The great rugby discussion

Laz- this thread will go on forever, remember the best players are on the sideline and in the stands... and at home watching the telly and ... everywhere! :p
Gavin, sorry to say but I think you guys have some thinking to do.
Us South Africans have the same problem though just a lot bigger. I think the Pumas are going to give us a run for our money when they come to visit us. If you look at what the French did with the Scots in the 6 Nations and how we did against the Scots we are in for a hard time.
At this time I'll put my money on England for the World cup, they play hard up front, has the backline to go through just about any defense and play with passion (and they have more than enough confidence after beating what's considered to be the best teams around at the moment), the only thing that might stop them is over confidence.
I rate them #1 at this stage.

Lazy Legs your right about the best players being in the crowd, because no matter how bad my local team played I always talked a good game.

I'm also with you about England, THEY ARE AWESOME.
Okay the forwards are getting old and this will be their last chance to win the WC, so I figure it's making them even more determined to win the thing.
The backs are fast solid and confident (bigheaded) but I figure they are entitled to be.

Now promise not to mention Wales and I'll sleep happy.

Originally posted by Lazarus-g
The backs are fast solid and confident (bigheaded) but I figure they are entitled to be.

Now promise not to mention Wales and I'll sleep happy.

Did you watch the game against the Ausies on Saturday, that tackle; #15 white on #21 gold. :eek: That must rate as the tackle of the season. Ouch!!! I didn't think he's going to continue the game after that.

Wales, how do you spell that... Whales, we've got some here in South Africa. They're good swimmers you know! :D

Wales = Wails

or as you pointed out Whales, which brings to mind a large slow ponderous animal.
Yep that about sums up welsh rugby.
:)

What a pathetic performance from our boys in green and gold again last Saturday. The only reason they have for smiling is the scoreboard (it somehow managed to show more points for the "boks" than the "Pumas", how they managed that I honestly don't know?)
The best player was only allowed about 10 minutes of playing time?
I don't even want to think what's going to happen in the Tri-nations, we are going to get slaughtered, even with poor team selections that you have been complaining about Gavin, I don't think you will have any problems from us!

At least I'm smilling again after Saturday’s game.
gavin11756 you must be mad as hell, our guys showed some of the commitment and HEART that we expect of them in Saturdays game. Now they just have to repeat their performance this comming Saturday against the Kiwies, they don't have to win - just showthat they want to win and play the game and I'll be prepared to put some money on them for the world cup. They still have a long way to go before I'll back them to win the WC, but at least they won't bomb out in the prelim round like our cricketers.
Back to Saturdays game; Fortunately v/d Westhuizen (fullback) got injured and made space for our secret weapon - Brent Russel! :cool: Now you know why we were so p.....d off when he didn't make the starting lineup. What can I say...? He made a change the moment he came onto the field.
Then there was the man of the match "Berry" :eek: I'm sure more than one Ausie had nightmares about him Saturday night! :p Some ... no most of his tackles were just amazing, and that sparked the other guys to do the same. I think the Sprinboks made more telling tackles in one game on Saturday than they did this past 2 seasons!
Then that HUGE lock who beat most of the loose forwards, make that ALL of the loose forwards to round of the second try for the Boks.
Well as I said I'll wait to see what they do on Saturday with the Kiwies before I get to exited.

:D

Wasn't it FANTASTIC!!!! :D

I'm glad you brought this thread up. The Ausies would never have done it. Brent had a brilliant game, and De Wet was "op sy stukke". Reminded me about Butch James, only difference being De Wet used his arms.

What were the initial reaction in Aus when the team did not win?

I know in SA we can get quite frustrated........AHHH but then we have BEER and all is well again.

Looks like we're not gonna get any reply from the Ausies on this one! Wonder why? Maybe they'll come back after the next game... or the next... or........ you get my point?