UK and Europe · Public discussion

The Guardian gets it wrong

Started by Tom Crispin · · Last activity · 58 posts · 1,361 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
10 February 2008
Last activity
16 February 2008
Original author
Tom Crispin
Posts
58
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,361
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 58
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In message <[email hidden]>

    Tom Crispin said:

    But why a pedestrian would choose to walk along
    a wide cyclelane when there's a separate footway alongside is beyond
    me.

    I can only assume that they are confused because so few of us use
    them?

    Stirling Walk, Surbiton, Friday am some poor soul just did not know
    why I was ringing the feeble bell as he wandered aimlessly in the
    cycle lane.

    8mph is fast when approaching such a hazard.

    --
    Charles
    Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
    LCC; CTC.

  2. Pete Biggs said:
    Tom Crispin said:

    Using Back roads I cycled to Woolwich, though I could easily have used
    the traffic free Thames Path. From the Woolwich Ferry I cycled east
    along Factory Road to Silvertown. From there I went north through
    Becton Park and hooked up with The Greenway [TQ420823]. From memory,
    there were two toucan crossings on the Greenway,

    There more crossings than that, though the stretches between them are quite
    long.

    Quoted message said:

    which changed to
    green almost immediately after I pressed the button. At one point the
    Greenway was cordened off by police and I had to make a large
    diversion. Two bikes were down, and I heard that someone called Joe
    had stabbed another lad.
    www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/P2104694
    The Greeway is close to pencil straight, and is whisked me the four
    miles from North Becton [TQ420823], past the Stratford Olympic site to
    Old Ford [TQ373838] in no time, despite the diversion and chat with
    local Bobbies.

    Why mention the Greenway? To give the impression that's what cycling all
    over London could be like? That would be misleading.

    It's only because that is where I cycled today. I specifically said
    that I didn't think that the Mayor was proposing Greenway type routes,
    but the crossings over roads provide clues as to how cyclists could be
    catered for at road junctions.

    However, there are wonderful opportunities for segregated cycling in
    London. Yesterday I followed the Lee Valley cycle route, NCN1, from
    Greenwich to Cheshunt, and barely touched roads.
    www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/greentoches

    In April I plan to lead a party of 12 ten year olds along a similar
    route to stay at the Lee Valley Youth Hostel.

    Quoted message said:

    The vast majority of new paths would have to be far less straight and flat,
    and far more broken up with crossings - unless they were built over or under
    ground.

    Yes. I expect the new paths will follow major arterial roads.

    Quoted message said:

    The Greenway - unique in London - is overground and built on top of a
    massive sewer. How much would it cost to build just *one* more of these -
    even if it was possible at all? I would guess more than £500m.

    Indeed, but it is *possible* to segregate cycle lanes from roads at
    major junctions. I've always enjoyed cycling the Vauxhall Gyratory
    system, but only because it's such a cycling challenge. But with
    proper road design it must surely be able to make it easier for
    cyclists.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree it's a pleasant path to cycle - depite the occasional stink! And
    look out for the old Abbey Mills Pumping station - an extraordinary example
    of Victorian architecture, considering it's what it was built for.

    There's also the unique Three Mills tidal mill.

  3. Tom Crispin said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why mention the Greenway? To give the impression that's what
    cycling all over London could be like? That would be misleading.

    It's only because that is where I cycled today. I specifically said
    that I didn't think that the Mayor was proposing Greenway type routes,
    but the crossings over roads provide clues as to how cyclists could be
    catered for at road junctions.

    They are just pedestrian style crossings. They're fine on The Greenway
    because there are so few of them and the crossing roads are very narrow and
    quiet. On many more typical new cycle paths, though, there would have to be
    more crossings and longer waits. I would find that more of a pain than
    cycling on the roads normally.

    I do agree that cyclists could be helped by really good cycle facilites at
    large major nasty junctions like the Vauxhall gyratory system (and they
    should help encourage more people to take up cycling too) - but this could
    be done without a major network of off/beside-road cycle paths, etc, wich I
    predict would encourage the banning of cycling from nearby roads.

