General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The Halloween Racket

Started by Cindi - HappyMamatoThree · · Last activity · 96 posts · 1,353 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 October 2007
Last activity
3 November 2007
Original author
Cindi - HappyMamatoThree
Posts
96
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,353
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 96
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sheldon said:
    Bobo Bonobo? said:

    On Oct 31, 7:46 pm, Sheldon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Oct 31, 7:53?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > "Ms P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > "Mark Thorson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email hidden]...
    > >> Quoting from an e-mail received today:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >> "Kids are literally shuttled and bussed into my neighborhood, known
    > >> to have good pickings. Juvenile population temporarily increases
    > >> twentyfold. (I bet there are maps or Web sites that direct people to
    > >> such neighborhoods.)"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > There's a neighborhood like that here. Last year that neighborhood closed
    > > their streets to cars. If you wanted to trick or treat there you had to
    > > walk in. I know a few people that live in that neighborhood and they have
    > > all told me they buy the cheapest candy you can get and each kid gets 1
    > > piece. Yeah, it's worth the drive and the hassle for a bag full of
    > > Smarties and jawbreakers.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Ms P

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Check the parents who do that. For the most part, they're fat pigs who'll be
    > stealing the candy when their little rats go to sleep.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Think about what you just said... do you really think the junk-food-a-
    holics are going to exert themselves humping their excavator butts
    house to house for tiny packets of candy corn and red hots when they
    can be lazing at home in front of the tube scoffing down forklift
    loads of brownies and cookie dough ice cream. The only parents I see
    hustling around with their kids are built like super fit marathon
    jocks. This year I'm handing out mini almond joy and reese's cups...
    I somehow get the feeling they wished I was handing out raw carrots
    and celery stalks instead.

    Quoted message said:

    Reese's PB Cups are my 5 YO's favorite.
    I felt that way too when I was a kid, and I also loved Almond Joys.

    Quoted message said:

    The absolute worst was these horrible things called Circus Peanuts.

    Where would one even find Circus Peanuts these days, let alone
    indidually wrapped to give out as Halloween candy... they're peanut
    shaped marshmallow candy, very similar to Peeps. If soneone doesn't
    like marshmallow it's understandable that they'd not like Circus
    Peanuts, but I like marshmallow so I think they are very good when
    fresh... but then again I'm an olde fashioned penny candy
    conffectionado.

    They are marshmallow, but with a characteristic flavor. Nothing else
    is like a Circus Peanut. My wife hated them too, but she gave all of
    hers to her mother, who liked them.

    Quoted message said:


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_Peanuts

    Sheldon

    --Bryan

  2. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Where would one even find Circus Peanuts these days, let alone
    indidually wrapped to give out as Halloween candy... they're peanut
    shaped marshmallow candy, very similar to Peeps.

    They don't remind me of peeps at all, but circus peanuts are the
    most disgusting halloween candy along with those little wax candle
    corn things. Ack.

    nancy

  3. "Michael "Dog3"" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "MareCat" <[email hidden]> dropped this
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    I took my almost-5-year-old daughter out, and we walked around the
    neighborhood. We saw only a few other groups of trick-or-treaters out
    and about. She had fun, though, and made out like a bandit with the
    candy.

    Mary

    I'll bet she looked cute 😉

    She did (I'm not biased or anything, though 😉. Cutest ladybug in town
    (excluding her baby sisters, who were also ladybugs--we dressed them up for
    the parade at her school).

    Quoted message said:

    Of course she made out like a bandit. I just
    throw handfuls of candy into the kids bags every year.

    She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so it will last quite awhile (she
    never finished the candy she got last Halloween). She might eat 1-2 pieces
    per day, if that (last year she lost all interest in it after Nov. 2 or so).

    Mary

  4. "Virginia Tadrzynski" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Youngest is now 12, so when it rained on the appointed night (last Friday)
    I said no go. What the local townships do around here is assign trick or
    treat nights and hours so you can shuttle the kids from area to area to
    make the biggest haul. I have always had a problem with that, as
    Halloween is the 31st of October, not some convenient night for greedy
    beggers.

