The French Drought Continues

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bobke

bobke New Member

Any ideas why?
    there was a cat fight eye scratch word fest yesterday between Sany Casar and Chavanel for not working together or attacking each other or something like that. They are desperate and not succeeding. A Frenchman hasnt won Paris Nice since Jalabert, I mean have they even won any STAGES recently?
    Just like the TdF!
    Given the horrible race reports from ALL the riders this week, Paris Nice would be history if it werent linked to the TdF.
    The riders need to unionize and get rid of these crappy races with bad roads, ridiculous weather, and poor marshalling of the roads.

Back to the drought...
    here is one take from cyclingnews:

The Cofidis question

Seeing the final kilometres of today's stage unfold on the big screen by the seaside boulevard in sunny Cannes, one couldn't help wondering why the two Cofidis riders in the chase group, Sylvain Chavanel and David Moncoutié didn't stay together to try and reel front rider Kashechkin in. Maybe a stage win would have been possible if the two had joined forces, possibly with their fellow breakaway mates, instead of Chavanel powering away on his own and Moncoutié drifting pointlessly in the back, of course without participating in the chase.

When confronted with this question, Cofidis team manager Eric Boyer answered, "No, because Kashechkin was simply unbeatable today, absolutely unbeatable. On the flat, he increased his advantage not only on Chavanel, but also on the chase group including Moncoutié, Casar, Voeckler etc. - so he was unbeatable today. I actually prefer it that a rival benefits from a situation that we've created, than that we benefit from a situation that others have created, because that's what we've been doing for too many years now. So I prefer to lose with honour than to win by profiting from a favourable situation."

WHAT?!?!?!?

another take:

Tags:

2. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

Sandy Casar (Française des Jeux), troisième : « Dans cette échappée, il n'y a jamais eu d'entente au point que je me demande pourquoi certains coureurs avaient attaqué puisqu'ils n'ont jamais travaillé ensuite. Cofidis avait quatre coureurs mais refusait de rouler. Sur la fin, Sylvain Chavanel m'a même reproché de rouler pour être le premier Français mais ici, je le suis déjà. Lui, n'avait que ça en tête et je dois le dire Sylvain Chavanel est un petit coureur ! »

:D :D :D

ah, belgians always bitch about each other.

3. bobke

bobke New Member

Best insult I've heard in a long time..."petit coureur".
    Too funny!!!!!!!!!

4. bobke

bobke New Member

George will win Paris Roubaix...
    any bets on the highest placed French rider?
    I'll say 25th.
    Any takers???

5. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

What is a French???

6. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

shame you got it horribly wrong. Guesdon's up there. :)

7. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

aaand Guesdon was tenth. If you followed the live ticker, you'd see an interesting little bit that Guesdon said about why French cycling is underperforming. Take a look.

8. bobke

bobke New Member

I saw it on TV so I dont know what ticker you mean.
    If Boonen is also DQ'd for going through the barrier down, Guesdon could podium!!!
    Boonen going through with the barrier down:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/index.php?id=Par704042

9. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

It has been nine years since France last had a Paris-Roubaix winner. Frédéric Guesdon (now 34) was the unexpected winner of Paris-Roubaix nine years ago and since there haven't been any real French favourites riding for the victory in the Hell of the North.

"Only a French Tom Boonen can save us", Guesdon told HNB. "It's a vicious circle. We don't have any toppers any more, the interest of the media is diminishing, the youth is looking for other challenges. Only the Tour keeps everybody awake.

"Anthony Geslin (bronze medal at the World's in Madrid) is doing a good job. And we had the third placing of the young Mondory in Waregem [Dwars door Vlaanderen]. It's a paradox with four ProTour teams and with the solid continental team Agritubel. Never before have we had more French riders starting races. The problem is they turn up their noses at this sort of race.

"Only in my team (FdJ.com) we have too many candidates. The is because Marc Madiot (who won P-R twice himself) promotes the right cycling culture. The others don't. After the Three days de Panne, my young training partner and ex-Junior World Champion Arnaud Gérard went laughing back to Bretagne. That is a rare thing."

The problem is the mentality according to Guesdon. "The Tour de France is blinding, but if you don't know what you can achieve there after two starts, turn the page and concentrate on something else. For a French rider a Tour stage win, or a day in the yellow means as much as hitting the jackpot; you can live on it your whole career. Look at Voeckler. He had two good months two years ago: that's it, it's in the pocket."

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Mengin and Geslin werre highly placed as well at P-R.

11. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

Sylvain Chavanel is definitely capable of winning a lot of races. There aren't any standouts on the Cofidis squad to be labeled as a leader. The team pretty much has the philosophy of "every-man-for-himself" and that will never help Chavanel to win.

12. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

Mengin and Guesdon have always performed well at the Northern Classics. Hopefully Geslin will fit into their mould as he develops, rather than just being another tour de france-centric rider like Chavanel and co.

13. El Loto

El Loto New Member

Will you let it drop. Just because George and Disco didn't win. Boonen didn't win either so it hardly matters. I also find it unlikely that any Disco rider will win the Pro Tour.

14. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

French did pretty well in the P-R, two riders in the top 10 ain't bad going.

British riders did OK, all three of them were in the main chase group that was put behind on the Arenberg Pave. All three in the top 50. You never know, they might actually get a single pro tour point soon :p unlike the 0 points they got last year. I live in hope.

15. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I think the French have a problem, they didn't have a tour winner since Hinault and not much other big wins either...

16. bobke

bobke New Member

No, I will not let it drop.
    I am simply addressing the obvious misapplication of the rules.
    Johan Bruyneel has been in a few races and knows the rules.
    Here's what he said today:

"The rules are there and in the heat of the moment you have to act by judgement. But Paris-Roubaix doesn’t deserve a finish like that. So we keep fighting. We'll file a complaint with the UCI because the rules have to be the same for everyone. The guys in 2nd-4th place went through and no one stopped them. Then Boonen, Flecha, and Ballan had to stop as the train came through, but then they went through as well afterwards with the gates down and the red light flashing - there could have been another train coming right behind, so 5th-7th also broke the rules. What was the judge going to do? Disqualify them too? No one did it on purpose and the incident had no impact on the winner of the race, so I say we respect the finish as it was. I know there's not a lot of hope to get this, but I have to do it. But you know regardless of that incident there is only one happy guy at the end of this race - the winner. Everyone else has bad feelings."

17. bobke

bobke New Member

Chavanel is paid, according to journalist Sam Abt who writes a lot of places like the NYTimes and others and follows the sport closely, 900,000US dollars.
    That is crazy.
    He has never won anything at all and he is no longer a kid.
    That is obscene money for a no results racer.

Typical French attitude, we have to hire him and pay him because he's the best France has. As opposed to getting riders who actually win something.
    Besides not being good enough to get on QS or DC or T Mobile he would be hired as a domestique and paid one tenth the money.

I recall fondly when he screwed Chris Horner last year in the TdF and wanted Horner to tow him to the line and Chavanel refused to work. The bunch caught them. I know there will be payback for the real classless move. What an attitude.

18. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

It really took you that long to realise the arrogant bastard that Chavanel is? Where've you been for 4-5 years? :eek:

19. davidbod

davidbod New Member

'arrogant bastard', isn't that just a synonym for being french?

20. micron

micron New Member

What a fascinating insight into the insular and xenophobic American mindset this thread is :(