    ~PB

  4. In message <[email hidden]>

    Tom Crispin said:

    I've always enjoyed cycling the Vauxhall Gyratory
    system, but only because it's such a cycling challenge.

    Not the favourite place to be on a windy wet night when you KNOW the
    motorists are blind.

    --
    Charles
    Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
    LCC; CTC.

  5. Pete Biggs said:

    I do agree that cyclists could be helped by really good cycle facilites at
    large major nasty junctions like the Vauxhall gyratory system (and they
    should help encourage more people to take up cycling too) - but this could
    be done without a major network of off/beside-road cycle paths, etc, wich I
    predict would encourage the banning of cycling from nearby roads.

    The only roads with sufficient width to take wide cycle lanes on
    either side are major arterial roads.

    If I had to guess the 12 roads into central London earmarked for wide
    cycle lanes, they would be...

    A13 - Commercial Road
    A11 - Mile End Road
    A10 - Bishopsgate
    A5 - Edgware
    A404 - Harrow Road
    A315 - Kensington Hight Street
    A3217 - Kings' Road
    A3205 - Battersea Park Road
    A3 - Clapham Road
    A215 - Walworth Road
    A2 - Old Kent Road
    A200 - Lower Road

  6. Jim Harvest said:

    Different lane colours, having so many different types of signs and
    lanes etc are unneccesary and likely to lead to chaos and confusion.

    There is a physical aspect of coloured lanes as well. They tend to use
    rougher tarmac that significantly increases tyre rolling resistance. It's
    ironic that what is supposed to help cyclists actually slows us down.

    ~PB

  7. Jim Harvest said:
    x-no-archive:Tom Crispin said:


    This is a good read if you want to know how things may be...
    www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/lcds_chapter2.pdf

    Thank you for the link.

    The complexity of the proposals are quite damning (cf figure 2.3 on page
    19 for anyone who does not wish to read it all).

    Quote 2.7.1 is excellent.

    Cycling is an inherently healthy activity. In overall terms, the
    accident risk of cycling is many times outweighed by the health
    benefits. In this respect, it could be said that the only thing more
    dangerous than cycling is not cycling.

  8. x-no-archive:Pete Biggs said:


    There is a physical aspect of coloured lanes as well. They tend to use
    rougher tarmac that significantly increases tyre rolling resistance. It's
    ironic that what is supposed to help cyclists actually slows us down.

    ~PB

    Yes, and paint marks (such as the pretty painted bicycles in cycle
    lanes) can be slippery too.

  9. x-no-archive:Tom Crispin said:

    Quote 2.7.1 is excellent.

    Cycling is an inherently healthy activity. In overall terms, the
    accident risk of cycling is many times outweighed by the health
    benefits. In this respect, it could be said that the only thing more
    dangerous than cycling is not cycling.

    Yes, I liked that. When I try to make that point to worried parents who
    won't let their (sometimes grown up)children cycle on 'dangerous' (ie
    all)roads, they are of course unable to respond.

    I suspect, but you will know better given your profession, that there is
    an element of selfishness in parents not allowing their children to take
    part in activities incurring minor risks, because they do not want the
    feeling of stress from worrying about them whilst they are participating
    in the activity.

    Do you think that is true?

  10. Jim Harvest said:


    I suspect, but you will know better given your profession, that there is
    an element of selfishness in parents not allowing their children to take
    part in activities incurring minor risks, because they do not want the
    feeling of stress from worrying about them whilst they are participating
    in the activity.

    Do you think that is true?

    I am a parent and I do allow my kids to take risks some people would
    witter at me about, such as nag riding, cycling on roads, using public
    transport, playing out, walking out of my sight, communicating with
    people I've never heard of (ie friends), by email or other electronic media.

    Partly I allow this because I'm to idle to sit and watch them all the
    time, but also because their not daft and have to grow up sometime.

    On a very selfish level there always the feeling that if something
    happened to them while doing any of the above, people would blame me. If
    on the other hand stuck to I keeping them indoors and in properly
    supervised leisure activities so that got fat lazy and repulsive that
    would be society's fault.

