The French Inquisition

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by pantani_lives, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Frihed89

Frihed89 New Member

What legal action? Tort law as known in the US, CA and UK, does not really exist in many countries on the continent, and where there are equity or other civil actions, the compensation is often paid by the state and is small.

If the other danish posters, here, are right, then it is indeed a black day. Perhaps I am naiv, but it is hard for me to believe that anyone would do this to Mikæl, no matter how indepently or against the pereceived self interest of Rabobank he may have acted in stealing the lead from the dutch team captain.

2. poulidor

poulidor New Member

Yes, all riders who have missed a test were not allowed following the agreement between clean teams.

3. JensCph

JensCph New Member

Ehm, the only agreement I've seen is to exclude riders who fail or miss an in-competion test. Random tests are a completely different thing to miss. Thats the whole point of the 18-months rolling window of 3 missed tests. Also:

Rasmussen last week:
    "I know that a lot of riders in the peloton receive warnings for not informing or not giving updated information to the UCI. I'm just one out of many, and I just happen to ride with the yellow jersey right now"

and I remember this being backed up by someone else, I just cant find an online reference.

4. poulidor

poulidor New Member

It was a request from ASO to the team when they chose the team : no suspect riders in team!!!!!!!!!!

5. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

I dont know if you noticed but it has been ages since there has been a serious Dutch contender. Boogerd is pretty much the best contender we had in the last ten years and even though I love hist style and climbing abilities he is not a team captain. Menchov started the tour as the team captain for Rabobank and he is Russian.

Inspite of what you may think the complete nation over here was thrilled to see Rasmussen in yellow. Rabobank playing such a front role, Boogerd and Dekker heroically leading the peleton and Rasmussen climbing like a goat. It made the Dutch proud as much as the Danish.

Noone at Rabobank likes this situation I'm sure about that. I do think however that they should have not pulled him out of the tour looking back now. If you finish and he rides it out you can always hand back the jersey if he is convicted of anything. But now the damage has been done wether he proves innocent or not.

At first I also agreed with the Rabobank decission as I thought he had admitted to having been in Italy. it turns out he has denied it meaning that he has been pulled out of the tour because of rumours and rumours alone. I am pretty sure the ASO put a lot of pressure on the team though.

6. donrhummy

donrhummy New Member

Where'd you find this? Can you provide a link? I couldn't find this info anywhere.

7. IH8LANCE

IH8LANCE New Member

And you won't, because it's not true. All the published reports have Cassani saying he personally saw Rasmussen in Italy on two successive days in June.

It's not like Cassani was trying to blow the whistle on Rasmussen. He made the statement innocently about Rasmussen some time ago, ironically in an attempt to compliment him on his training regimen. A Danish reporter heard the comment and, remembering that Ras was supposed to have been in Mexico at the time, put 2 and 2 together.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07/jul26news2

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/26/sports/TOUR.1-103270.php

This is how rumors get started, however. Some overzealous fan reads something he doesn't want to believe, then garbles the information and posts it on the internet, causing further confusion.

Same with the "Puerto Contador" nonsense. Everyone, and I mean everyone, who is involved with the sport has acknowledged that Contador's presence on the Puerto list was a knee-jerk mistake by the UCI -- Clerc reiterated this as recently as yesterday -- but people with anti-Disco agendas want to skim right over those pesky details. All they know is that at one point last year, they saw the names "Puerto" and "Contador" in the same sentence, so he is forever linked to a doping scandal.

8. saluki

saluki New Member

So, we have:

1. Missed tests. Suspicious, but not enough were missed to get him kicked out.

2. Accusations of using his friends as dope mules. This should hang him if it is true, but the accusations need further investigation at this time.

3. Accusations of being seen in Italy when he was suppose to be in Mexico. This doesn't prove doping, but it is clearly a serious rule violation sufficient to get him pulled by his team. Now there seems to be some debate about the validity of this issue. I think we can only wait and see how it shakes out. There are going to be some records somewhere to resolve it. The witness will have to be requestioned to verify the story. If it is true, then the question is "why would he lie about being in Mexico when he was in Italy."

Generally speaking, I have some sympathy for the "trail by media" argument. The booing that Ras got on his rides seems unfair. It may turn out later that it was fair and that he did the things that he is accused of. But until the investigation plays out, the premature hysteria against him was all created by the media.

9. poulidor

poulidor New Member

Enough to send him home if he missed a test before a GT. Look at UCI rules!

10. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

reading that makes my skin crawl. please dont quote livewrong. he has absolutely no credibilty :mad:

11. JensCph

JensCph New Member

Again..Not being home when some a cycling body knocks unannounced on your door is not the same as 'missing a test'. I'd love to see a link to the the UCI rules that state it so. Because if that was true, then

1) What is the point of the "3-warnings in 18 months system"?

2) Why didnt the UCI suspend Rasmussen in June? After all, they were the ones conducting one of the 'missed' test on him.

12. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

:rolleyes: first of all, suspicion is enough to ruin one's career if the powers that be want to seize on that suspicion. some riders are targeted, some are given a pass. look at puerto contadors history last year. compare that to vinos history last year. both are under a cloud of suspicion, but only one is hounded with extra out of competition drug tests; and one is given a test during the itt that was thought not be in use, although that bit of info is up for debate. the aso didnt want vino at the tour to begin with . the uci admitted to targeting him b/c he was alledgedly one of the "men in black" regardless of vinos guilt of innocence do you think it is fair to go after one rider when another could be doping just as much? and look who has groomed contador since 19. his name was on that list. there was a reason it was on that list. if he were above reproach he would not have been on that list. please...