The Great Quick Release/Disk Brake Debate.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nelson Binch, May 18, 2003.

  1. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    Questions:

    (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/13/2003

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Questions:
    >
    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    I have one.

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    None so far. Not even a hint of trouble.

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
    on
    > bikes?

    I'd say pretty fecking low.

    Mike

  3. > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    Mine.

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    None

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
    on
    > bikes?

    Negligible amount.

    SmallBlackDog

  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    I've got one

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    None

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

    /3 so far

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Questions:
    >
    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    Aye.

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    A big fat 'nil' here.

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
    on
    > bikes?

    I keep falling off mine. That hurts.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Questions:
    >
    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    one

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    zero

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

    The only safety issue in this "debate" that was dredged back up by wreck.bicycles.testicles is that
    they are a bunch of e-tards.

    JD

  7. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:
    > Questions:

    I know this one!!!

    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    Well I've ridden one for a little over 2 years..

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    Err none that have anything todo with the quick-release/disc-brakes

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

    Well I'd say the ammount of accidents I have has increased but then I suspect that more to do with
    me trying harder stuff.

  8. Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

    To make a real relative comparison, what are other major safety issues on bikes? Are there ones that
    manufacturers should be addressing? I mean ones that can lead to major injuries (fork breaking,
    stem/bar breaking, front wheel falling out, maybe pedal spindle breaking?) Not equipment failures
    that result in scraped shins. I really can't think of many, especially if you don't use stupidlite
    equipment.

    Ben

  9. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Questions:
    >
    > (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

    I've got one

    > (2) How many incidents have occurred?

    None relating to QR

    > (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
    on
    > bikes?

    I fall off less with disc brakes, 'cos I can stop the damn thing controllably now. My front wheel is
    less likely to explode with no abrasive V-brake pads eating my rim. Hikers are more likely to hear
    me coming when my front disc howls.

    On the downside, I could burn my fingers if I was daft enough to touch the hot disc after a
    downhill. However, because it is made in the good old US of A it has a great big warning notice on
    it saying that it could be hot! (Doh! What a country - Land of the Free? Land of the Litigated to
    Death more like)

    Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

  10. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]ambo.ucolick.org> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?
    >
    >> (2) How many incidents have occurred?
    >
    >> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?
    >
    > To make a real relative comparison, what are other major safety issues on bikes? Are there ones
    > that manufacturers should be addressing? I mean ones that can lead to major injuries (fork
    > breaking, stem/bar breaking, front wheel falling out, maybe pedal spindle breaking?) Not equipment
    > failures that result in scraped shins. I really can't think of many, especially if you don't use
    > stupidlite equipment.
    >
    > Ben

    Biggest safety issue on bikes is falling off of them. I tend to do this fairly often. I also learned
    that if you are flying down a hill and you have a pretty tight grip on your brakes, you should let
    go whenever you catch a little air because the tires tend to stop rolling when your bike hits the
    ground again, resulting in you hitting the ground. 20 MPH feels a lot faster when you're no longer
    on the bike.

  11. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    Mr. E. Mann wrote:

    > Biggest safety issue on bikes is falling off of them. I tend to do this fairly often. I also
    > learned that if you are flying down a hill and you have a pretty tight grip on your brakes, you
    > should let go whenever you catch a little air because the tires tend to stop rolling when your
    > bike hits the ground again, resulting in you hitting the ground. 20 MPH feels a lot faster when
    > you're no longer on the bike.

    I agree, although the few times I havn't fallen off the bike I've collided with rarther solid things
    like trees.. Take it from me those buggers are harder then they look.. <Wince>

    Gyp

    P.S. <Chuckle