining sites is great when you're enthusiastic and starting off on
    a site, but not so when you've had it for a couple of years and need to
    update something.

    They don't need to be bare and nasty, you can use stylesheets to make
    your wiki look nice, like this -
    http://www.unu.nottingham.ac.uk/~pineapple/
    and they support things like headings and formatting.

    We use one at work to track hard to document information, useful tips
    etc. and it's really useful for that, because it's so quick to update.

    To put in videos or images, once they're in the gallery you can put them
    into wiki pages. The combination of a gallery and a well setup wiki is
    pretty similar in power as a full html website and much much easier to
    add updates to.

    The difficult thing about a wiki is that it requires some cgi scripts,
    so on unicyclist.com would require you to get gilby to install them.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  8. Thanks Joe, I didn't notice that. They do seem very useful, but like I
    said, the design of an original website is part of Peter's assignment.
    I know I wouldn't mind updating the site for many years if Peter can
    tell me how to do it (once it's all finished).

    John Glazer sent me some great tips on a few different areas. I'm sure
    they didn't take him very long to do and they will most likely really
    help somebody trying to learn those skills. Is nobody else willing to
    spend two minutes to write tips on something? There are lots to choose
    from. :)

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  9. Tassilo

    Tassilo Guest

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    andrew_carter wondered:
    > Just a general question, do you think it's okay to quote what people
    > have posted in r.s.u, etc (and give them full credit) without asking
    > permission first? Because it will require a lot of work otherwise.

    If someone doesn't set their headers to prevent their posts being cached
    by Google then I think it's fair to assume that their posts are intended
    to provide a permanent source of information to others. So yes, I think
    it's OK to quote what people have posted, with credit.

    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

  11. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    andrew_carter wrote:
    > *Thanks Joe, I didn't notice that. They do seem very useful, but like
    > I said, the design of an original website is part of Peter's
    > assignment. I know I wouldn't mind updating the site for many years
    > if Peter can tell me how to do it (once it's all finished).
    > *

    A wiki is an original website, just one that happens to be editable once
    it is done. It would be more of a technical challenge to do though,
    because he'd have to learn a bit about server side stuff and learn what
    a wiki is and how to integrate one into a website effectively.

    unicycling.org is a perfect example of a site that would be better off
    as a wiki. It's something like ten years old, it's got loads of data on
    there, but pretty much any part of it that can be is a bit out of date,
    for example the airseat instructions are only for miyata seats, there
    are no videos of anything, the equipment suggestions are way out of
    date, there's practically nothing relating to muni/trials etc. I've got
    some mounting videos in my gallery, if it was a wiki, I could just click
    on edit this page on the mounting page and then add a link to them. If
    anyone finds a description that isn't clear, they can quickly fix it.

    The other cool thing about wikis is that things get automatically linked
    around, for example if you've got a page called "Standard Mount" and you
    put standard mount into your list of freestyle skills, it automatically
    links it to that page.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  12. mike.hinson

    mike.hinson Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > *
    >
    > A wiki is an original website, just one that happens to be editable
    > once it is done. It would be more of a technical challenge to do
    > though, because he'd have to learn a bit about server side stuff and
    > learn what a wiki is and how to integrate one into a website
    > effectively.
    >
    > unicycling.org is a perfect example of a site that would be better off
    > as a wiki. It's something like ten years old, it's got loads of data
    > on there, but pretty much any part of it that can be is a bit out of
    > date, for example the airseat instructions are only for miyata seats,
    > there are no videos of anything, the equipment suggestions are way out
    > of date, there's practically nothing relating to muni/trials etc. I've
    > got some mounting videos in my gallery, if it was a wiki, I could just
    > click on edit this page on the mounting page and then add a link to
    > them. If anyone finds a description that isn't clear, they can quickly
    > fix it.
    >
    > The other cool thing about wikis is that things get automatically
    > linked around, for example if you've got a page called "Standard
    > Mount" and you put standard mount into your list of freestyle skills,
    > it automatically links it to that page.
    >
    > Joe *

    I think there is something very compelling about being able to instantly
    correct any errors you find on a web site.. However I do understand
    that in Andrew's case he is trying to assist Peter with a school poject
    of creating a web site so this thread is more concentrated on helping
    provide new content for that project (fair enough). I do hope however
    that a wiki Unicycling book (or what ever it should be called) could
    grow out of this project.

    I also think that the Wiki structure might lend its self to gathering
    some of the information for Andrew & Peter to use.

    Anyone fance giving it a go? Then we can all see what has been
    contributed & be encouraged to help... Please give it a try anyway
    here:
    http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling

    Thanks,
    /\/\

    --
    mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

    "I have to overcome a 'stress hill' when tightening the nuts, but once
    installed they sit in a 'stress valley'. "

    --Klaas Bil
    mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

  13. > I also think that the Wiki structure might lend its self to gathering
    > some of the information for Andrew & Peter to use.

    Sounds like a great idea to me.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  14. Wow, whoever has written those tips that are up at
    http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling , thanks a lot.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  15. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

    YES - everybody add lots of tips to wiki books so me and andrew can link
    to it on our site, the more tips on there the better our site will
    get!
    TIPS TIPS TIPS

    --
    munimanpete - come on and do the muni

    "Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
    munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

  16. tugboat

    tugboat Guest

    hey andrew.
    i'd be willing to do some of the tutorials for street stuff. am i the
    one you were referring to about no footers? cause im not really doing
    those down sets yet, just flat ground. i've hit some one footers though
    down 5 and 6 sets. and im pretty good at the footplants and grinding...
    and footplant to grinds (in jeff groves video spaced out there will be 2
    i think). so if you want me to do a few, i probably could. just email me
    at kevin_mcmullin(at)hotmail(dot)com.

    see ya, Kevin

    --
    tugboat - Street Unier named Kevin

    "You won't get hurt if you land it!"
    tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

  17. > would you mind if i transalate some of your contents to my web??

    Not at all. It's all for the benefit of the unicycling community. Go
    ahead. A lot of the written tips on our site will be taken from the
    unicyclist.com forums anyway. I've just borrowed about 6000 words of
    tips from unicyclist.com and given the writers credit underneath each
    one. I hope nobody has any strong objection to this...it would take far
    too long to ask each individual person permission and they have written
    it on a public forum anyway.

    So yes, please use any of the content on our site that you want.

    I just had a look through your site - it's fantastic! I'm surprised at
    how similar Spanish is to French. I could make sence of a lot of what
    was written. :)

    I love the background in the 'Monociclistas' section. Is there anywhere
    we can see the original of this picture? It's really nice.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  18. > would you mind if i transalate some of your contents to my web??