The future of the thong in woman's sport

Jo

Guest
> : I am interested in what people think the future of the thong may be as a garment in women's
> : sport.
> :
> : There have been major changes in both women's sports kit and underwear over the last 20 years
> : and in some ways these are linked. I sometimes use a leisure centre where many young women wear
> : what could be classed as sports bra and briefs for a range of activities such as use of the gym.
> : In more recent times I have seen a few women wearing much skimpier briefs which reveal a lot of
> : their buttocks and could best be classed as thong briefs. These briefs have a wide waste-band
> : and wide strap up the back widening quite a lot by the time it meets the waste-band, but it is
> : still a thong style. I am wondering where this trend will go and how people will react to it.
> : These girls wear this style of gear for working in the gym and squash and seem to cover up on
> : their way to and from the changing room. I was told they may infringe a dress-code standard so
> : they are keeping a low profile in public areas. I believe that there are many young
women who might soon be wearing briefs of this sort in public.
> : In the last 15 years we have seen woman's sports kit for athletics go from what could best be
> : dicribed as ample knickers and vest to a cropped sports bra top and skimpy briefs. Look at film
> : from say the 1984 Olympics and you don't see any women's abdomens exposed, now you see them all
> : in track and filed sports. Will the next stage be the apperance of thong briefs and is the world
> : ready yet? Will thong briefs appear in sport? If so in what sports? Is the thong already worn in
> : some sports or sporting activities? Are there any negative sides to this trend?

[email protected] (Jo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > : I am interested in what people think the future of the thong may be as a garment in women's
> > : sport.
> > :
> > : There have been major changes in both women's sports kit and underwear over the last 20 years
> > : and in some ways these are linked. I sometimes use a leisure centre where many young women
> > : wear what could be classed as sports bra and briefs for a range of activities such as use of
> > : the gym. In more recent times I have seen a few women wearing much skimpier briefs which
> > : reveal a lot of their buttocks and could best be classed as thong briefs. These briefs have a
> > : wide waste-band and wide strap up the back widening quite a lot by the time it meets the
> > : waste-band, but it is still a thong style. I am wondering where this trend will go and how
> > : people will react to it. These girls wear this style of gear for working in the gym and squash
> > : and seem to cover up on their way to and from the changing room. I was told they may infringe
> > : a dress-code standard so they are keeping a low profile in public areas. I believe that there
> > : are many young
> women who might soon be wearing briefs of this sort in public.
> > : In the last 15 years we have seen woman's sports kit for athletics go from what could best be
> > : dicribed as ample knickers and vest to a cropped sports bra top and skimpy briefs. Look at
> > : film from say the 1984 Olympics and you don't see any women's abdomens exposed, now you see
> > : them all in track and filed sports. Will the next stage be the apperance of thong briefs and
> > : is the world ready yet? Will thong briefs appear in sport? If so in what sports? Is the thong
> > : already worn in some sports or sporting activities? Are there any negative sides to this
> > : trend?

So you're the guy at the gym with the picture phone.

On 12 Oct 2003 16:16:49 -0700, [email protected] (Jo) wrote:

>> : I am interested in what people think the future of the thong may be as a garment in women's
>> : sport.

It will split the competition.

>> :
>> : There have been major changes in both women's sports kit and underwear over the last 20 years
>> : and in some ways these are linked. I sometimes use a leisure centre where many young women wear
>> : what could be classed as sports bra and briefs for a range of activities such as use of the
>> : gym. In more recent times I have seen a few women wearing much skimpier briefs which reveal a
>> : lot of their buttocks and could best be classed as thong briefs. These briefs have a wide
>> : waste-band and wide strap up the back widening quite a lot by the time it meets the waste-band,
>> : but it is still a thong style.

Where is this leisure centre and how much does it cost to join? Are they still taking new members
(pun intended)?

>>I am
>> : wondering where this trend will go and how people will react to it. These girls wear this style
>> : of gear for working in the gym and squash and seem to cover up on their way to and from the
>> : changing room. I was told they may infringe a dress-code standard so they are keeping a low
>> : profile in public areas. I believe that there are many young
> women who might soon be wearing briefs of this sort in public.
>> : In the last 15 years we have seen woman's sports kit for athletics go from what could best be
>> : dicribed as ample knickers and vest to a cropped sports bra top and skimpy briefs. Look at film
>> : from say the 1984 Olympics and you don't see any women's abdomens exposed, now you see them all
>> : in track and filed sports. Will the next stage be the apperance of thong briefs and is the
>> : world ready yet? Will thong briefs appear in sport? If so in what sports?

