The Ignoble Origins of Science

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Visual Purple, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. I offer you again the $1000000 prize available to anyone who can
    demonstrate some paranormal event, which your claim that "spiritual" as
    compared to "non spiritual" people doing the same experiment or
    calculation would be.

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I offer you again the $1000000 prize available to anyone who can
    > demonstrate some paranormal event, which your claim that "spiritual" as
    > compared to "non spiritual" people doing the same experiment or
    > calculation would be.

    I'll add my total fortune to your $1000000.
    (On the other hand, experimenters are not
    above fudging or cooking their data. I was
    sorely tempted to fudge some data on my
    thesis to support my conclusion better,
    but I resisted the temptation. Many folks
    give in to the temptation, especially when
    their religious or political convictions are
    at stake. Or their profits.)

    GWC

  3. It seems that education, like some vaccinations, don't take. One can
    believe what one wishes, when that belief is asserted as truth then
    science is called for when we are asking questions about the physical
    world.

    "You are ASSuming too much. That's so, so - you. I have studied the
    history of science. It was part of the required curriculum in the
    physics dep't of SUNY at Stony Brook.
    Someone asked if we should go back before the time of science. Yes, I
    would like to go back to the time before fluoridation of water, genetic
    engineering, irradiation of food and innoculation with live viruses...

    I do not think that modern methods of psychiatry are less barbaric and
    less based on pure ignorance than drilling holes in the skull. Modern
    treatment for migraine seems to be no more effective.

    I do not think that most drugs, which are intentionally formulated to
    cause side effects that necessitate the taking of yet more drugs (thus
    at least doubling the profits and dependency) are an advance over
    traditional forms of medicine.

    I do not respect modern scientists more than shamans or other
    practioners of traditional medicine, and often much less.
    "

  4. Then your higher irrationality must bow before my super irrationality.
    The perfect excuse to pick and choose from science to meet our
    preconcieved notions and bias. This rhetorical tap dance is no salvation.

    "I am not against science or scientific method. I am against science
    and scientific method in the hands of people who do not recognize the
    superiority of super-rational Wisdom over rational knowledge.

    I accede that to most people the super-rational and the irrational
    sound very much the same.

    It is up to the individual to arrive at a level wherein she or he may
    discern and know the difference between that which is above grammar,
    syntax and mathematical systems and that which is twaddle."

  5. "Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." - Immanuel
    Kant

    I am not against science or scientific method. I am against science
    and scientific method in the hands of people who do not recognize the
    superiority of super-rational Wisdom over rational knowledge.

    I accede that to most people the super-rational and the irrational
    sound very much the same.

    It is up to the individual to arrive at a level wherein she or he may
    discern and know the difference between that which is above grammar,
    syntax and mathematical systems and that which is twaddle.

  6. MMU wrote (true to his usual, um, form): "you have no idea about the
    history of science. compare how much developement was made before and
    how much after the invention of scientific method, thats basically all
    you need to assess the situation correctly."

[...]

  7. Bow? If making idols of stone and wood was folly, what can be said of
    making idols of petri dishes and pipettes?

    I am deeply concerned about people like you - the utter fools with a
    little bit of dangerous knowledge.