The ignorant teaching the willing to learn

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by EuanB, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    So one of the young lads at work's probably going to get a bike on Sunday and has asked me to show him how to ride. Good stuff so far.

    His boss pops up next to him and says he didn't know his charge had never ridden on the road before. He's teaching his kids to ride and will give him the advice he gave his kids; stay as close to that kerb as you can.

    Basically I told him he didn't know what he was talking about, told the young lad that on no account should he listen to his boss about cycling as he doesn't know how to ride. One of the office's regular cyclists came up and gave him a serve. It was all quite funny really, in a sad misguided sort of way.

    Anyway if the young lad picks up the bike on Sunday I'll pop around his place on Monday night and take him through some bike skills. Next morning I'll pick him up on the way in to work and teach him how to ride in traffic.

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Reminds me of some misguided motorists, ie: *the just letting you know I'm here warning toot*. Rather patronising. Copped one yesterday from a nice old dear. I did sucessfully fight the urge to flip the bird.

  3. steve46au

    steve46au New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2005
    Should have sat right in the middle of the lane, taken your time, THEN fliiped the bird LOL

  4. cyclist2

    cyclist2 New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    another clasic is, the 'baby on board' sticker, does that mean they drive better or worse or the friggen babys driving ?

  5. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Reminds me of some misguided motorists, ie: *the just letting you know
    > I'm here warning toot*. Rather patronising. Copped one yesterday from
    > a nice old dear. I did sucessfully fight the urge to flip the bird.

    Don't even think about riding in Indonesia then. That's what the horn is
    for.

    In Oz the horn is used to mean 'get out of my way you stupid arsehole, don't
    you know I have right of way'. I think I prefer the other.

    Theo

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-01-16, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
    > > In Oz the horn is used to mean 'get out of my way you stupid arsehole, don't
    > > you know I have right of way'. I think I prefer the other.

    > You know that ad for the Toyota Hilux? The one where the cars and
    > everything is pushed away by an invisible force?

    How about the one where the driver is bitten by a snake, and drives to
    hospital under the influence of a halucinogen? Tops ...

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > How about the one where the driver is bitten by a snake, and drives to
    > hospital under the influence of a halucinogen? Tops ...

    Same as all the other Toyota ute drivers.

    <Checks badge> Phew! Mine's a Ford Courier.

    Theo

  8. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-16, TimC (aka Bruce)
    > On 2006-01-16, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
    >> In Oz the horn is used to mean 'get out of my way you stupid arsehole, don't
    >> you know I have right of way'. I think I prefer the other.

    > You know that ad for the Toyota Hilux? The one where the cars and
    > everything is pushed away by an invisible force?

    Feh, might as well break the netiquette rules :)

    Okie, just submitted to www.advertisingstandardsbureau.com.au:

    # NAME OF ADVERTISER AND/OR PRODUCT
    Toyota HiLux
    # DESCRIPTION OF THE ADVERTISEMENT
    A Toyota is seen driving in to a carpark at a beach, and an invisible
    force pushes away non human objects. An aggressive tone of voice is
    used at the end to tell people to get out of the way of these vehicles.
    # WHEN AND WHERE YOU SAW OR HEARD IT
    Television, various times over the week of 9 January, 2006. Enigma,
    8:30 16 January 2006, channel 7. Braveheart, channel ??, 15 January
    2006, ??
    # REASON FOR YOUR CONCERN
    to legitimise a "might is right" mentality -- a mentality that already
    exists on the roads and is frequently used against vulnerable road
    users, and a mentality that ought not be endorsed by large advertisers
    (see following statement).
    # YOUR NAME AND POSTAL ADDRESS
    Tim Connors
    133 Power Avenue
    Chadstone, Victoria, 3148

    I find the entire series of ads for the Toyota HiLux rather offensive.
    The common theme is "anything lesser than myself, get out of my way".
    The advertisement promotes aggression on the roads, and tries to
    legitimise a "might is right" mentality -- a mentality that already
    exists on the roads and is frequently used against vulnerable road
    users, and a mentality that ought not be endorsed by large
    advertisers. The advertisers consistently[1] attempt to get out of
    breaking the letter of the code of practice by having an invisible
    force move the objects out of the way.

    Toyota keep coming back (in previous complaints on the advertising
    standards bureau website) with statements like "We believe that it is
    clear that the advertisements portray a fantasy representation of the
    impact of the HiLux, which is clearly self evident exaggeration."
    Exaggeration has never been an excuse for irresponsible advertising.
    The code of conduct states "FCAI acknowledges that advertisers may
    make legitimate use of fantasy, humour and self-evident exaggeration
    in creative ways in advertising for motor vehicles. However, such
    devices should not be used in any way to contradict, circumvent or
    undermine the provisions of the Code". It also states "In
    interpreting and applying the Code, FCAI asks that advertisers take
    into account both the explicit and implicit messages that are conveyed
    by an advertisement". I believe Toyota are using fantasy to attempt
    to get around rule 2a of the code of conduct. The implicit message is
    that of aggression and the vehicle is clearly menacing to the other
    users of the road related area -- most road users would rather such
    aggression were not a normal part of road life.

