The Hoodia Scam

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Guy Matthew, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Guy Matthew

    Guy Matthew Guest

    First off, I am not someone who needs to loose a lot of weight. I stumbled
    upon your forums while looking for ways to just loose 20 pounds on my gut
    before summer.

    So forgive me for barging in:)

    However, I've been reading about Hoodia for some time now, because I'm
    researching it as part of a 'scammer' marketing paper.

    Even though some of you have pointed this out in a few posts, I've noticed
    that it seems to go unnoticed. HOODIA is NOT on the MARKET!!! Whatever
    they are selling all over the place...internet, TV, Radio...etc... IS NOT
    THE REAL THING!

    It will not be available in pill, or any other form for years, if at all.
    Testing is still ongoing, and hasn't reached the marketting stage yet.

    So Please! I know it must be frustrating to want to believe something so bad
    that you'll almost pay anything for a "miracle" but try and refrain from
    sending these scumbags any more of your hard earned cash.

    If you are taking a pill that you thought was "hoodia cactus" stop. You have
    no idea what is in it. It could be sawdust for all you know. Or worse.

    Tags:

  2. Harold Groot

    Harold Groot Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:51:36 GMT, "Guy Matthew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First off, I am not someone who needs to loose a lot of weight. I stumbled
    >upon your forums while looking for ways to just loose 20 pounds on my gut
    >before summer.
    >
    >So forgive me for barging in:)
    >
    >However, I've been reading about Hoodia for some time now, because I'm
    >researching it as part of a 'scammer' marketing paper.
    >
    >Even though some of you have pointed this out in a few posts, I've noticed
    >that it seems to go unnoticed. HOODIA is NOT on the MARKET!!! Whatever
    >they are selling all over the place...internet, TV, Radio...etc... IS NOT
    >THE REAL THING!
    >
    >It will not be available in pill, or any other form for years, if at all.
    >Testing is still ongoing, and hasn't reached the marketting stage yet.
    >
    >So Please! I know it must be frustrating to want to believe something so bad
    >that you'll almost pay anything for a "miracle" but try and refrain from
    >sending these scumbags any more of your hard earned cash.
    >
    >If you are taking a pill that you thought was "hoodia cactus" stop. You have
    >no idea what is in it. It could be sawdust for all you know. Or worse.

    I haven't been buying (or taking) any, but I've certainly seen the
    advertisements. As far as I know it's a plant. What's to keep
    someone from harvesting it and selling it? Is it that scarce? Have
    you identified that they are selling some particular other product in
    its place? In short, what is the =basis= for your claim that the item
    being sold is "not the real thing"?

    When selling agricultural products or food supplements there is very
    little in the way of regulations on whatever concentration of some
    supposed active ingredient might be, but there =are= some regulations
    from a "truth in advertising" point of view about what the product
    actually =is=. If you advertise it as a banana when it's really an
    apple, you get in trouble without anyone worrying about the potassium
    content.

    Now, it may be that only a =specific variety= of Hoodia is supposed to
    have those miracle properties and that they are selling a much more
    common (and non-miracle) variety. That wouldn't run afoul of "truth
    in advertising laws" as long as they weren't making the miracle
    claims. It's up to the buyer in a situation like that to know what
    product they want to buy. But selling sawdust (or anything else that
    isn't really some sort of Hoodia), that gets them in legal hot water.

  3. DB

    DB Guest

    "Guy Matthew" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > If you are taking a pill that you thought was "hoodia cactus" stop. You
    > have
    > no idea what is in it. It could be sawdust for all you know. Or worse.

    All diet gimmicks is Snake Oil!

  4. DB wrote:
    > "Guy Matthew" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >
    > > If you are taking a pill that you thought was "hoodia cactus" stop. You
    > > have
    > > no idea what is in it. It could be sawdust for all you know. Or worse.

    > All diet gimmicks is Snake Oil!

    I don't know if Guy is correct that all Hoodia being sold is fake. I
    do know that a few years ago 60 Minutes did a story about it. The
    plant grows in a very specific desert area of Africa which is under the
    control of bushmen that have been using it for centuries to reduce
    hunger. As I recall from the show, a major US drug company had
    reached an agreement with the bushmen to lock up the supply for the
    company to research and eventually turn into a commercial drug. So
    apparently they believed there was some merit in it and that it was not
    easy to just grow it somewhere else.