I'd say bodybuilding and aerobics-related activities would be the first place to look. The track and
field briefs currently in use can become very thong-like under the right conditions.

>> : Is the thong already worn in some sports or sporting activities?

>> : Are there any negative sides to this trend?

Nope. Thongs have been scientifically proven to improve performance.

[email protected] (Jo) wrote:
> > : I am interested in what people think the future of the thong may be as a garment in women's
> > : sport. Will the next stage be the apperance of thong briefs and is the world ready yet? Will
> > : thong briefs appear in sport? If so in what sports?

Sports bikinis, then gradually spreading to club and dating bikinis and even daywear bikinis for
schools and stores.

And then the really hot trend: body-hugging sports miniskirts, not just for tennis and golf, but
running, weights, biking (already seen them), track & field (including pole vaulting), even skiiing,
archery, rifle and gun sports, volleyball, basketball, etc.

Young and middle aged female newscasters will start wearing their skirts higher and higher, and tops
lower and lower cut, and an undeclared Leg War will erupt both in the national news circuits as well
as the local ones. Oops, I mean: already
did. When even the hostess of 48 hours or some of them other TV magazine expose shows is hiking it
up, my God...

On 14 Oct 2003 21:42:43 -0700, [email protected] (Jo) wrote:

>Somebody e-mailed me to point out that a English professional squash player called Vicky Botwright
>did play in a thong a year or so ago. Photos of her in this gear are available at
>www.squashpicks.com/vickbot/

Your link does not function.

Could we get a serious and preferably female view on this topic.

The original message makes a very valid point - in certain sports women are wearing skimpier
clothing and this has been a trend since the 70's. Competitive female athletes are basically in
their underwear for some sports and the trend follows to some extent to amateur sport.

Could some women who wear the bra and briefs gear comment on how they feel about it?

Also would you go as far as the thong gear worn by the squash player called Vicky as this seems to
be where the trend is pointing?

On 19 Oct 2003 15:05:12 -0700, [email protected] (rosie21352000) wrote:

>Could we get a serious and preferably female view on this topic.

Serious, maybe.

Female, absolutely

Thongs are a bit too much in my opinion, but briefs have been around for a long time. We wore them
in high school 25 years ago. The real change that doesn't seem to be talked about is what men wear.
In the summer my husband wears nylon shorts that are cut high on the sides (and no underwear). When
he runs the white liner shows quite clearly, and since he sweats a lot, it becomes nearly
translucent some times. He is actually wearing less than most of the women that you are discussing,
and he isn' the only guy that does this either. It seems to be very popular around here (LI). For
some reason non of these guys think anything about it, but it gets talked about a lot in the women's
bathroom before and after the races.

Christine

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:17:04 GMT, Mark and Christine <[email protected]> wrote:

>For some reason non of these guys think anything about it, but it gets talked about a lot in the
>women's bathroom before and after the races.

I'd heard rumors my name was graffitied on the girls locker room wall...

>Subject: Re: The future of the thong in woman's sport From: [email protected] (rosie21352000)
>Date: 10/19/2003 6:05 PM Eastern Standard Time Message-id:
><[email protected]>

>Could some women who wear the bra and briefs gear comment on how they feel about it?

Two comments-- firstly, I find that wearing thongs reminds and encourages me to maintain proper
pelvic tilt and to keep my abdominal muscles taught.

Secondly, and I tease my kids about this-- what is the point, especially regarding underwear, of
wasting material to cover the gluts/cheeks? Is this almost a bra-like issue? Do the gluts really
need to be covered? Tradition dies hard.

Wearing a thong as an external clothing item for exercise is another story, even over leotard. This
is often done in health clubs and dance classes. I think it's a bit risqué myself, but it really
doesn't show anything. It's suggestive, more than anything.

