The fuckups are the Paris-Roubaix organizers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringioni, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Fellow Dumbasses -

    How the hell can they allow even a possibility of that happening?
    They're lucky the train didn't get there 30 seconds earlier and stop
    Cancellara.

    Paris-Roubaix is the biggest, baddest one day race in the world and
    they can't get the government to hold up the trains until the race
    passes? There's no excuse - the government there has accomodated the
    race in many other ways - declaring certain sectors of the cobbles to
    be "historical" so that they don't pave them over with asphalt and
    recobbling certain sectors like the Arenberg Forest. Yet the race
    organization does nothing about the trains.

    What a failure by the race organization/promotor!

    Unbelievable. No wonder the French economy sucks.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

    Tags:

  2. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de
    news:[email protected],
    Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > Fellow Dumbasses -
    >

    > How the hell can they allow even a possibility of that happening?
    > They're lucky the train didn't get there 30 seconds earlier and stop
    > Cancellara.
    >
    > Paris-Roubaix is the biggest, baddest one day race in the world and
    > they can't get the government to hold up the trains until the race
    > passes? There's no excuse - the government there has accomodated the
    > race in many other ways - declaring certain sectors of the cobbles to
    > be "historical" so that they don't pave them over with asphalt and
    > recobbling certain sectors like the Arenberg Forest. Yet the race
    > organization does nothing about the trains.
    >
    > What a failure by the race organization/promotor!
    >
    > Unbelievable. No wonder the French economy sucks.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    You're welcome. The course was planned with timing at crossing points for
    predicted speeds. The race went much faster. And it's not your race to
    worry about, is it ? At least the students didn't get anywhere on time.
    Not that they would be expected to.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

  3. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    It reminded me of when our 4th grade pickup "SUPERBOWL OF NERF
    FOOTBALL" had to be interrupted for the UPS van to go through.

    As a great man said when he was still a comic genius:

    "Cosby, you go down to 3rd Street, catch the J Bus and have them open
    the doors at 19th Street. I'll fake it to you."

  4. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > Fellow Dumbasses -
    >

    > How the hell can they allow even a possibility of that happening?
    > They're lucky the train didn't get there 30 seconds earlier and stop
    > Cancellara.

    Actually, it would have been better if Cancellara HAD been caught by
    the train. It would've removed all incentive for the chasers to go
    around the barriers.

    Think about it, the rules state that if the racers are stopped
    artificially, such as by train, road blockage, whatever, that the
    officials keep track of the time gaps as the various groups arrive, and
    once the road clears the groups are re-started with the appropriate
    time gaps protected. BUT, the racers (or in this case, racer) who
    passes before the blockage is NOT stopped and is allowed to proceed
    along on his merry way.

    Any time gap the chasers had on subsequent groups would've been
    protected, but the leader's advantage continues to grow unabated. Had
    Cancellara been stopped as well, then everyone affected by the train
    would've maintained their respective advantages with no unfair
    advantage gained by virtue of getting to the crossing before the
    barriers came down.

    Fred.

  5. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > Fellow Dumbasses -

    (snip)
    > Unbelievable. No wonder the French economy sucks.

    Not your usual style. Just noticing.

    Nobody got hurt (#1). (The children, Kurgan, the children!)

    (ahem) It's only entertainment (the race), if a faithful mirror of the
    social milieu.

    The train booming through = economic reality <g>. --D-y

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > like when Rosie Ruiz took
    > the subway in the New York City marathon...

    Boston Marathon.

    Dumbass.

    Mark

  7. Mark wrote:

    >>like when Rosie Ruiz took
    >>the subway in the New York City marathon...

    > Boston Marathon.
    >
    > Dumbass.
    >
    > Mark

    She took the subway in the New York Marathon, cocksucker:

    http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/day/04_20_2001.html

    Magilla

  8. On 10 Apr 2006 08:30:29 -0700, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What a failure by the race organization/promotor!
    >
    >Unbelievable. No wonder the French economy sucks.

    If you think they failed, what about the six road guards that lay down
    on the tracks? They sure didn't work out either. Train didn't even
    slow down - thought they were student protesters.

    See if they get invited back.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. On 10 Apr 2006 10:14:00 -0700, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(ahem) It's only entertainment (the race), if a faithful mirror of the
    >social milieu.

    Maybe compared to a NFL football team or the guys that share trainers
    with Barry Bonds.

    At five feet, a train is more entertainind BTW.

    Especially if you're drunk.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  10. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > Fellow Dumbasses -
    > Paris-Roubaix is the biggest, baddest one day race in the world and
    > they can't get the government to hold up the trains until the race
    > passes?
    > K. Gringioni.

    You should have used a little smiley face icon. Otherwise people might
    think you are serious.