    In my hometown (also in PA), trick-or-treat night (as well as the town
    Halloween parade) is always held the Saturday before Halloween.
    (Trick-or-treating is supposed to last only until 8:00 p.m. that night.) In
    all of the surrounding towns (as well as every other place I've ever lived),
    trick-or-treating is done on Halloween.

    Mary

  5. Michael "Dog3" said...

    Quoted message said:

    Hmmmm... I've never had a refusal. I think that might tick me off.

    Michael

    One Halloween I handed out bags of m&ms and had to ask the kids if they had
    peanut allergies. I never handed out peanut candy again.

    Andy

  6. Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    I'll bet she looked cute 😉 Of course she made out like a bandit. I just
    throw handfuls of candy into the kids bags every year.

    I used to be prepared to throw handfuls of candy at the kids..... if they
    came. We haven't had any come around for years, which is strange because
    there are more kids living nearby than when my son used to go out with his
    friends. So this year I didn't bother to get anything. The last thing I
    need to be doing is eating left over candy.

  7. Bobo Bonobo® said:

    In the USA, we have a fine tradition called "egging." Folks who give
    out [censored] like that find themselves scraping egg off of their houses.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    --Bryan

    I'm american and definitely familiar..lol.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  8. Bobo Bonobo® said:


    They are marshmallow, but with a characteristic flavor. Nothing else
    is like a Circus Peanut. My wife hated them too, but she gave all of
    hers to her mother, who liked them.

    They are a slightly different consistency from peeps marshmallows. More
    dense. And ORANGE. <shudders> You're right, nothing like it. Makes
    them easier to avoid.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  9. Nancy Young said:

    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Where would one even find Circus Peanuts these days, let alone
    indidually wrapped to give out as Halloween candy... they're peanut
    shaped marshmallow candy, very similar to Peeps.

    They don't remind me of peeps at all, but circus peanuts are the
    most disgusting halloween candy along with those little wax candle
    corn things. Ack.

    nancy

    We only got one pack of those thank god. My daughter tried to palm them
    off on me. No thank you.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  10. Nexis said:

    holiday. I did have fun going downtown with my husband tonight for a walk and seeing
    all the odd costumes. My personal favorite: A gal was wearing a prom dress and crown
    and had "blood" spilled all down her hair and face and dress....any guesses?

    Sounds like "Carrie."

    Bill Ranck
    Blacksburg, Va.

  11. JoeSpareBedroom said:

    "Puester" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Paul M. Cook wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anytime I hear somebody chiding other countries for their "weird"
    customs,
    first up on my list is Halloween. Then comes Easter and Christmas.
    Nothing
    unusual about dressing up like a rabbit and handing out colored eggs or
    sticking a pine tree in your living room.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Paul

    Quoted message said:

    For a hilarious experience, read David Sedaris's essay about taking a
    French class in France and the discussion in class about Easter customs.
    I don't think I have ever read anything so funny.

    Quoted message said:

    gloria p

    For some reason, this made me think of a song from a Cheech & Chong movie,
    about Mexican-Americans, who "go to night school for Spanish, and get a B".

    There's nothing strange about that, a goodly portion of English
    speaking posters here would fail English.

  12. "ravenlynne" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Loved the almond joy, mounds, and reeses. 3 musketeers go straight to the
    fridge.

    A favorite memory: frozen milky ways at the quarry where we used to go
    swimming in Maryland. (It was one of those mom and pop summer
    operations.) Mmm, mmm.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  13. "ravenlynne" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bobo Bonobo® said:


    They are marshmallow, but with a characteristic flavor. Nothing else
    is like a Circus Peanut. My wife hated them too, but she gave all of
    hers to her mother, who liked them.

    They are a slightly different consistency from peeps marshmallows. More
    dense. And ORANGE. <shudders> You're right, nothing like it. Makes them
    easier to avoid.

    I hate marshmallows. Maybe that's why I don't like them. And maybe the
    ones I got were always stale. I've seen them recently at Big Lots. I don't
    know why, but they are considered a summer candy and perhaps only available
    in the summer months.

