The Ideal Exercise Scheme Has Crumbled

Jack

Guest
A jogging oval at the end of the driveway, right outside the front
door. What could be better? The only costs were a timer and running
shoes. Cheaper than any health club membership or home contraptions.
Convenient, and uncrowded too. Nothing like jogging in the buff, au
naturel, on a July day.

But alas, a jogging habit 4 miles a day X 7 days a week for the past 9
years after early retirement has taken a toll on a meniscus cartilage.
It degenerated to the point that it tore, following a set of leg
curls.

Bye bye jogging; hello home contraptions. Elliptical trainer vs.
Nordic skier??????

Aw ****.

Bro

Sorry to hear about this. I had to get an elliptical trainer when my back
could not take the road miles anymore. I still run some, but I use the
elliptical in place of a lot of running now and, though I miss the freedom
to run as much as I want, I love the elliptical. But, each elliptical has a
different feel and you will have to sample them to find one that best fits
your own rhythm.

"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A jogging oval at the end of the driveway, right outside the front
> door. What could be better? The only costs were a timer and running
> shoes. Cheaper than any health club membership or home contraptions.
> Convenient, and uncrowded too. Nothing like jogging in the buff, au
> naturel, on a July day.
>
> But alas, a jogging habit 4 miles a day X 7 days a week for the past 9
> years after early retirement has taken a toll on a meniscus cartilage.
> It degenerated to the point that it tore, following a set of leg
> curls.
>
> Bye bye jogging; hello home contraptions. Elliptical trainer vs.
> Nordic skier??????
>
> Aw ****.
>

> Bro

> But alas, a jogging habit 4 miles a day X 7 days a week for the past 9
> years after early retirement has taken a toll on a meniscus cartilage.
> It degenerated to the point that it tore, following a set of leg
> curls.
>
> Bye bye jogging; hello home contraptions. Elliptical trainer vs.
> Nordic skier??????

I feel your pain. I'm in the gym for the first time in over 30 years of
running. Same problem. Try stationary cycles if the elliptical or Nordic
skier don't work for you knee. I find the elliptical doesn't feel too good
and I used a Precor cross-country ski machine for years when I had minor
problems and feel it too was a bit tougher on lower legs than the bikes.
However, it's all about what machine you're comfortable on and will do
consistently. Good luck, it is possible to stay in great shape with machines
if it's necessary. I haven't given up on running, but realize that at 63
I've got tens of thousands of miles of hard-surface running on my legs and
it has taken a toll.

Tom

--
www.DuendeDrama.org