The Great Quick Release/Disk Brake Debate.

Nelson Binch

Guest
Questions:

(1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

(2) How many incidents have occurred?

(3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/13/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Questions:
>
> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

I have one.

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

None so far. Not even a hint of trouble.

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
on
> bikes?

I'd say pretty fecking low.

Mike

> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

Mine.

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

None

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
on
> bikes?

Negligible amount.

SmallBlackDog

> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

I've got one

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

None

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

/3 so far

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Questions:
>
> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

Aye.

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

A big fat 'nil' here.

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
on
> bikes?

I keep falling off mine. That hurts.

Shaun aRe

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Questions:
>
> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

one

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

zero

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

The only safety issue in this "debate" that was dredged back up by wreck.bicycles.testicles is that
they are a bunch of e-tards.

JD

Nelson Binch wrote:
> Questions:

I know this one!!!

> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

Well I've ridden one for a little over 2 years..

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

Err none that have anything todo with the quick-release/disc-brakes

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

Well I'd say the ammount of accidents I have has increased but then I suspect that more to do with
me trying harder stuff.

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote:

> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?

To make a real relative comparison, what are other major safety issues on bikes? Are there ones that
manufacturers should be addressing? I mean ones that can lead to major injuries (fork breaking,
stem/bar breaking, front wheel falling out, maybe pedal spindle breaking?) Not equipment failures
that result in scraped shins. I really can't think of many, especially if you don't use stupidlite
equipment.

Ben

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Questions:
>
> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?

I've got one

> (2) How many incidents have occurred?

None relating to QR

> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues
on
> bikes?

I fall off less with disc brakes, 'cos I can stop the damn thing controllably now. My front wheel is
less likely to explode with no abrasive V-brake pads eating my rim. Hikers are more likely to hear
me coming when my front disc howls.

On the downside, I could burn my fingers if I was daft enough to touch the hot disc after a
downhill. However, because it is made in the good old US of A it has a great big warning notice on
it saying that it could be hot! (Doh! What a country - Land of the Free? Land of the Litigated to
Death more like)

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> (1) How many QR/DB bikes exist?
>
>> (2) How many incidents have occurred?
>
>> (3) How does the ratio of incidents/bikes compare to other safety issues on bikes?
>
> To make a real relative comparison, what are other major safety issues on bikes? Are there ones
> that manufacturers should be addressing? I mean ones that can lead to major injuries (fork
> breaking, stem/bar breaking, front wheel falling out, maybe pedal spindle breaking?) Not equipment
> failures that result in scraped shins. I really can't think of many, especially if you don't use
> stupidlite equipment.
>
> Ben

Biggest safety issue on bikes is falling off of them. I tend to do this fairly often. I also learned
that if you are flying down a hill and you have a pretty tight grip on your brakes, you should let
go whenever you catch a little air because the tires tend to stop rolling when your bike hits the
ground again, resulting in you hitting the ground. 20 MPH feels a lot faster when you're no longer
on the bike.

Mr. E. Mann wrote:

> Biggest safety issue on bikes is falling off of them. I tend to do this fairly often. I also
> learned that if you are flying down a hill and you have a pretty tight grip on your brakes, you
> should let go whenever you catch a little air because the tires tend to stop rolling when your
> bike hits the ground again, resulting in you hitting the ground. 20 MPH feels a lot faster when
> you're no longer on the bike.

I agree, although the few times I havn't fallen off the bike I've collided with rarther solid things
like trees.. Take it from me those buggers are harder then they look.. <Wince>

Gyp

P.S. <Chuckle