    So, unlike most weight loss wonders, there is basis to believe this
    stuff actually works. Now what companies are actually selling is an
    interesting question. I've seen US websites and companies that clearly
    claim what they are selling is from the real Hoodia grown by the
    bushmen. If that's a lie, then they are open to fraud charges.

    I too would be interested in what basis Guy has for his claim that all
    what's being sold is fake.

  5. >
    >I too would be interested in what basis Guy has for his claim that all
    >what's being sold is fake.

    It would be a bit boring reading to paste my work here...even when its done,
    since it involves a whole lot of "psycho babble" regarding other diet scams.

    However, you can take a look at PHYTOPHARM's own website and get it from the
    horses mouth.

    Keep in mind that this is a very hard plant to grow, very expensive, and
    minimal amounts are able to be extracted and isolated per plant. Thus tons of
    plants are required for relitively small amounts of product.

    Synthetic product has proven to be out of reach.

    Also, this plant grows sparsely in one area of Africa, so it is being grown
    exclusively under license with Phytopharm on experimental plantations.

    Here is an excerpt from their currently updated Trials Info:

    "The CSIR has submitted patents in territories all over the world relating to
    Hoodia gordonii. Phytopharm has an exclusive licence for these patents."

    "The necessary clinical trials and other studies to ensure the safety of the
    extract will take a few years before a product will be available."

  6. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    And THAT'S where the spam comes in. Slick, but transparent. Buh-bye
    now Guy!

  7. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On 2 Apr 2006 00:00:00 -0800, "gweebles" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    |And THAT'S where the spam comes in. Slick, but transparent. Buh-bye
    |now Guy!

    It was obvious from the start. Posted from the WeightAdvisor forum.
    Classic. My guess was that his hand puppet was going to come along and
    say that ne, hew as wrong, there is in fact a website that sells the
    real Hoodia at a reasonable price, yada yada yada

  8. gweebles wrote:
    >And THAT'S where the spam comes in. Slick, but transparent. Buh-bye
    >now Guy!

    what the hell is WRONG with you people! I try and post something factual
    that might actually help someone from wasting their money, and you start this
    crap?

    What the hell have I tried to sell?!

    Man! what a couple of idiots.

  9. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    I cannot believe I am actually wasting my time responding, but GUY,
    please don't underestimate our intelligence. You do a search on your
    precious phytopharm site and it is all about buying THEIR brand of
    Hoodia. In other words, you are a spammer and all of us know that
    Hoodia needs to be taken in large quantities to work, if it works at
    all. So like the rest of the idiots coming here trying to look
    innocent but being a shill for their site that they get paid for "hits"
    or sales, we know better. Again Buh-bye!!!

  10. gweebles wrote:
    > I cannot believe I am actually wasting my time responding, but GUY,
    > please don't underestimate our intelligence. You do a search on your
    > precious phytopharm site and it is all about buying THEIR brand of
    > Hoodia. In other words, you are a spammer and all of us know that
    > Hoodia needs to be taken in large quantities to work, if it works at
    > all. So like the rest of the idiots coming here trying to look
    > innocent but being a shill for their site that they get paid for "hits"
    > or sales, we know better. Again Buh-bye!!!

    In all fairness to Guy, what the hell are you talking about?
    Phytopharm is not selling any Hoodia products to consumers.
    Phytopharm is a legitimate pharmaceutical research company, with
    partnerships with giants like Unilever and Pfizer, not some scam
    internet sales company. As I understand it, they had a partnership
    with Pfizer to develop a drug for weight control based on Hoodia. When
    it became obvious that the chemical compount could not be easily
    synthesized, Pfizer lost interest in it. Phytopharm is apparently
    continuing on, with the intent of making it into a legitimate
    commercial product at some point in the future. In other words, they
    have nothing to sell to any consumers.

  11. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    You seem to know a LOT about
    phytopharm.................................hmmmmmmmmm is your name Guy
    too?

  12. gweebles wrote:
    > You seem to know a LOT about
    > phytopharm.................................hmmmmmmmmm is your name Guy
    > too?

    No, I just take a few minutes to figure out what's going on instead of
    making an ass of myself.

  13. gweebles wrote:
    >You seem to know a LOT about
    >phytopharm.................................hmmmmmmmmm is your name Guy
    >too?

    Well, I just got home and checked here out of curiosity. I can't believe I
    started this thread at all, and regret it completely.
    I'm not into "yelling" on line, but essentially you've called me a lier and I
    had to post that response calling you idiots. I really can't understand how
    that happened, but oh well....