[email protected] (Lily55320) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >Subject: Re: The future of the thong in woman's sport From: [email protected]
> >(rosie21352000) Date: 10/19/2003 6:05 PM Eastern Standard Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
>
> >Could some women who wear the bra and briefs gear comment on how they feel about it?
>
> Two comments-- firstly, I find that wearing thongs reminds and encourages me to maintain proper
> pelvic tilt and to keep my abdominal muscles taught.
>
> Secondly, and I tease my kids about this-- what is the point, especially regarding underwear, of
> wasting material to cover the gluts/cheeks? Is this almost a bra-like issue? Do the gluts really
> need to be covered? Tradition dies hard.
>
> Wearing a thong as an external clothing item for exercise is another story, even over leotard.
> This is often done in health clubs and dance classes. I think it's a bit risqué myself, but it
> really doesn't show anything. It's suggestive, more than anything.

Its interesting that you think thong gives you better posture, I have not heard that before.

I also agree that probably the need to cover the gluts/cheeks is not necessary, as exposing them
does not show anything more of an embarrassing nature, but tradition means they are covered. You
seem to be saying you have worn a thong uncovered if so where and how did you feel about it?

Mark and Christine <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 19 Oct 2003 15:05:12 -0700, [email protected] (rosie21352000) wrote:
>
> >Could we get a serious and preferably female view on this topic.
> >

> Serious, maybe.
>
> Female, absolutely
>
> Thongs are a bit too much in my opinion, but briefs have been around for a long time. We wore them
> in high school 25 years ago. The real change that doesn't seem to be talked about is what men
> wear. In the summer my husband wears nylon shorts that are cut high on the sides (and no
> underwear). When he runs the white liner shows quite clearly, and since he sweats a lot, it
> becomes nearly translucent some times. He is actually wearing less than most of the women that you
> are discussing, and he isn' the only guy that does this either. It seems to be very popular around
> here (LI). For some reason non of these guys think anything about it, but it gets talked about a
> lot in the women's bathroom before and after the races.
>
> Christine

Girls wore briefs for sport when I was at school in the 80's as well, but they were gym knickers
which had a very square cut and very high waste line – they were huge and covered a lot. The briefs
available now for women have much higher legs and a much lower waste line. The big advance since the
80's is women wearing bra tops with maybe 12 or 15 inches of bare midriff between briefs and top. My
original point was why did this happen and if the answer is something like it keeps them cool, why
are the men not doing it as well!

On 20 Oct 2003 16:52:19 -0700, [email protected] (rosie21352000) wrote:

>Its interesting that you think thong gives you better posture, I have not heard that before.

Maybe because she never said that.

>I also agree that probably the need to cover the gluts/cheeks is not necessary, as exposing them
>does not show anything more of an embarrassing nature, but tradition means they are covered. You
>seem to be saying you have worn a thong uncovered if so where and how did you feel about it?

And most importantly, where does she run, and at what time?

On 20 Oct 2003 17:58:10 -0700, [email protected] (Jo) wrote:

>>... My original point
>was why did this happen and if the answer is something like it keeps them cool, why are the men not
>doing it as well!
don't the men look bad enough in those running shorts? i'm a man and i feel embarrassed when i see
marathoners on tv. this spectacle isn't good for the sport. ...thehick

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:19:45 -0400, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 20 Oct 2003 17:58:10 -0700, [email protected] (Jo) wrote:
>
>>>... My original point
>>was why did this happen and if the answer is something like it keeps them cool, why are the men
>>not doing it as well!
>don't the men look bad enough in those running shorts? i'm a man and i feel embarrassed when i see
>marathoners on tv. this spectacle isn't good for the sport. ...thehick

Got something you're deeply ashamed of Hick? Don't feel bad, from what I hear from the lil' guys is
that size doesn't matter (ignore what their wives are saying.)

[email protected] (rosie21352000) wrote:
> Could we get a serious and preferably female view on this topic.
>
> The original message makes a very valid point - in certain sports women are wearing skimpier
> clothing and this has been a trend since the 70's.

That's foreshortened perspective on your part caused by being too young to remember what came in the
decades previous.

The original reply was quite serious indeed. There is, in fact, a general trend that's been around
for the last 100 years or so, for swimwear in women's fashions to gradually migrate to daywear and
other venues (with a latency period of a generation r two); not just sports, and not just since the
1970's. So, it's no suprise that running outfits look more like 2-piece bikinis, because that's what
they're turning into; as are short dresses seen in clubs and on dates and in more casual settings.
Likewise, the dresses (particularly the shorter ones) see in the last 30 years or so are essentially
identical to the swimdresses seen in the 1930's and 1940's. Even the halter top originated in that
setting as a way to get exposure for purposes of tanning.