    They say "At no point in the commercial is the HiLux shown speeding,
    breaking road rules, or in fact, actually making contact with any
    other object. To the contrary, the advertisements are at pains to
    ensure the viewer understands that there is no physical contact
    between the HiLux and any of the objects shown to be affected by it".

    I note that you can drive aggressively, and cause an accident even
    without contacting other vehicles. As a long time cyclist, I have had
    personal experience, and have plenty of friends who tell of aggressive
    drivers (and some other simply careless drivers) who may perform a
    sudden, dangerous and aggressive maneuver, causing a cyclist to
    perform evasive action that results in the crash of the cyclist, all
    without contact with the aggressor's vehicle -- an invisible force, if
    you will. The ad also tells Toyota's customers that their vehicle is
    invincible, surely encouraging their drivers to partake in more risky
    behaviour.

    We already know that 4WDs/SUVs are aimed at aggressive types. We also
    know such vehicles are more dangerous for other road users, with
    e.g. the rates of brain injury of occupants of a car which is side
    impacted by a 4WD vehicle being 26 times higher than those of
    occupants in the same accident not involving a 4WD vehicle:
    http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s715056.htm

    Toyota also say "Toyota maintains that there is nothing dangerous,
    illegal, aggressive or reckless in the driving portrayed in the
    commercial".

    The latest advertisement finishes with a man saying "Get in or get out
    of the way" in a very aggressive tone of voice (I hadn't noticed
    aggression in previous iterations of this commercial).

    They keep saying "Get in or get out of the way" is a catch-cry for a
    call to arms. No matter how Toyota spin this, it is a statement
    encouraging aggressive drivers to go out and buy the HiLux, so they
    can bully more vulnerable road users off the road. As a personal
    sidenote, the last three occasions I have been hit by a vehicle in the
    wrong, the vehicle has been a 4WD -- one of those was a very
    aggressive young man (the likely target of one of these ads), and
    another ended up with my hospitalisation because the aggressive nature
    and height of the front of the vehicle happened to catch my bike and
    throw it (and me) to the ground.

    Rule 2a) of the FCAI Motor Vehicle Code states should not portray
    "Unsafe driving, including reckless and menacing driving that would
    breach any Commonwealth law or the law of any State or Territory in
    the relevant jurisdiction in which the advertisement is published or
    broadcast dealing with road safety or traffic regulation, if such
    driving were to occur on a road or road-related area, regardless of
    where the driving is depicted in the advertisement". The message of
    the advertisement is clearly menacing.

    Also in the AANA Advertiser Code of Ethics, section 2.2) states
    "Advertisements shall not present or portray violence unless it is
    justifiable in the context of the product or service advertised".
    Road violence and aggression is rarely justified, particularly the
    implication of such violence in advertising material is not
    appreciated by most road users.

    I note the number of complaints about the HiLux ads already lodged and
    dismissed by the advertising standards bureau. I'm sure this
    complaint will also be dismissed, but please do take note of the
    number of complaints being lodged, and perhaps understand that these
    ads do /not/ fit in with society's expectations.

    I would also like to request why section 2.6 of the AANA Advertiser
    Code of Ethics is negated for motor vehicle advertisements (as per
    section 2.7)? I do not see why motor vehicle advertisers are exempt
    from the requirement that "Advertisements shall not depict material
    contrary to prevailing community standards on health and safety" --
    surely the public can expect motor vehicle advertisements to meet
    community standards on safety as well as other manufacturers?

    [1] Previous complaints relevant to this advertiser have all been
    dropped:
    http://www.advertisingstandardsbureau.com.au/PDF/05_99.pdf
    http://www.advertisingstandardsbureau.com.au/PDF/05_147.pdf
    http://www.advertisingstandardsbureau.com.au/PDF/05_146.pdf

    --
    TimC
    No, the best way to prepare is to write programs, and to study great

  9. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:19:05 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

    > <Checks badge> Phew! Mine's a Ford Courier.

    Wow, those hallucinogens are even disguising the Prado badge :)
    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "The wages of sin is death, but so's the salary of virtue, and at least

  10. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:11:59 +0000, TimC wrote:

    Thanks Tim. You made me get off my arse and follow suit. That ad shits me.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Be careful doing that, unless you're intending to change your mailing address real soon in the future.

    BTW, from last year + the McGee palavar:

    I heart fog: also featuring Toyota in the toolshed, and Eugene McGee in Super Smash Bonanza:
    http://invisiblegovernment.net/n/blog/i_heart_fog.html

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

  13. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

  14. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Random Data wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:19:05 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >
    >> <Checks badge> Phew! Mine's a Ford Courier.

    > Wow, those hallucinogens are even disguising the Prado badge :)

    Haven't had any of those since the seventies. :)

    Theo