The history of the bicycle in California

Slacker

Guest
Man, that was so cool... don't know how many of you watch
Huell Howser, but tonight's show was great. It was all about
the history of the bike in CA, namely Pasadena.

There's a ton of stuff I never knew:

Back in the late 1800's/early 1900's there were so many
different bike designs that we had two patent offices. One
just for bikes, and other the office for all other stuff.

Pasadena was the mecca of all things bike. There was
actually 15 bike shops in the city at one point. You may not
thing that's much, but the population was 9,100 at the time.

One guy even proposed and started building a dedicated,
elevated, wooden cycle path connecting Pasadena with
downtown Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the railroad shut it
down. Too bad, it might still be standing today.

Much more info at http://www.pasadenahistory.org/ which is
currently having an exhibition called Wheels Of Change. If
you're in or visiting the area it looks like a fun
exhibition.

--
Slacker

> Man, that was so cool... don't know how many of you watch
> Huell Howser, but tonight's show was great. It was all
> about the history of the bike in CA, namely Pasadena.
>
> There's a ton of stuff I never knew:
>
> Back in the late 1800's/early 1900's there were so many
> different bike designs that we had two patent offices. One
> just for bikes, and other the office for all other stuff.
>
> Pasadena was the mecca of all things bike. There was
> actually 15 bike shops in the city at one point. You may
> not thing that's much, but the population was 9,100 at
> the time.
>
> One guy even proposed and started building a dedicated,
> elevated, wooden cycle path connecting Pasadena with
> downtown Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the railroad shut it
> down. Too bad, it might still be standing today.
>

> Much more info at http://www.pasadenahistory.org/ which is
> currently having an exhibition called Wheels Of Change. If
> you're in or visiting the area it looks like a fun
> exhibition.
>
> --
> Slacker

He has some interesting stuff on that show from time to
time.

about two years ago I was surfing and went on past his show.
Then, I went back because I recognized something on it.
Turns out, he was doing that episode on the Carrizo Gorge RR
which I had ridden with Miles about 2 months prior. Pretty
cool seeing the sights and learning additional information
about the area.

Michael

> Man, that was so cool... don't know how many of you watch
> Huell Howser, but tonight's show was great. It was all
> about the history of the bike in CA, namely Pasadena.

> Slacker

You in SoCal Slacker? You ever ride the Claremont
Wilderness Park?

Ozman Trad wrote:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2ia8b9Fl7uikU1@uni-
> berlin.de...
>
>>Man, that was so cool... don't know how many of you watch
>>Huell Howser, but tonight's show was great. It was all
>>about the history of the bike in CA, namely Pasadena.
>

>>Slacker
>

> You in SoCal Slacker?

Yeah.

You ever ride the Claremont Wilderness Park?

No. To be honest, I've never heard of the park. What are
some trail names in there?

--
Slacker

> You ever ride the Claremont Wilderness Park?
> >

> No. To be honest, I've never heard of the park. What are
> some trail names in there?

Potato Mt, Burbank and Cobal canyon loop, Marshall Canyon,
Webb Canyon. These are my backyard rides

Ozman Trad wrote:

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2ian5gFk332fU1@uni-
> berlin.de...
>

>>You ever ride the Claremont Wilderness Park?
>>

>>No. To be honest, I've never heard of the park. What are
>>some trail names in there?
>

> Potato Mt, Burbank and Cobal canyon loop, Marshall Canyon,
> Webb Canyon. These are my backyard rides

Dang... looks like I got a little homework to do.

--
Slacker

> Ozman Trad wrote:
>
> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
> >>You ever ride the Claremont Wilderness Park?
> >>
> >>No. To be honest, I've never heard of the park. What are
> >>some trail names in there?
>>>
> > Potato Mt, Burbank and Cobal canyon loop, Marshall
> > Canyon, Webb Canyon. These are my backyard rides
> >

> Dang... looks like I got a little homework to do.

Potato Mt's an honest 4 mile climb. Fireroad that starts at
1100 feet at the trailhead and ends at 3600 feet at the
summit. What are your local rides? Weir? Fullerton loop?
Angeles Crest? Back of JPL? Snow Summit (left 3 teeth and
some skin there)? Those are the only other places in SoCal
where I've ridden.

Ozman Trad wrote:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2id3f2Flsid8U2@uni-
> berlin.de...
>
>>Ozman Trad wrote:

>>>Potato Mt, Burbank and Cobal canyon loop, Marshall
>>>Canyon, Webb Canyon. These are my backyard rides
>>>

>>Dang... looks like I got a little homework to do.
>

> Potato Mt's an honest 4 mile climb. Fireroad that starts
> at 1100 feet at the trailhead and ends at 3600 feet at the
> summit. What are your local rides? Weir? Fullerton loop?
> Angeles Crest? Back of JPL? Snow Summit (left 3 teeth and
> some skin there)? Those are the only other places in SoCal
> where I've ridden.

My local-local ride is
<http://www.mybikesite.com/socal/trails/delcerro.htm>
<http://www.palosverdes.com/rpv/recreationparks/DelCerr-
o/index.cfm>

But I spend most of my time at Whiting, San Juan, Crystal
Cove (occasionally) and during the summer, Snow Summit. Oh
yeah, and I just did Mt. Wilson the other month... I need to
go back, badly. The lower half of the mtn was super fun, but
we screwed up taking a fire road on the upper half.