  11. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > > Fellow Dumbasses -
    > >

    > > How the hell can they allow even a possibility of that happening?
    > > They're lucky the train didn't get there 30 seconds earlier and stop
    > > Cancellara.
    > >

    > Actually, it would have been better if Cancellara HAD been caught by
    > the train. It would've removed all incentive for the chasers to go
    > around the barriers.
    >
    > Think about it, the rules state that if the racers are stopped
    > artificially, such as by train, road blockage, whatever, that the
    > officials keep track of the time gaps as the various groups arrive, and
    > once the road clears the groups are re-started with the appropriate
    > time gaps protected. BUT, the racers (or in this case, racer) who
    > passes before the blockage is NOT stopped and is allowed to proceed
    > along on his merry way.
    >
    > Any time gap the chasers had on subsequent groups would've been
    > protected, but the leader's advantage continues to grow unabated. Had
    > Cancellara been stopped as well, then everyone affected by the train
    > would've maintained their respective advantages with no unfair
    > advantage gained by virtue of getting to the crossing before the
    > barriers came down.
    >
    > Fred.

    Been caught in a similar situation with auto traffic where the break
    got through, then the traffic blocked the lead car for the fieldand
    basically came to a stop. There's no worse feeling than having the
    field closing down the break with just enough to catch them before the
    finish, and have them blocked. Luckily I was on the motor and able to
    take them around and let them race, but it was definitely panic time
    for a little bit there.
    Having everyone stopped would've been a lot easier, then we could've
    sorted it out without scrambling, as you said.
    Bill C

  12. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Sandy wrote:
    > You're welcome. The course was planned with timing at crossing points for
    > predicted speeds. The race went much faster. And it's not your race to
    > worry about, is it ? At least the students didn't get anywhere on time.
    > Not that they would be expected to.

    I was under the impression it was the train that was ahead of schedule.

  13. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Donald Munro a écrit :
    > Sandy wrote:
    >> You're welcome. The course was planned with timing at crossing points for
    >> predicted speeds. The race went much faster. And it's not your race to
    >> worry about, is it ? At least the students didn't get anywhere on time.
    >> Not that they would be expected to.

    > I was under the impression it was the train that was ahead of schedule.

    The race terminated, itself, a half-hour before anticipated.
    --
    Bonne route -

    Sandy

  14. Sandy wrote:
    > Donald Munro a écrit :
    > > Sandy wrote:
    > >> You're welcome. The course was planned with timing at crossing pointsfor
    > >> predicted speeds. The race went much faster. And it's not your race to
    > >> worry about, is it ? At least the students didn't get anywhere on time.
    > >> Not that they would be expected to.

    > > I was under the impression it was the train that was ahead of schedule.
    > >

    > The race terminated, itself, a half-hour before anticipated.

    Dumbass -

    That is a bad, bad excuse. Races go faster than normal. Excessive
    attacking, tailwinds, good conditions, etc.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  15. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni a écrit :
    > Sandy wrote:
    >> Donald Munro a écrit :
    >>> I was under the impression it was the train that was ahead of schedule.
    >>>

    >> The race terminated, itself, a half-hour before anticipated.

    > Dumbass -
    >

    > That is a bad, bad excuse. Races go faster than normal. Excessive
    > attacking, tailwinds, good conditions, etc.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    What's an excuse ? It's an explanation. I guess they change traffic
    lights' sequences when you come by, just to keep your miniscule heart
    calm and your sleepy grey cells at low energy.

    Tell you what - YOU try to beat a 200km/h train next time you get a
    chance. We'll all sleep (and read) better (and less), right afterwards.
    Do it as often as required for the desired effect.
    --
    Bonne route -

    Sandy

  16. Sandy wrote:

    > > That is a bad, bad excuse. Races go faster than normal. Excessive
    > > attacking, tailwinds, good conditions, etc.
    > >

    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > K. Gringioni.
    > >

    > What's an excuse ? It's an explanation.

    Dumbass -

    It's an excuse. Lack of contingency planning.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  17. >> > I was under the impression it was the train that was ahead of
    >> > schedule.
    >> >

    >> The race terminated, itself, a half-hour before anticipated.

    > That is a bad, bad excuse. Races go faster than normal. Excessive
    > attacking, tailwinds, good conditions, etc.

    If trains are anything like operations in the USA, then the race
    organizers could not predict the exact time of the train over
    the track. It was a freight train. In the USA it is almost impossible
    to have a certainty that a freight train shall pass over a particular
    crossing at an exact time.

    NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

    My gut reaction is that they didn't anticipate the freight
    train at all. They might have reviewed some passenger
    schedules to avoid a potential conflict.

    --
    ---
    William O'Hara

  18. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > It's an excuse. Lack of contingency planning.

    Let me get this straight. You think that the railway should have
    shuffled their whole interconnected system to accommodate a bicycle
    race? I think Bob Newhart could have made a really good comedy routine
    out of that.

    Dick Durbin

  19. William O'Hara wrote:

    > If trains are anything like operations in the USA,

    Dumbass -

    You have your head up your ass.

    In Europe, the trains are *nothing* like they are in the USA.

    thanks for displaying your ignorance,

    K. Gringioni.

  20. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    William O'Hara <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

    >>> The race terminated, itself, a half-hour before anticipated.

    >> That is a bad, bad excuse. Races go faster than normal. Excessive
    >> attacking, tailwinds, good conditions, etc.

    > If trains are anything like operations in the USA, [snip]

    They are not. Next Q.