The Good Old Squeaky Noise Problem!

Corby2014

Dec 13, 2014
Hi All, I'll keep it shortish: Sent bike for a service , BB creaking when climbing, bike has been returned with NO creaking but has now developed a squeak whislt pedalling. The squeak only happens on the road and not when I'm on the Turbo. Squeak occurs on the following: Big Chainring only, rear cassette 1-4 Back pedalling with above scenario. Above 18mph. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me mad.

Originally Posted by Corby2014

queak occurs on the following:

Big Chainring only, rear cassette 1-4
Back pedalling with above scenario.
Above 18mph.
In short, it only happens when you're moderately to acutely cross-chaining from the big ring, and moving faster than 18 mph. And it only happens when the chain is turning, either forwards or backwards.

Have you cleaned and lubed your chain lately? And while you're looking at it, look for a stiff or bent link.

Front derailleur rub?
Seat rail squeaking when rocking in the saddle?
Rear derailleur pulley bushing/bearing need greased/oiled?

Thanks for the responses, I presumed that everything would have been greased up and tightened during the top end service I paid for last week....not so! I oiled the chain and torqued up some bolts on the chainring etc before my ride today, the ride was done in the big chainring at a 19.5mph avg, no squeaking. Looks like the bike mech forgot to do some bits!