What happened to you at Snow Summit? I nearly broke my neck
there a couple years ago. The place is extremely fun, but
can also be very dangerous if you're not familiar with the
way they build their trails.

--
Slacker

> > Snow Summit (left 3 teeth and some skin there)? Those
> > are the only other places in SoCal where
I've
> > ridden.
> >
> What happened to you at Snow Summit? I nearly broke my
> neck there a couple years ago. The place is extremely fun,
> but can also be very dangerous if you're not familiar with
> the way they build their trails.

My GF's friend's hubby (a newbie who started MTBing to
reduce his HBP and 300+ cholesterol level) crossed my line
at 25 mph down a steeper section of the fireroad. His back
tire hit my front causing me to be projected face first
into terra-very-firma. I actually broke my handlebar in two
falling on it (try that sometime). When I picked myself up
I remember thinking 'woah, some rocks got in my mouth' and
didn't realize they were teeth until I spat them out. We
just had ridden 17 miles (we were lost, apparantly missing
a small sign at the top for the return loop) and I had to
ride back from Arrowbear IIRC 7 more miles to the SS
parking lot with half my face gone, two badly scapped
shoulders, forearms, knees, and half a handlebar. $4000 and
many, many visits in Dr. Cox's dental chair my smiling face
has returned.

Ozman Trad wrote:

>> "Slacker"
>>
>>What happened to you at Snow Summit? I nearly broke my
>>neck there a couple years ago. The place is extremely fun,
>>but can also be very dangerous if you're not familiar with
>>the way they build their trails.
>

> My GF's friend's hubby (a newbie who started MTBing to
> reduce his HBP and 300+ cholesterol level) crossed my line
> at 25 mph down a steeper section of the fireroad. His back
> tire hit my front causing me to be projected face first
> into terra-very-firma. I actually broke my handlebar in
> two falling on it (try that sometime). When I picked
> myself up I remember thinking 'woah, some rocks got in my
> mouth' and didn't realize they were teeth until I spat
> them out. We just had ridden 17 miles (we were lost,
> apparantly missing a small sign at the top for the return
> loop) and I had to ride back from Arrowbear IIRC 7 more
> miles to the SS parking lot with half my face gone, two
> badly scapped shoulders, forearms, knees, and half a
> handlebar. $4000 and many, many visits in Dr. Cox's dental
> chair my smiling face has returned.

Brutal. Happy to hear you came out of the accident alright.
I often over-look the danger other riders pose.

One morning I was riding the DH trails at Snow Summit. Just
blissfully enjoying myself... going about 40mph. I look up
and there's some Lycra clad nut climbing up of of the DH
race courses, and was starting to cross my line and wouldn't
stop. I couldn't believe my eyes... never seen anything like
that before or since. I wanted to beat him within an inch of
his life, and I'm not a violent person. I slowed down to
avoid him and subsequently ended up going over the bars
because I entered the next section way to slow.

--
Slacker

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:25:11 -0700, Slacker <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Man, that was so cool... don't know how many of you watch
>Huell Howser, but tonight's show was great. It was all
>about the history of the bike in CA, namely Pasadena.
>
>There's a ton of stuff I never knew:
>
>Back in the late 1800's/early 1900's there were so many
>different bike designs that we had two patent offices. One
>just for bikes, and other the office for all other stuff.
>
>Pasadena was the mecca of all things bike. There was
>actually 15 bike shops in the city at one point. You may
>not thing that's much, but the population was 9,100 at
>the time.
>
>One guy even proposed and started building a dedicated,
>elevated, wooden cycle path connecting Pasadena with
>downtown Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the railroad shut it
>down. Too bad, it might still be standing today.
>

>Much more info at http://www.pasadenahistory.org/ which is
>currently having an exhibition called Wheels Of Change. If
>you're in or visiting the area it looks like a fun
>exhibition.

Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2iedqeFl55uoU1@uni-

> One morning I was riding the DH trails at Snow Summit.
> Just blissfully enjoying myself... going about 40mph. I
> look up and there's some Lycra clad nut climbing up of of
> the DH race courses, and was starting to cross my line
> and wouldn't stop. I couldn't believe my eyes... never
> seen anything like that before or since. I wanted to beat
> him within an inch of his life, and I'm not a violent
> person. I slowed down to avoid him and subsequently ended
> up going over the bars because I entered the next section
> way to slow.

you a DH'er then? My crash made me think about getting a full-
faced MTb bucket but I still havent as yet. Now that I think
about it again I probably will. I am XC'er and would prolly
look like a big kook with a FF bucket on the fireroads.

Ozman Trad wrote:

> you a DH'er then?

Yeah... well I try. Actually, I do both xc & dh. There's a
great saying I read on this one dudes website, "I love xc,
but I need to dh." That pretty much sums it up.

> My crash made me think about getting a full-faced MTb
> bucket but I still havent as yet. Now that I think about
> it again I probably will. I am XC'er and would prolly look
> like a big kook with a FF bucket on the fireroads.

Don't worry about what people will think. If you need or
want it, then get it. I've been thinking about the same
thing, but all FF's I seen are just too hot on the climbs,
at least for where we live. But then again, I usually take
my helmet off for any long climbs.

--
Slacker