    Last Wednesday I was cycling with my daughter to her school, when she
    got forced off the road by a BMW driver in an overtake, "bugger theirs
    something coming", pull in, "what's that noise" then look, sort of
    manoeuvre.

    After my initials reactions of check daughter was OK, reassure her it
    was not her fault and then drag driver out of car and ask her what the
    f*** she was doing, my main anxiety was that everyone would berate me
    for putting her at risk in such a reckless way.

    No one did, everyone was really nice, other parents, the school, the
    police (yes I reported it), my better half (who doesn't cycle), but I
    had a big "waiting for the grown ups to find out" feeling.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk

    --
    Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
    ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------
    Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

  11. Jim Harvest said:

    I suspect, but you will know better given your profession, that there is
    an element of selfishness in parents not allowing their children to take
    part in activities incurring minor risks, because they do not want the
    feeling of stress from worrying about them whilst they are participating
    in the activity.

    Do you think that is true?

    Recently I have come in for some criticism from other training
    providers for allowing children to take too many risks.

    When teaching children to look-position-look-signal-look-manoeuvre
    most Bikeability providers use a closely supervised L shape drill.

    Trainees cycle down a side road, turning left into a major road. They
    then do a supervised U turn, return along the major road turning right
    into the side road.

    Then another drill. Cycling along a side road they turn right onto a
    major road, complete a supervised U turn, then turn left into the side
    road.

    I find this to be unrealistic and let children cycle around a four
    junction circuit, turning left at each junction. I do the same for
    right turns. If I have one other instructor with me it means that two
    junctions are unsupervised. Sometimes I have parent volunteers with
    me, and they will supervise the other junctions. I have been told
    that I am exposing the trainees to unnecessary risk, and they might be
    kidnapped or something.

    What boloney I say. If the purpose of the training is to prepare
    trainees for independent cycling journeys, such as a trip to see
    friends, or the journey to school, it is right to progessively allow
    them more independence with their cycling, and to allow them to make
    decisions without outside influence. Otherwise all they will be doing
    is acting to 'get it right' for the instructor - not for themselves.

    Hell! If children today are anything like I was at that age, as soon
    as they are allowed to cycle to their Saturday morning football match
    with a friend, they'll be breaking all the rules in the book.
    Practising cycling with no hands down the middle of the road; pulling
    wheelies as they ride along; cutting corners at road junctions;
    cycling over mini roundabouts, etc... But I would hope that as soon
    as they hit other traffic they will have the sense and know how to
    behave safely.

  12. x-no-archive:Andy Morris said:

    I am a parent and I do allow my kids to take risks some people would
    witter at me about, such as nag riding, cycling on roads, using public
    transport, playing out, walking out of my sight, communicating with
    people I've never heard of (ie friends), by email or other electronic
    media.

    Partly I allow this because I'm to idle to sit and watch them all the
    time, but also because their not daft and have to grow up sometime.

    On a very selfish level there always the feeling that if something
    happened to them while doing any of the above, people would blame me. If
    on the other hand stuck to I keeping them indoors and in properly
    supervised leisure activities so that got fat lazy and repulsive that
    would be society's fault.

    Last Wednesday I was cycling with my daughter to her school, when she
    got forced off the road by a BMW driver in an overtake, "bugger theirs
    something coming", pull in, "what's that noise" then look, sort of
    manoeuvre.

    After my initials reactions of check daughter was OK, reassure her it
    was not her fault and then drag driver out of car and ask her what the
    f*** she was doing, my main anxiety was that everyone would berate me
    for putting her at risk in such a reckless way.

    No one did, everyone was really nice, other parents, the school, the
    police (yes I reported it), my better half (who doesn't cycle), but I
    had a big "waiting for the grown ups to find out" feeling.

    That is an interesting summary of the conflicting pressures. I'm glad
    your daughter was okay.

  13. x-no-archive:Tom Crispin said:

    Recently I have come in for some criticism from other training
    providers for allowing children to take too many risks.

