The Impacts of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People

Mike Vandeman

Guest
The Impacts of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People
Michael J. Vandeman, Ph.D.
March 27, 2007

It is obvious that mountain biking is harmful to some wildlife and
people. No one denies that. Bikes create V-shaped ruts in trails,
throw dirt to the outside on turns, crush small plants and animals on
and under the trail, increase levels of human access into wildlife
habitat, drive other trail users off the trails and out of the parks,
and teach young people that the rough treatment of nature is
acceptable. Because land managers were starting to ban bikes from
trails, mountain bikers decided to try to shift the battlefield to
science, and try to convince people that mountain biking is no more
harmful than hiking.

The appropriate tool for comparing the impacts of two activities, such
as hiking and mountain biking, is the experimental study. One selects
two trails, as identical as possible, and applies hiking to one and
mountain biking to the other, and then measures the variable of
interest (e.g. erosion), while trying to control all other factors
(e.g. the weather). IMBA has collected all the research they could
find that seemed favorable to mountain biking (see
http://www.imba.com/resources/science/index.html). I reviewed that
research, and one other experimental study (see
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7). While the authors claimed to
show that mountain biking and hiking have the same impacts, they
didn't report their results accurately.

For example, they said that both activities caused the same amount of
erosion, but they forgot to multiply the amount of erosion by the
total distance traveled (mountain bikers typically travel several
times as far as hikers, thus causing several times as much erosion).
Some other defects that biased their conclusions are: riding much more
gently than normal mountain biking; not measuring soil displaced
sideways; and ignoring research or results unfavorable to mountain
biking. One researcher even told the hikers to approach desert bighorn
sheep, while instructing the bikers to ride by without stopping! A
study (by M. J. Wisdom, et al) that found mountain biking to have
greater impacts on elk than hiking has been ignored by IMBA.

D. D. White et al did a "survey" study (reviewed at
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/white) which claimed that mountain
biking has the same impacts on soil as hiking. A survey study simply
takes measurements of existing conditions, and tries to draw
inferences from them. For example, one might measure tread depth on
hiking trails and compare it with that on mountain biking trails.
Nothing useful can be concluded from such a study: there's no way to
know if the differences were due to hiking vs. biking, or to
differences in terrain, weather, soil type, amount of use, trail
construction or maintenance, hikers walking on the "bike" trails,
bikers poaching the hiking trails, etc.! White collected no data on
hiking, but used figures from other parts of the world! Jeff Marion's
research (reviewed at http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/marion) is
likewise based on a survey design, and thus of no value in such
comparisons.

There is a trend for advocates of mountain biking to publish articles
on mountain biking impacts that purport to be scientific studies, but
in fact are designed and intended to promote mountain biking by
minimizing its impacts and by drawing conclusions that don't follow
from their data. The danger is that people will quote such conclusions
out of context, as if they were supported by the research, which they
are not.

===

On Mar 28, 7:15 am, "JP" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Or in computerese
>
> GARBAGE IN :: GARBAGE OUT

mike's the only guy more full of **** than me!!!

Mike, what are you doing to restore the Hetch Hetchy Canyon? That's
right in your own backyard. Your community's water comes from the
reservoir created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam. That reservoir displaced
untold numbers of animals so people like you can live in an area that
is otherwise incapable of supporting human life.

On 30 Mar 2007 09:48:06 -0700, "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike, what are you doing to restore the Hetch Hetchy Canyon? That's
>right in your own backyard. Your community's water comes from the
>reservoir created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam.

I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
human-free habitat & stopping mountain biking.

What are YOU doing about it?

On Mar 30, 1:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
> are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
> human-free habitat...

Well, there's you...that's one too many. One who could put his wasted
hours to far better use than trolling for arguments.

> & stopping mountain biking.<

It isn't the concept that's so bad - it's your extreme, one-size-fits-
all, hard-headed approach. Do you EVER expect anyone to take you
seriously?

Have a nice weekend as you stew in your tiny chamber, afraid of going
outside lest you harm or frighten a bird below whose nest you pass by
40 feet. I will, as I go out and ride my bike responsibly on the Bay
Trail without harming a single animal, observing thousands of them
behaving naturally and freely, and walking among them when I take a
hike in the hills tomorrow.

