The Ignoble Origins of Science

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Visual Purple, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Scientists delight in disparaging mystics and those on spiritual
    quests. Though they may concern themselves with ethics as individuals
    and in an ad hoc manner, few scientists will allow that one's moral
    and/or spiritual orientation or level of development will affect the
    outcome of one's experimentation or theoretical calculations. Most
    scientists will tell you that the saint and the scoundrel will produce
    the exact same results in a laboratory if both keep to exactly the same
    algorithms.

    This and more, most scientists are of the opinion that those who are
    spiritually inclined are those who are not capable of rigorous
    "scientific method" and/or "higher mathematics".

    I will demonstrate that the very inverse is the case. Science is none
    other than degraded mysticism. Science was created for those who were
    not able to perceive or appreciate the depths of existence with awe by
    those who had this ability and wished to protect their Wisdom from
    non-initiates who would attempt to plunder their spiritual riches and
    use them for debased purposes. Science is, and was, created expressly
    for those who do not possess the ability to look into the Soul of
    matter. Science was a device for keeping the attention of those who
    could not be initiates into the secrets of Truth busy with what they
    imagined were very esoteric matters, but which were, in truth,
    meaningless activities.

    It is commonly agreed that alchemy is the progenitor of science.
    Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy
    As we can see alchemy is called "protoscience" and alchemists
    "pseudo-scientists".

    But what was alchemy? From whence came alchemy?

    The answer lies here: "But it (Hermetic Philosophy) is not found in
    books, to any great extent. It has been passed along from Master to
    Student; from Initiate to Hierophant; from lip to ear. When it was
    written down at all, *its meaning was veiled in terms of alchemy and
    astrology so that only those possessing the key could read it aright.
    This was made necessary in order to avoid the persecutions of the
    theologians of the Middle Ages, who fought the Secret Doctrine with
    fire and sword; stake, gibbet and cross.* Even to this day there will
    be found but few reliable books on the Hermetic Philosophy, although
    there are countless references to it in many books written on various
    phases of Occultism. And yet, the Hermetic Philosophy is the only
    Master Key which will open all the doors of the Occult Teachings!

    In the early days, there was a compilation of certain Basic Hermetic
    Doctrines, passed on from teacher to student, which was known as "THE
    KYBALION," the exact significance and meaning of the term having been
    lost for several centuries. This teaching, however, is known to many to
    whom it has descended, from mouth to ear, on and on throughout the
    centuries. Its precepts have never been written down, or printed, so
    far as we know. It was merely a collection of maxims, axioms, and
    precepts, which were non-understandable to outsiders, but which were
    readily understood by students, after the axioms, maxims, and precepts
    had been explained and exemplified by the Hermetic Initiates to their
    Neophytes. *These teachings really constituted the basic principles of
    "The Art of Hermetic Alchemy," which, contrary to the general belief,
    dealt in the mastery of Mental Forces, rather than Material
    Elements-the Transmutation of one kind of Mental Vibrations into
    others, instead of the changing of one kind of metal into another. The
    legends of the "Philosopher's Stone" which would turn base metal into
    Gold, was an allegory relating to Hermetic Philosophy, readily
    understood by all students of true Hermeticism."* Source:
    http://kybalion.home.att.net/kybalion.html

    Now we see that alchemy was the result of people who did not understand
    the allegories of mystical principles of mental states trying to put
    into practice the *allegories* that the principles were written it.

    Alchemy was a wild goose chase that those who could never be initiated
    into higher truths but wished to use Wisdom for debased purposes were
    sent on. And science it alchemy's child!

    To this very day it is true that most scientists are people who are
    incapable of peering beyond the physical into the moral and the
    spiritual. They are people who not only cannot see the Soul of matter,
    they disdain those who can and say that those who claim that they can
    see inner dimensions of reality are deluded or lying for cynical
    reasons.

    Science is for those who can only see with their physical eyes. Science
    from its inception was, and is, for those whose eye of the Soul is
    blind.

    VP

    Tags:

  2. I know what you expect and I've seen all the good it's done you.

    Baby steps, Susan. No one expects that you can get from where you are
    to being able to understand quickly.

    VP

  3. "Scientists delight in disparaging mystics and those on spiritual
    quests. Though they may concern themselves with ethics as individuals
    and in an ad hoc manner, few scientists will allow that one's moral
    and/or spiritual orientation or level of development will affect the
    outcome of one's experimentation or theoretical calculations."

