The gratuitous name dropping thread!

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
OK OK I did it!

Put the names of the cyclists, top sportsmen, personalities, Playgirl Playmates (note the capitals!), politicians (with the corresponding insults) and give us your opinion (where they approachable, arrogant, friendly etc).

Me: Chris Boardmen - met him at one of the launches for his book. Friendly, humble, approachable with a good sense of humour!

• Robert Hunter - I have one of his Lampre jerseys, autographed by the man himself. Robert's brother also dates a distant 'niece' of mine.
  • Wasim Akram - a miniature cricket bat autographed by him. On the same bat I also got Inzimam Ul Haq and Amir Sohail to autograph. Best of all is that I had the privilege to bowl to Sohail in the nets. 8)
  • Graham Hancock - renowned author of books like Fingerprints of the Gods and Keeper of Genesis. I met him at a bookstore, promoting his new book Underworld, which he also autographed for my wife. Graham is one of the most humblest and sincere persons I have ever had the privilege to meet, and I regret never having an hour or more to chat to him.
    His official website is here
  • Mrs. Engelbrecht - mother of legendary SA cyclist Willie Engelbrecht. During this years Argus trip we slept over at her house for a few nights. Man, can she chat! A real nice lady with thousands of little stories to tell.

Phil Ligget - The biggest man in Cycling. Spoke to him once when they had a Rapport tour through our city. Very nice guy. He actually greeted me while I was standing round in the hotel lobby hoping to get to chat with some of the riders. He wanted to go for a ride in the area and was wanting to know if I knew the best routes and if I wanted to join them. I was not feeling too good that day and missed out on going for a ride along with him and a few of the tour riders.

Francois Pienaar ( :) Thought that would get your attention) signed my programme when his team played my local team, but didn't get chance to talk to him.

Phil Ligget - The biggest man in Cycling. Spoke to him once when they had a Rapport tour through our city. Very nice guy. He actually greeted me while I was standing round in the hotel lobby hoping to get to chat with some of the riders. He  wanted to go for a ride in the area and was wanting to know if I knew the best routes and if I wanted to join them. I was not feeling too good that day and missed out on going for a ride along with him and a few of the tour riders.

Even if i was not feeling good and i had the chance i wud ride with them!

Jason Queally

Very nice guy friendly approachable if your lucky he asked me if i wanted to sit next to him so i did and he gave me his autograph which was nice he aslo gos on alot of kids programmes like blue peter to sponsor and talk about cycling :)

Even if i was not feeling good and i had the chance i wud ride with them!

I wanted to but beleive me I was feeling really grotty. My legs were really not up to it. I had a serious case of flu just two days prior and was just out of bed that morning to go and see the riders on their off day. To make matters worse I was standing round the British National team and they gave my old man and I a coke each, and while we were chatting a bee ended up in mine. Not fun when you get one of them in your mouth. Was quite embarrasing spiting all my coke out after taking a big sip. The guys from the team thought they had given me a bad drink.

Also with the same guys I got to ride one of the team bikes round the parking lot after enquiring about the STI levers and how they felt. They were the Dura-Ace levers and at that stage I had just bought the 600 ones and never had a chance to ride with the Dura-Ace levers. Can't remember who's bike it was but I recall he was quite good in England round that time.

They were looking for some money cause they wanted to spend a few days extra in South Africa so I ended up buying a whole lot of clothes from them. Two skin Suits, and two shirts, my dad bought shorts and a shirt from them. I think we paid something like R120 for the lot. Bonus was the one shirt I bought was one that one of the riders had apparently won in the Milk Race, the U23 leaders white jersey. Looks like it was never worn. I have never worn it either, so yeah it is cool.

Hey y'all!

Picture_0139.jpg

Just thought I'd 'one up' the lot of you with this tasty photo.... That's me on the left and Missy Giove on the right! What a cool lady - the press always make her out to be this crazed phsyco ***** but she was approachable, friendly and sexy!

Met her on the weekend at the downhill event in Scotland - bumped into her while roaming the Global Racing team tent looking for Greg Minnaar - met him too! Aint life sweet sometimes?

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

Triple hissy fit complete with fist on floor thumping and jumping from one leg to the other!!!!

How the bleeping hell are you supposed to get the bleeping photos on the bleeping site? Even tried the bleeping HELP site and it didn't bleepin help.

What's the use of having a celebrity shot if you can't use it to make your friends feel bad?

Hey Eldron,

have you met Persistence? ;D ;D

I gave up after one failed event.

Keep trying though. By the way, how long did it take your HR to recover from your tantrem. It's a good sign of firness you know. ;D

Hehehehe. I know Persistence very well - her surname is: to the point of stupidity! Hissy fits are a strenuous activity indeed. Screw Fartlek training I've found a new way!

I guess Yahoo doesn't like me using their My Photo section - guess you guys will just have to believe me!

To all and general: Which sites are you photo posting people using to store your photos?

Huh??!!

I don't think so. Where did you get that from ??? I was saying that Eldron was persistent. Unless I've missed something in his reply? :eek:

Sorry,

Sometimes my subtle sense of humour gets a bit confusing. It would be nice if we could chat with Missy and the boyz at Global.

Have you seen Robert Hunter's comments in the new Ride Magazine. I'm a bit disappointed, but I don't know all the facts and whether his allegations are true.

Hmmm.

I've met Anriette Schoeman a couple of times. Pretty, friendly and a hell of a cyclist. I won't try and upload the photo.