Bruce Jensen

On Mar 30, 4:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2007 09:48:06 -0700, "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mike, what are you doing to restore the Hetch Hetchy Canyon? That's
> >right in your own backyard. Your community's water comes from the
> >reservoir created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam.

> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
> are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
> human-free habitat & stopping mountain biking.

Are you telling me that you buy bottled water to cook? Assuming that
you wash your clothes, you are using water from the reservoir. That
reservoir displaced more wildlife than any mountain bike trail. You
are in a position to help do something about it.

> What are YOU doing about it?

Trying to get you to clean up your own backyard while I work on
environmental matter in my area.

Olebiker <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mar 30, 4:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I don't think I've drunk any water from there [Hetch Hetchy] in over
>> 30 years.

>Are you telling me that you buy bottled water to cook? Assuming that
>you wash your clothes, you are using water from the reservoir.

Put your coffees down, folks. Ok? Now keep reading:

Actually, Mike's right on this one. Us East Bay-ers (Mike, you live in
Berkeley, right?) don't get any of our water from Hetch Hetchy. Most of
our supply is in the Pardee and Camanche reservoirs in the Sierras, and
about 20% of it comes from local East Bay reservoirs.

Hetch Hetchy goes to a variety of places in the South Bay, to Crystal
Springs Reservoir on the peninsula, and to the City.

-Beej, damned lying mountain biker

On 30 Mar 2007 14:14:38 -0700, "Bruce Jensen" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mar 30, 1:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

I see that you conveniently removed your lie, so no one will know
about it.

>> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
>> are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
>> human-free habitat...

>Well, there's you...that's one too many. One who could put his wasted
>hours to far better use than trolling for arguments.

Don't the lies ever end? I'm not trolling for arguments; I'm educating
fools like you.

>> & stopping mountain biking.<

>It isn't the concept that's so bad - it's your extreme, one-size-fits-
>all, hard-headed approach. Do you EVER expect anyone to take you
>seriously?
>
>Have a nice weekend as you stew in your tiny chamber, afraid of going
>outside lest you harm or frighten a bird below whose nest you pass by
>40 feet. I will, as I go out and ride my bike responsibly on the Bay
>Trail without harming a single animal, observing thousands of them
>behaving naturally and freely, and walking among them when I take a
>hike in the hills tomorrow.
>
>Bruce Jensen

===

On 30 Mar 2007 15:04:14 -0700, "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 30, 4:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 30 Mar 2007 09:48:06 -0700, "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Mike, what are you doing to restore the Hetch Hetchy Canyon? That's
>> >right in your own backyard. Your community's water comes from the
>> >reservoir created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam.

>> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
>> are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
>> human-free habitat & stopping mountain biking.

>Are you telling me that you buy bottled water to cook? Assuming that
>you wash your clothes, you are using water from the reservoir. That
>reservoir displaced more wildlife than any mountain bike trail. You
>are in a position to help do something about it.

I'm trying to say I haven't used that water AT ALL for 30 years.
Idiot.

On Mar 31, 8:15 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2007 14:14:38 -0700, "Bruce Jensen" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mar 30, 1:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> I see that you conveniently removed your lie, so no one will know
> about it.

Feel free to put it back if it makes you feel better or gives you more
ammunition, I don't care. Whatever I may have removed (?) - it
certainly wasn't worth keeping.

> >> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years. There
> >> are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
> >> human-free habitat...

> >Well, there's you...that's one too many. One who could put his wasted
> >hours to far better use than trolling for arguments.

> Don't the lies ever end? I'm not trolling for arguments; I'm educating
> fools like you.

Yeah sure. Whatever. You just go on, worrying about whether somebody
of whom you disapprove gets to enjoy walking among the animals. I hope
it gives you great joy. I'm going back to working for things that
actually matter for the animals, like real land preservation,
restoration of habitat and securing the future of persecuted species.

Oh yes, and introducing new people to the joy of observing them.
Nothing guarantees a future for animals in jeopardy like
knowledgeable, well-acquainted new fans, something *your* schemes
discourage and will never achieve.