    Anyway, I have better things I should be doing, but I'll just state that I
    used my real name, (first and middle) as opposed some weird "handle", and am
    a graduate student of Psychology at Clark University in Worcester,
    Massachusetts.

    The reason I stopped by here, as stated in my initial post was to warn
    possibly gullible folks about a wide spread scam that I became aware of while
    researching weight loss and related psychological problems associated with
    obesity. I had no intention of getting into arguments.

    As the above poster stated, I only brought up that website so that you could
    see for yourselves that there are NO products with this ingredient yet on the
    open market.

    So, bye, bye yourself

  14. Jbuch

    Jbuch Guest

    LIAR --- not "lier", which might be someone sleeping horizontally.

    Graduate students, I was one of those a couple of times.

    Thank you for the posting to be wary of internet sellers of wizard type
    diet products, and Hoodia especially.

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  15. Before the big publicity splash with Ephedra a couple of years
    ago, I 'd never heard of Hoodia. I take it Hoodia is an herb
    that does about the same sort of thing as Ephedra? If so then
    wait a few years and it will get its own publictiy splash.

  16. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    Hoodia is another one of those so called "miracle" herbs that sellers
    guarantee you'll lose 60 pounds a month without changing the way you
    eat and don't exercise. Then the little writing says "results not
    typical" which means it doesn't work. So yes, it will and is getting a
    lot of hype.

  17. gweebles wrote:
    > Hoodia is another one of those so called "miracle" herbs that sellers
    > guarantee you'll lose 60 pounds a month without changing the way you
    > eat and don't exercise. Then the little writing says "results not
    > typical" which means it doesn't work. So yes, it will and is getting a
    > lot of hype.

    You've already demonstrated that you know less than nothing about the
    history of Hoodia, yet you continue to spout off and make more of an
    ass of yourself. Unlike most other "miracle herbs", real drug
    companies like Pfizer and Phytopharm have invested millions in
    investigating the potential of Hoodia. Many of the most successful
    drugs in history have been originally isolated from plants.

    And as Guy pointed out, if there is a scam going on, it's companies
    selling phoney Hoodia, not the real product, which is just in the early
    development stages.

  18. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    Oh, you mean you are still sore over this? Hmmm...I lost interest in
    this thread last week.. Get over it. If Hoodia really worked, it
    would only be available by prescription. Anyhoo... you notice how so
    few actually post here anymore? It is because of assholes like you.
    Toodles!

  19. gweebles wrote:
    > Oh, you mean you are still sore over this? Hmmm...I lost interest in
    > this thread last week.. Get over it. If Hoodia really worked, it
    > would only be available by prescription. Anyhoo... you notice how so
    > few actually post here anymore? It is because of assholes like you.
    > Toodles!

    You continue to shoot your mouth off, without knowing a damn thing
    about what you're talking about. You started by accusing Guy of trying
    to promote Hoodia from Phytopharm by spamming, which shows your total
    ignorance of the entire subject and your laziness to even try to figure
    it out. The simple fact is Phytopharm is a legitimate drug research
    company with no Hoodia to sell to consumers period. Yet, you persist
    in making an ass of yourself.

    As for Hoodia being available by prescription, that is exactly what
    Pfizer and Phytopharm were interested in and why they are not selling
    anything yet. Phytopharm is continuing research, testing and
    operations to grow the plant, which takes time. Apparently you think
    drugs just show up in a bottle out of thin air. Many drugs, aspirin,
    digitalis, taxol, just to name a few, originated from plant
    discoveries.

    As to who posts here, I've been here for years and don't recall you
    showing up until recently. I'm sure I would have noticed you, as your
    ignorance is quite obvious. I'll still be here long after your feeble
    brain moves on to some new topic.

  20. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    Actually I have been here since 2001, research, stupid. You brag about
    researching, look up my name and you'll see I was a daily poster here
    until people like you kept dragging mundane things on and on and on and
    on and on. You must really have some emotional issues to keep this up.
    I don't post much here anymore because there are so few left and there
    are only like 10 posts a day when there were hundreds then. It gets
    boring. So unless you have something else to spaz out about I will now
    killfile you so I don't have to listen to you anymore. As to the rest
    stuck with readint this, I apologize for making this thread look
    interesting when it isn't.