    When teaching children to look-position-look-signal-look-manoeuvre
    most Bikeability providers use a closely supervised L shape drill.

    Trainees cycle down a side road, turning left into a major road. They
    then do a supervised U turn, return along the major road turning right
    into the side road.

    Then another drill. Cycling along a side road they turn right onto a
    major road, complete a supervised U turn, then turn left into the side
    road.

    I find this to be unrealistic and let children cycle around a four
    junction circuit, turning left at each junction. I do the same for
    right turns. If I have one other instructor with me it means that two
    junctions are unsupervised. Sometimes I have parent volunteers with
    me, and they will supervise the other junctions. I have been told
    that I am exposing the trainees to unnecessary risk, and they might be
    kidnapped or something.

    What boloney I say. If the purpose of the training is to prepare
    trainees for independent cycling journeys, such as a trip to see
    friends, or the journey to school, it is right to progessively allow
    them more independence with their cycling, and to allow them to make
    decisions without outside influence. Otherwise all they will be doing
    is acting to 'get it right' for the instructor - not for themselves.

    Everything you say makes sense. It would have been so helpful if someone
    had taught to me to turn right (properly) and ride around roundabouts
    when I started cycling on the road (at 5 or 6) or in subsequent years.
    In fact, it took me until I was motorcycling in my 20s before I figured
    it out for myself.

  14. Tom Crispin said:

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:16:03 -0000, "Pete Biggs"

    Quoted message said:

    I do agree that cyclists could be helped by really good cycle facilites at
    large major nasty junctions like the Vauxhall gyratory system (and they
    should help encourage more people to take up cycling too) - but this could
    be done without a major network of off/beside-road cycle paths, etc, wich I
    predict would encourage the banning of cycling from nearby roads.

    The only roads with sufficient width to take wide cycle lanes on
    either side are major arterial roads.

    If I had to guess the 12 roads into central London earmarked for wide
    cycle lanes, they would be...

    A13 - Commercial Road
    A11 - Mile End Road
    A10 - Bishopsgate
    A5 - Edgware
    A404 - Harrow Road
    A315 - Kensington Hight Street
    A3217 - Kings' Road
    A3205 - Battersea Park Road
    A3 - Clapham Road
    A215 - Walworth Road
    A2 - Old Kent Road
    A200 - Lower Road

    If the A5 can have a (bus width) cycle lane and the road surface can
    be improved to the point where it's safe to do more than 15mph and
    vans/lorries/cars etc can be prevented from parking(unloading) in it
    between 6am and 8pm then I might start using it to cycle to work. I
    have cycled the A5 from the A41 down to the Euston Road (or whatever
    it's called at that point - Marylebone Road?) exactly once. I was on
    the Windcheetah, which makes it harder to avoid the potholes, and I
    ended up with bruises all down my back because of the appalling
    surface

    The A41 has an ideal surface for me to commute to work. It's also
    (almost) door to door. Unfortuately the speed of traffic and number of
    high speed junctions means that I won't consider using it except on
    Sundays (and I don't go to work very often on Sundays)

    Given that the A41 has a purpose build road to take motor traffic
    travelling almost the length of my commute we don't need a purpose
    build cycle lane to get the cyclists off the road. We need a 30mph
    speed limit along the length (from J5 to J2 of the M1 at least) that
    is rigourously enforced to encourage the cars to use the M1 instead.

    Tim.

  15. On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:37:22 +0000 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I've just completed a 23 mile mostly traffic free circuit around
    London's East End.

    That is impossible, because you were part of the traffic.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  16. In message <[email hidden]>

    Jim Harvest said:

    x-no-archive:Tom Crispin wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What boloney I say. If the purpose of the training is to prepare
    trainees for independent cycling journeys, such as a trip to see
    friends, or the journey to school, it is right to progessively allow
    them more independence with their cycling, and to allow them to make
    decisions without outside influence. Otherwise all they will be doing
    is acting to 'get it right' for the instructor - not for themselves.

    Everything you say makes sense. It would have been so helpful if someone
    had taught to me to turn right (properly) and ride around roundabouts
    when I started cycling on the road (at 5 or 6) or in subsequent years.
    In fact, it took me until I was motorcycling in my 20s before I figured
    it out for myself.