Bruce Jensen
****************

On 31 Mar 2007 20:00:45 -0700, "Bruce Jensen" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mar 31, 8:15 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 30 Mar 2007 14:14:38 -0700, "Bruce Jensen" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Mar 30, 1:07 pm, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I see that you conveniently removed your lie, so no one will know
>> about it.

>Feel free to put it back if it makes you feel better or gives you more
>ammunition, I don't care. Whatever I may have removed (?) - it
>certainly wasn't worth keeping.

Lies usually aren't.

>> >Well, there's you...that's one too many. One who could put his wasted
>> >hours to far better use than trolling for arguments.

>> Don't the lies ever end? I'm not trolling for arguments; I'm educating
>> fools like you.

>Yeah sure. Whatever. You just go on, worrying about whether somebody
>of whom you disapprove gets to enjoy walking among the animals. I hope
>it gives you great joy. I'm going back to working for things that
>actually matter for the animals, like real land preservation,
>restoration of habitat and securing the future of persecuted species.
>
>Oh yes, and introducing new people to the joy of observing them.

The "joy" is entirely one-sided -- something you steadfastly ignore.
The wildlife don't appreciate having their habitat destroyed and
invaded. That is obvious to anyone who actually CARES about wildlife.

>Nothing guarantees a future for animals in jeopardy like
>knowledgeable,

Your "knowledge" excludes "inconvenient" facts, as I described above.

well-acquainted new fans, something *your* schemes
>discourage and will never achieve.
>
>Bruce Jensen
>****************

===

On Apr 1, 10:43 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Your "knowledge" excludes "inconvenient" facts, as I described above.

I've yet to see you mention a "fact." Your's is pure opinion based on
generalities, ignoring specifics, and amounting to elitism.
Conceptually you have some good ideas, but the devil is in the
details, and those, you are woefully short on. Keep trying, but know
that you won't get far until you give somebody reason to believe you.

Bruce Jensen

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 30 Mar 2007 15:04:14 -0700, "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I don't think I've drunk any water from there in over 30 years.
>>> There are plenty of people working on that issue, but not enough on
>>> human-free habitat & stopping mountain biking.

>>Are you telling me that you buy bottled water to cook? Assuming that
>>you wash your clothes, you are using water from the reservoir. That
>>reservoir displaced more wildlife than any mountain bike trail. You
>>are in a position to help do something about it.

> I'm trying to say I haven't used that water AT ALL for 30 years.
> Idiot.

I collect my water from a 'catch basin' and a well we had drilled
several years ago (tastes like sulpher).

Mike, Just where does the water you consume come from?

Another resivior? Well? Any idea??

On 13 Apr 2007 17:09:14 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:

>>>Are you telling me that you buy bottled water to cook? Assuming that
>>>you wash your clothes, you are using water from the reservoir. That
>>>reservoir displaced more wildlife than any mountain bike trail. You
>>>are in a position to help do something about it.

>> I'm trying to say I haven't used that water AT ALL for 30 years.
>> Idiot.
>>

>I collect my water from a 'catch basin' and a well we had drilled
>several years ago (tastes like sulpher).
>
>Mike, Just where does the water you consume come from?
>
>Another resivior? Well? Any idea??

That's impossible to know. Water molecules are mostly identical, &
can't be traced.

>>>Trying to get you to clean up your own backyard while I work on
>>>environmental matter in my area.

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you
>> are fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 13 Apr 2007 17:09:14 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>> I'm trying to say I haven't used that water AT ALL for 30 years.
>>> Idiot.
>>>

>>I collect my water from a 'catch basin' and a well we had drilled
>>several years ago (tastes like sulpher).
>>
>>Mike, Just where does the water you consume come from?
>>
>>Another resivior? Well? Any idea??

> That's impossible to know. Water molecules are mostly identical, &
> can't be traced.

I believe to qare an idiot Mike.

You staed that the water you consumed DIDNT comre from reservoir created
by the O'Shaughnessy Dam, yet you dont know where is does come from.
Either you are LYING or and IDIOT. Which is it??