  14. Melba's Jammin said:

    Uh, do you keep track of the count from year to year? If you had 12
    this year, you probably shouldn't plan for 50 next year unless, of
    course, you WANT TO! LOL!

    It's highly variable. I had a lot last year, so with nice weather and
    still DST, I figured on many more. I had three in one group.

    Brian

  15. Dave Smith <[email hidden]> dropped this
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    I'll bet she looked cute 😉 Of course she made out like a bandit. I
    just throw handfuls of candy into the kids bags every year.

    I used to be prepared to throw handfuls of candy at the kids..... if
    they came. We haven't had any come around for years, which is strange
    because there are more kids living nearby than when my son used to go
    out with his friends. So this year I didn't bother to get anything.
    The last thing I need to be doing is eating left over candy.

    <Groan> and you know you will eat it. I know I will. I think that is why I
    always buy stuff that I'll like in chase it is left over 😉

    Michael

    --
    Last words spoken before execution . . .

    "Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel."
    Executed in electric chair in New York.
    ~~ George Appel, d. 1928

    Send email to: michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  16. ravenlynne said:
    Bobo Bonobo® said:

    They are marshmallow, but with a characteristic flavor. Nothing else
    is like a Circus Peanut. My wife hated them too, but she gave all of
    hers to her mother, who liked them.

    They are a slightly different consistency from peeps marshmallows. More
    dense. And ORANGE. <shudders> You're right, nothing like it. Makes
    them easier to avoid.

    But even the "orange" is unique. It is a color all its own. If I saw
    that color, I'd probably instantly feel revulsion, only a bit later
    realizing why.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    -Gina in Italy

    --Bryan

  17. Puester said:


    For a hilarious experience, read David Sedaris's essay about taking a
    French class in France and the discussion in class about Easter customs.
    I don't think I have ever read anything so funny.

    You shoulda posted a link! Sheesh!

    http://quandmeme.net/blog/000019.html

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lou Decruss said:
    Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    "MareCat" <[email hidden]> dropped this
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:


    I took my almost-5-year-old daughter out, and we walked around the
    neighborhood. We saw only a few other groups of trick-or-treaters out
    and about. She had fun, though, and made out like a bandit with the
    candy.

    Mary

    I'll bet she looked cute 😉 Of course she made out like a bandit. I just
    throw handfuls of candy into the kids bags every year.

    I've seen them want to see what I was tossing in there. If it's
    something they don't like they will decline as they don't want to
    carry around something they won't eat.

    I don't plan on handing candy out ever again.

    Bad parenting. They should say, "Thank you". That's why they have
    friends, so they can trade candy the next day.

  19. Michael \'Dog3\ said:

    Whatever shall I do with all the Snickers bars left over

    I hear you can deep fry them....
    😉

    --
    See return address to reply by email
    remove the smiley face first

  20. Lou Decruss said:

    I've seen them want to see what I was tossing in there. If it's
    something they don't like they will decline as they don't want to
    carry around something they won't eat.

    I don't plan on handing candy out ever again.

    Back when my kids were trick r treating age, we were thankful they
    went trick r treating because we had hoards of kids. One year I
    bought 6 bags of candy and my kids (plus assorted cousins) came in as
    I ran out, so I had them cull their bags of the candy they didn't want
    to put into my candy dish. The night went on, but I turned out the
    lights when the trick r treaters turned into mobs of Jr. Hi and High
    Schoolers who couldn't bother wearing costumes.

    Last night was odd. No hoards of teenagers minus costumes as in most
    years. It was mainly adorable little ones and completely polite older
    ones in costume. Some of the little ones were with teenaged girls who
    I'd be willing to bet money were their mothers (no costume on the big
    ones, adorable costumes on the little ones).... who were also trick r
    treating... with pillow case sized bags! I think that's really tacky.
    Stand back and take pictures, dumbkoff. Don't try to be a kid again.

    --
    See return address to reply by email
    remove the smiley face first

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.