    Then the above claim is testable and to provide incentive that such a
    test be done a $1000000 US dollar prize has been established for
    anyone who claims to be able to demonstrate an example of a paranormal
    ability, which the above is surely an example. Consider:

    http://www.randi.org/research/in

    Beyond that, the writer shows a profound lack of knowledge about the
    philosophy and history of science and the claims made are little above
    the level of silly. Thiss made with the full knowledge that folk
    making such claims use any critical response as confirmation of the
    superiority and validity of their views, but such are the silly.

  4. "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Scientists delight in disparaging mystics and those on spiritual
    > quests. Though they may concern themselves with ethics as individuals
    > and in an ad hoc manner, few scientists will allow that one's moral
    > and/or spiritual orientation or level of development will affect the
    > outcome of one's experimentation or theoretical calculations. Most
    > scientists will tell you that the saint and the scoundrel will produce
    > the exact same results in a laboratory if both keep to exactly the same
    > algorithms.

    This post really made me think....Mostly, when
    will this imagined fatuous foolishness end, already?
    Ta ta, I have to run now.

    GWC

> [...]
    > the allegories of mystical principles of mental states trying to put
    > into practice the *allegories* that the principles were written it.
    >
    > Alchemy was a wild goose chase that those who could never be initiated
    > into higher truths but wished to use Wisdom for debased purposes were
    > sent on. And science it alchemy's child!
    >
    > To this very day it is true that most scientists are people who are
    > incapable of peering beyond the physical into the moral and the
    > spiritual. They are people who not only cannot see the Soul of matter,
    > they disdain those who can and say that those who claim that they can
    > see inner dimensions of reality are deluded or lying for cynical
    > reasons.
    >
    > Science is for those who can only see with their physical eyes. Science
    > from its inception was, and is, for those whose eye of the Soul is

  5. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 11 Aug 2005 15:29:03 -0700, "Visual Purple" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Science is for those who can only see with their physical eyes. Science
    >from its inception was, and is, for those whose eye of the Soul is
    >blind.

    Yeah, whatever! Just don't forget to take your medication.

  6. I studied physics. Is that "hard science" enough for you?

    There is nothing silly about what I am saying.

    It's too true for comfort is all.

    VP

  7. RoT

    RoT Guest

    Visual Purple wrote

    <sniped OT crap>

    And this has to do with nutrition exactly how?
    Ahhhh I see, because your kooky ideas gain no support here, you have resorted to trolling the group
    with off topic banter. Your philosophy probably has discussion merit elsewhere but this is not the
    place.

    Do do realise its considered abuse to continually post OT messages to usenet don't you?
    Send Spam and Abuse complaints to [email protected]

    --
    RoT

  8. By all means. Please *do* open that can of worms.

  9. Let's see now....There's "Healthy's" anti-semitic posts. Those are
    right on topic.

    Then there are the abusive posts that were posted to me by any number
    of you for absolutely no reason.

    Great idea. Reporting abuse.

    Yep. I'll get right on it.

    Good idea.

    Thanks.

  10. Well, let's see now. I've reported about ten of you for various forms
    of abuse and that's just for starters.

    Thank you very much for bringing that option to my attention.

    You can be sure I'm going to be using it every time one of you steps
    out of line from now on.

    :0)

  11. Visual Purple wrote:
    > I studied physics. Is that "hard science" enough for you?

    Yeah, but you didn't study it hard enough. Science is for those people
    who want to build mile-long suspension bridges, nuclear powerplants,
    jet aircraft, spaceships, pocket computers, and the like. Mysticism is
    for those who like to play in the mud and pretend, which is what people
    generally did before we got science.

    You can claim all you like the modern science is some kind of degraded
    knowledge from the past, but back then there was a notable absense of
    jets, space ships, and the kind of computer network that you're
    presently using to post your drivel on.

    Back to your kabbalah, girl. We're glad you're enjoying it, but all you
    people who claim a sixth sense should get together and send each other
    some messages, Israel to India. It'll be better than what you get in a
    cereal box (but not nearly so neat as the internet and cell phones).

    SBH

  12. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I know what you expect and I've seen all the good it's done you.
    >
    > Baby steps, Susan. No one expects that you can get from where you are
    > to being able to understand quickly.
    >
    > VP

    A condescending statement toward Susan implying she is not able to think or
    understand quickly.

