The Future's Bright...the future's Boonen

Yeah, Tom Boonen looks like he started the season like the way he finished 2006.

Het Volk and K-B-K are good results :

It was suggested that Gert Steegman slowed at the finish after leading TB out to ensure Boonen the win? Did anyone see this race to verify that?

wolfix said:
It was suggested that Gert Steegman slowed at the finish after leading TB out to ensure Boonen the win? Did anyone see this race to verify that?

Yes I did see that, hmm hard to say, but it did look like Tom had to work really hard to get past him. All I will say is good thing he was on the same team...

wolfix said:
I watched it and would agree. The Lead out man slowed to allow him to go by. Boonen still looked good in both races. Check out cyclingtv.net/ to watch.

wolfix said:
Did anyone see why Tyler Farrar and his teammate were sprinting for nearly identical positions - 10th and 11th?

azdroptop said:
I watched it and would agree. The Lead out man slowed to allow him to go by. Boonen still looked good in both races. Check out cyclingtv.net/ to watch.
Its the job of the leadout man to lead the protected rider to the victory.

The Double Zero said:
Its the job of the leadout man to lead the protected rider to the victory.

yep and lets face it any sprinter worth their salt is going to be on Boonen's wheel and not his leadout man (easier said than done it must be said.)

And as for him slowing...i think after doing a Km or so at or around 60 MPH i think he's entitled to a rest dont you? :)

I on the other hand is a bit worried about Boonens form, he didn't manage to bridge up to Flecha and Stuey on saturday and had no answer for Pozzato in the final.

On the other hand i did manage to win on sunday regardless of if Steegmans slowed or not. He was also the only one to get a result in both races, Flecha and Pozzato both were DNF. Only Stuey showed great form in both races bar Boonen.

If you get the chance to see the aerial camera's re-run of Saturday's final 500 metres Pozzato's final burst of speed is astonishing - absolutely blew Boonen and the others to pieces.

Flecha and O'Gready appeared to blow it by slowing to play cat and mouse - either one could have won if they had kept the power on for another 2-300 metres.

Or as the crappy Norwegian commentater said when I watched "They are giving up", refering to Stuey and Flecha. They are giving up!! Imagine Flecha saying to Stuey with 1 k left "we are in the lead, we've proven our point, lets just give up and go home". Somebody must do something about that commentater soon.