The 'full up' hormone that could help cut obesity

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tcomeau, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    The 'full up' hormone that could help cut obesity

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/09/09/hfat09.xml&sSheet=/health/2003/-
    09/17/ixhmain.html

    "British scientists yesterday unveiled what they claim is the most promising anti-obesity drug so
    far: a hunger-regulating hormone that fat people lack."

    "The team found that injecting the hormone into volunteers cut their appetite. Consuming fat
    produces a bigger rise in the hormone, as do certain types of fibrous food, suggesting that a high
    fibre diet may offer an alternative way to stimulate the hormone."

    Interesting article. Especially this comment:

    "Consuming fat produces a bigger rise in the hormone,"

    Would this be part of the explanation as to why low-calorie/low-fat/high-carb diets fail to lead to
    any lasting or significant weight loss in more than 95% of cases?

    And would this not also explain, at least in part, why the Atkins diet, tha Zone diet and other
    low-carb diets seem to work better than the low-fat approach?

    I am continually amazed how supposedly intelligent scientists tend to overlook the small but highly
    significant details that make sense. I am much less surprized about how these researchers appear to
    be more interested in how they can cash in on this research and how talks are on-going with Pfizer.

    TC

    Tags:

  2. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 9/17/2003 12:36 PM, tcomeau wrote:
    > The 'full up' hormone that could help cut obesity
    >
    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/09/09/hfat09.xml&sSheet=/health/200-
    > 3/09/17/ixhmain.html
    >
    > Interesting article. Especially this comment:
    >
    > "Consuming fat produces a bigger rise in the hormone,"
    >
    > Would this be part of the explanation as to why low-calorie/low-fat/high-carb diets fail to lead
    > to any lasting or significant weight loss in more than 95% of cases?

    I think that it really depends on the individual. Fiber makes me feel full and eating something
    towards the high end of what is generally recommended has helped me to loose 50 pounds. Of course
    the whole eat less exercise more thing had something to do with that as well.

  3. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    jmk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 9/17/2003 12:36 PM, tcomeau wrote:
    > > The 'full up' hormone that could help cut obesity
    > >
    > > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/09/09/hfat09.xml&sSheet=/health/2-
    > > 003/09/17/ixhmain.html
    > >
    > > Interesting article. Especially this comment:
    > >
    > > "Consuming fat produces a bigger rise in the hormone,"
    > >
    > > Would this be part of the explanation as to why low-calorie/low-fat/high-carb diets fail to lead
    > > to any lasting or significant weight loss in more than 95% of cases?
    >
    > I think that it really depends on the individual. Fiber makes me feel full and eating something
    > towards the high end of what is generally recommended has helped me to loose 50 pounds. Of course
    > the whole eat less exercise more thing had something to do with that as well.

    All individuals have the same make up when it comes to metabolism. The only difference is where
    there exists a glandular or other medical condition. We all metabolise fats, carbs, proteins, and
    fibre in the exact same way physiologically.

    TC