  13. MMu

    MMu Guest

    "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > the allegories of mystical principles of mental states trying to put
    > into practice the *allegories* that the principles were written it.
    >
    > Alchemy was a wild goose chase that those who could never be initiated
    > into higher truths but wished to use Wisdom for debased purposes were
    > sent on. And science it alchemy's child!
    >
    > To this very day it is true that most scientists are people who are
    > incapable of peering beyond the physical into the moral and the
    > spiritual. They are people who not only cannot see the Soul of matter,
    > they disdain those who can and say that those who claim that they can
    > see inner dimensions of reality are deluded or lying for cynical
    > reasons.
    >
    > Science is for those who can only see with their physical eyes. Science
    > from its inception was, and is, for those whose eye of the Soul is

    you have no idea about the history of science. compare how much developement
    was made before and how much after the invention of scientific method, thats
    basically all you need to assess the situation correctly.

  14. Dr. Dickie

    Dr. Dickie Guest

    "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Scientists delight in disparaging mystics and those on spiritual
    > quests. Though they may concern themselves with ethics as individuals
    > and in an ad hoc manner, few scientists will allow that one's moral
    > and/or spiritual orientation or level of development will affect the
    > outcome of one's experimentation or theoretical calculations. Most
    > scientists will tell you that the saint and the scoundrel will produce
    > the exact same results in a laboratory if both keep to exactly the same
    > algorithms.

    No problem dude, just go back to living the way folks did BEFORE science
    came along.
    Oh, right now you are over due at the witch doctor to get that hole drilled
    in your head to let the evil spirits out.

  15. "I studied physics. Is that "hard science" enough for you?

    There is nothing silly about what I am saying.

    It's too true for comfort is all."

    Those who expose quacks like uri geller and his spoon bending note that
    some of the most vulnerable to his fraud are those in the physical
    sciences, they are fact driven and when they see his magic tricks think
    something is happening and are as easily fooled as anyone. If you think
    your assertion is valid that spiritual views a person holds will affect an
    experiment or calculation, then claim the $1000000 prize by doing a
    demonstration, then "true" and "comfort" can be discussed. That your eyes
    are blind to this is no doubt due to my superior spiritual level.

  16. Robert Klute

    Robert Klute Guest

    All you are saying is that modern science grew out of the semi-mystical
    proto-sciences. I'll buy that. As we learned, as we sloughed off the
    shackles of blind faith, we learned the truth - real, testable,
    verifiable, facts.

    That science works for saint and sinner is a testament to its veracity,
    not a condemnation of it. Science that only works if you have faith in
    it is the foundation of pseudo-science and quackery.

    As far as I am concerned, your argument is self-imploding.

  17. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I studied physics. Is that "hard science" enough for you?
    >
    > There is nothing silly about what I am saying.
    >
    > It's too true for comfort is all.
    >
    > VP

    Physics is the study of impure substances with accurate measurements and
    Chemistry is the science of pure substances with inaccurate measurements.

  18. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

  19. Expanded Version

[...]

    fire and sword; stake, gibbet and cross...As we have stated, the
    Hermetists were the original alchemists, astrologers, and
    psychologists, Hermes having been the founder of these schools of
    thought. From astrology has grown modern astronomy; from alchemy has
    grown modern chemistry; from the mystic psychology has grown the modern
    psychology of the schools. But it must not be supposed that the
    ancients were ignorant of that which the modern schools suppose to be
    their exclusive and special property. The records engraved on the
    stones of Ancient Egypt show conclusively that the ancients had a full
    comprehensive knowledge of astronomy, the very building of the Pyramids
    showing the connection between their design and the study of
    astronomical science. Nor were they ignorant of Chemistry, for the
    fragments of the ancient writings show that they were acquainted with
    the chemical properties of things; in fact, the ancient theories
    regarding physics are being slowly verified by the latest discoveries
    of modern science, notably those relating to the constitution of
    matter. Nor must it be supposed that they were ignorant of the
    so-called modern discoveries in psychology--on the contrary, the
    Egyptians were especially skilled in the science of Psychology,
    particularly in the branches that the modern schools ignore, but which,
    nevertheless, are being uncovered under the name of "psychic science"
    which is perplexing the psychologists of to-day, and making them
    reluctantly admit that "there may be something in it after all."
    The truth is, that beneath the material chemistry, astronomy and
    psychology (that is, the psychology in its phase of "brain action") the
    ancients possessed a knowledge of transcendental astronomy, called
    astrology; of transcendental chemistry, called alchemy; of
    transcendental psychology, called mystic psychology. They possessed the
    Inner Knowledge as well as the Outer Knowledge, the latter alone being
    possessed by modern scientists." Source:
[...]

    Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan, Tzfat, Israel
    [email protected]

  20. Jim Chinnis wrote:
    > "Visual Purple" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
    >
    > >I studied physics.

    > Where?!
    > --
    > Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email protected]

    SUNY at Stony Brook. The dep't is actually better than that of MIT.
    The best of MIT students are allowed to study and teach there.