    I agree. It is only a few years ago that I learnt to block motorised
    traffic[1],
    and have the confidence to do it, when negotiating many roads and juctions.
    I now cringe when I see other cyclists cycling along the white lines
    between two lanes, and remember that I sometimes used to do the same thing.
    Reading this group has taught me a lot about cycling safely.

    [1] When I need to of course, I am not some kind of one man critical mass.

  17. On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:51:57 +0000, Jim Harvest
    <[email hidden]> said in
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Unwanted by whom?


    By me and others who are concerned about maintaining our right of way on
    the roads and are concerned that the money could be spent better elsewhere.

    Well, yes, but on the other hand a lot of people who are
    non-cyclists, occasional cyclists or lapsed cyclists have said many
    times that this is what they want.

    So obviously we have to allow that maybe there is no one value of
    "right" here; indeed, if there were a continuous route of the
    quality seen in some German cities and running from the City to
    Canary Wharf, I would be one of those riding along it. The
    alternatives now are unattractive.

    I agree that we need to be wary of feeding the motorist view that
    bikes have no right to be on the roads. I also know (because I
    know the people involved) that CTC will be hammering that very same
    point.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  18. email hidden said:
    Tom Crispin said:

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:16:03 -0000, "Pete Biggs"

    Quoted message said:

    I do agree that cyclists could be helped by really good cycle facilites at
    large major nasty junctions like the Vauxhall gyratory system (and they
    should help encourage more people to take up cycling too) - but this could
    be done without a major network of off/beside-road cycle paths, etc, wich I
    predict would encourage the banning of cycling from nearby roads.

    The only roads with sufficient width to take wide cycle lanes on
    either side are major arterial roads.

    If I had to guess the 12 roads into central London earmarked for wide
    cycle lanes, they would be...

    A13 - Commercial Road
    A11 - Mile End Road
    A10 - Bishopsgate
    A5 - Edgware
    A404 - Harrow Road
    A315 - Kensington Hight Street
    A3217 - Kings' Road
    A3205 - Battersea Park Road
    A3 - Clapham Road
    A215 - Walworth Road
    A2 - Old Kent Road
    A200 - Lower Road

    If the A5 can have a (bus width) cycle lane and the road surface can
    be improved to the point where it's safe to do more than 15mph and
    vans/lorries/cars etc can be prevented from parking(unloading) in it
    between 6am and 8pm then I might start using it to cycle to work. I
    have cycled the A5 from the A41 down to the Euston Road (or whatever
    it's called at that point - Marylebone Road?) exactly once. I was on
    the Windcheetah, which makes it harder to avoid the potholes, and I
    ended up with bruises all down my back because of the appalling
    surface

    The A41 has an ideal surface for me to commute to work. It's also
    (almost) door to door. Unfortuately the speed of traffic and number of
    high speed junctions means that I won't consider using it except on
    Sundays (and I don't go to work very often on Sundays)

    Given that the A41 has a purpose build road to take motor traffic
    travelling almost the length of my commute we don't need a purpose
    build cycle lane to get the cyclists off the road. We need a 30mph
    speed limit along the length (from J5 to J2 of the M1 at least) that
    is rigourously enforced to encourage the cars to use the M1 instead.

    I think that part of the proposal is to limit the motor traffic on
    these roads to 20mph, but I don't suppose that will apply to main
    roads well outside the centre of London.

  19. David Hansen said:

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:37:22 +0000 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I've just completed a 23 mile mostly traffic free circuit around
    London's East End.

    That is impossible, because you were part of the traffic.

    You are, of course, correct. The route was mostly *motor* traffic
    free.

  20. [from The Greenway in east London]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    look out for the old Abbey Mills Pumping station

    I've posted a photo of this if anyone's interested to see it:

    ww.pbase.com/iceblinker/image/92827741

    Tom Crispin said:

    There's also the unique Three Mills tidal mill.

    I will look out for that, thanks.

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.