The gratuitous name dropping thread!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Eldron, May 17, 2002.

1. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I have'nt read the article yet. Waz he say?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ride magazine were interviewing him (RH) and were defending their comment in a prev issue where they called him a small fish in a big pond. Anyway, the comment to which I am relating is this . . . (You will need to read the full article to put it all into perspective, but this is what was printed that I found disappointing.)
    Quote : "This whole mountain biking story with Greg Minnaar. That pissed me off. If Greg's got a problem with the way things have turned out then that's his problem. I know you guys (Ride Mag) are big into your mountain biking. If you and the mountain biking world aren't happy with things, then that's your problem. If people think I'm not a good enough bike rider, bring Greg to ride the races I ride. I will quite happily go ride a downhill race against Greg Minnaar. I guarantee you he will sh*t himself when he sees I can also ride downhill. I don't say I'm world class, because that's not my event, but I guarantee he will not beat me by far. In fact, write this article. Put up three events - a cross country MTB race and a road race. I guarantee you I'll beat him in two of those events . . . and by a long way!"

I'm a HUGE Robert Hunter fan, but I'm also a HUGE Greg Minnaar fan. Robert's tone and comments in the article alleged that Greg made some comments about Robert in an international mag/journal, and if this is the case, then that's poor form by Greg. I find it a bit distressing that the two BEST cyclists ever to emerge from SA, (in my opinion), (no disrespect to the van Heerden's/ Engelbrechts and other greats) are having a bit of a tantrum tiff with each other. We're meant to be batting for the SAME side.

3. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Hmm, the media does tend to bring out the worst in people.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

:), ahh dont wory they are just immiture. they will change (hopefully) there was a Aussie sptinter (Graham Brown) he was having a fit about Robbie Mcewan. Mcewan got the win in a race becase brown cut him off and nearly rode him into the barracades. Mcewan was not happy and brown was unrepentant. i havent heard much of browns behavior lately so he must of learned to calm down.(he looks like a great sprinter)

5. Eldron

Eldron New Member

Sounds like the media are turning a mole hill into a mountain - I betya if Greg and Robert sat face to face for 2 seconds the whole problem would disappear...

Second hand info is a dangerous weapon in the hands of the media.

6. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I read the article this weekend. RH seems a bit peeved with some of the comments that Ride and GM has made.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

One thing I am impressed with though VO2, Robert BELIEVES in himself. At that level of racing you have to expel any doubt of your ability from your mind. Some may interpret it as a big ego and arrogance, but I think that is why Robert Hunter will go from strength to strength.

Makes us proud Robbie!!!

8. ewep

ewep New Member

OK, I met the following people (some only the local SA people might know):

1. Frik du Preez. My grandfather was his coach in the Army.
    2. Uli Schmidt. He was my grandfathers doctor in the army and I met him at a Sports night held by my school.
    3. Ertjies Bezuidenhout. Lived in Vanderbijlpark. Joined him once or twice riding. Hard man on lazy cyclists, very helpfull and funny!
    4. P.W. Botha. Some may say not so nice, but I met him and chatted to him in George. Hell of a personality!

ewep. Good general allround oke, OK cyclist, bleepin good oke ;D

On the Robbie vs. Greg story I must say that I have been following it for months and some Ride readers and the editor, Sean Badenhorst, has been going Robbie because he got the Cyclist of the Year award. They said Greg should have won the thing. Robbie didn't ask for it, he won it, and they don't seem to realise that. I think his comments were made defending himself against said allegations.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

My personality goes with a story, an embarressing story!!!!!!!

During the Mccarthy relay last year I that was run in rainy conditions I stood just past the start to cheer our teams. A cyclist was standing next to the road and we started chatting. We talked about wet roads and the dangers, pity about the rain and I asked him if any big guns were taking part for the day. He said no and I asked if Douglas Ryder was there. To my utmost embarresment he said that he was Doug Ryder!!!!!!! I felt as if the earth opened up and swallowed me in!!!!!! He was very nice about it and we chatted for a while. He was waiting for his wife who was riding the first leg of the relay.

Afterwards I found it strange that he was on a Da Rosa
    wearing Microsoft kit!!!!!

Other people I have met was Hannes Brewis and Mannetjies Roux. I also met Niki Lauda, Carlos Reuteman and Jackie Stewart during a GP on Kayalami. Sarel vd Merwe, Ove Andersson, The Fekkens and other during previous Total Rally's.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice one Big H ;D

I'm a member of Club100 and we get to ride with and meet Dougie Ryder quite often. I actually had a long chat with his wife on one of our training rides.

Doug R and Andrew McLean sometimes pass us on our early morning training rides. I actually had quite an amusing experience the one morning. We usually come bolting down Sandton Drive and have a bit of a sprint, so off we go, hurtling down the road. Now I've been known to take up the odd little race on our rides from time to time and I caught and passed a fellow tucked in tightly. To my amazement at the bottom of the hill it was Sir Andrew. Felt a little embarressed for showing disrespect. It was unintentional, honest ;D

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Did someone mention my name? So, what are you saying Eldron? That I am stupid? .... Well? .....

...I'm waiting....

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I use www.webshots.com. It is free and easy to use. I haven't found a limit yet and I have hundreds of photos on that site. You can indicate whether you want your photos to be public or private and arrange them in albums. Also, they don't SPAM you. I signed up with Shutterfly once and I am still getting SPAM from them daily. I have heard that the photos capability on Yahoo is good. I tried it several times for several weeks and the website kept having problems when I tried to create an account. So, go figure!

13. Eldron

Eldron New Member

Persistence - NO NO not at all....misunderstanding....

I tried to post my "Missy Giove and I" photo about 5 times and it didn't work - someone asked me if I'd met Persistence (the word meaning never gives up - not you) and I said Yes to the point of stupidity meaning I am too dumb to know when to stop trying to post my photo.

Forgot that there was a user called Persistence....apologies for any unintended implications...

14. Guest

Guest Guest

It is okay, Eldron. I am just giving you a hard time. And, here I was thinking that someone remembered me. That is what I get for arrogance. ;)

No need to scramble for apology, Eldron. I knew what you meant. I was just poking fun. :)

15. Eldron

Eldron New Member

With a photo like that I'm be surprised if people forgot! I'm engaged so I have an excuse!

What? No cyclingforums official Persistence stalking club yet?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I will began accepting registration for my stalking club next week.

Please make sure to include your $25 registration fee. And, please include all pertinate information (i.e. credit card numbers, passport/drivers license/social security numbers, home address, phone numbers, and anything else that might help me access your monetary funds).

:)

17. Eldron

Eldron New Member

Have you been taling tips from the Nigerians? Up until now I though they were the world leaders in emptying bank accounts ;D

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Persistence,

Where do I sign-up?  ;D  I have a thing for lovely ladies on their bikes.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

hmm...interesting Lab_Rat....

So, does your ideal girl just sit on a CompuTrainer all day long while you watch, or does she get to get off the bike every once-in-awhile, too?

hmmm..sounds somewhat voyeuristic to me.

20. Eldron

Eldron New Member

I agree with Lab Rat - ladies on bikes are YOWSERwomen. Not just bikes though - female athletes in general - there is nothing sexier than a woman with muscles. Not the gym buff steroid type muscle - just enough muscle to accentuate the curves.

Eldron turns up the aircon - phew....