The Infamous Bb86 Ultra Torque Click

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Alf:
"BTW. I wasn't whining about anyone ponying up for the Rogue Mechanic's shims ..."

Your memory is as shitty as your mechanical abilities and comprehension of the English language.
LOL?!?

Do you think I should respond to the douchebag's remarks, too?

Well, I guess I'll think about it while I take a few moments to reply to your amusing ranting ...

CAMPYBOB said:
"I was simply saying that a person has another option, now, which just happens to be "free."

********! Among other moronic rantings you stated n bold type:
"First, a seemingly obvious reason not to use the Rogue Mechanics solution is because of the PT Barnum cost..."

C'mon, Alf...you can't even remember what you typed yesterday and you expect us to follow your oh-so-learned 'blueprinting' mad skillz...*****ing about $45 worth of shims when you require a $300 tool to perform a 'fix' that makes the source of the noise...worse.

****ing BRILLIANT!
OH, I get it now ...

You are just envious because you haven't got the tools and/or you apparently are questioning your skill level to blueprint your BB shell(s).

CAMPYBOB said:
Sure, you could pay me or some dumb as you ****stick at a bike shop that, like you, doesn't have a ****ing clue what the difference between 4 thousandths or 4 ten-thousandths of an is finger **** your clicking Colnago or Wilier...AND THEN have to stick MORE shims into the clearance that was OPENED UP by the douche nozzle that milled away MORE MATERIAL from your BB shell!

****ING BRILIIANT!
Well, I stopped trusting "some dumb as a ****stick at a bike shop(s)" a long time ago ...

For the same reason that you do (most of?) your own wrenching on your bikes.

Again, apparently YOU don't feel you have the skill to blueprint your BBs ...

No shame there.

No shame in relying on the Rogue Mechanic's shims, either.

BUT, if a person doesn't have to, then why bother?

Of course, as far as blueprinting a BB shell (I reckon that most probably only need to be check & do NOT need tweaking, by the way), I think that YOU CAN DO IT if you had the will ...

BUT, if you want to act like a globalwarming advocate and misconstrue what has been stated while repeating your nonsensical rant, well that's your prerogative.

CAMPYBOB said:
Keep it up, dumbfuck. With every post you make yourself look even more retarded and pollute the thread with more craptastic bad advice that NO ONE with an ounce of common sense is going to follow.

"It wasn't the bearings which were binding, it was the crank arm(s) ..."

I have no clue how you managed that trick, but a quick swipe with an .005" feeler gage would have told you that you managed to **** something else up that nobody else has managed to **** up.

From your first moronic reply to the last piece of worthless **** you posted, all you've accomplished is to prove an adult really can be dumber than a fifth grader.

C60 was correct. You haven't got a clue.
Okay ...

I was not recommending that anyone trust some "dumb as a ****stick at a bike shop" ...

I thought that YOU had more manual skills than you either feel you have or you actually have ...

Neither YOU-nor-I need a feeler gauge to know what's what ...

BECAUSE (and, while it may not be the case, your remarks continue to make it sound as if you let someone else work on YOUR bike's BB & crankset installation) it is EASY to know how much resistance to expect when HALF an Ultra Torque crank is held in an Ultra Torque BB cup ...

AND, what it feels like when ANY crankset is binding.

If a person isn't ham-fisted, then it is easy to shave minimal amounts from almost a metal surface if it isn't the first time ...

I guess that I am too clueless to know better. :)

Quote by Alf:
"OH, I get it now ... "

No. No you don't get anything. Not Now. Not ever.

You are just envious because you haven't got the tools and/or you apparently are questioning your skill level to blueprint your BB shell(s)."

Alf, you're insane. I hope you find the help you obviously need.

"I guess that I am too clueless to know better."

That's the first sentence you've typed that has any sense in it. Congratulations. You may be on the road to recovery.

Quote by C60:
"Another little project in the shop for now. :)"

Nice. I have Harleys, an old Indian and sold off a GSXR-1100 in order to stay alive a little longer.

ColnagoC60 said:
My silicone ****, apologies I mean BB job, has now just passed 1,000km. The cranks spin forever on the ceramic bearings if I lift the chain and there is still silence. The whole experiment must have taken me at most 15 minutes, while Alf has now spent probably two full days typing the same information over and over and trying to cover up his totally impractical statements that slipped out earlier.

BTW, look at that BB picture he posted carefully. Looks like a Fuji S10-S, painted with no prime coat and no deraillure guide. The frame is probably worth $50, why would anyone want to put Super Record on a POS like that?

LOOK AT YOU!

Hey, douchebag ...

I was trying to NOT reply to since YOU indicated that replying to "idiots" was pointless ...

BUT, clearly you are trolling for a reply ...

That I have taken the time to reply to CAMPYBOB in this thread while not immediately replying to you after you indicated that there was no reason to is because, despite his attempts at excoriating remarks, I actually respect him & his contributions to this Forum & replying to him is actually a courtesy ...

If it seems that I am repeating the "same information over and over" it is because I am confident (as I indicated earlier) that at some point in the future CAMPYBOB will have an epiphany ...

It may be a decade from now ...

It may be when he is on his deathbead ...

Or, maybe it won't be until he asks "St. Peter" what the deal was!

Regardless, whenever THAT epiphany occurs, it does not mean that I think that he should remove the Rogue Mechanics shims from his bikes ...

It just that when he can finally wrap his head around what I have stated he will eventually get it despite his current protestations.

BTW. One can only wonder how you can dismiss a medium-hard plastic to dampen the "clicking" while using a less stable silicon to dampen the "click" which your Ultra Torque crankset had ...

Yeah, that shows a good understanding of materials.

I'm glad that you feel that your solution works for you ...

You've got your's ...

CAMPYBOB has opted for the Rogue Mechanic's shims

And, I have MY "idiot" resolution which does not have any kluges.

FYI. It's hardly a revelation that the pictured BB shell is of a Fuji S10-S frame BECAUSE the picture is so labeled!!!

Yeah, you're the smart one.

AND, it is hardly a revelation that on the open market that the frame is worth $50-or-less ...

The frame was made in the mid-70s ...

And, would have only been considered to be a mid-range frame, at best, at the time.

FYI. Most frames of the era either used clamp-on cable guides or might have Cinelli braze(d)-on guides for the front derailleur cable ...

BUT, you would have known that if you were as smart as you think you are ...

Not that it matters, but I have more than one frame ...

I see no reason not to allow components to eventually trickle down from one build to another ...

SIMILARLY, I see no reason why other people shouldn't consider putting SOME better components on an existing frame that s/he might have because, as I have stated (based on the numerous frames that I have), everything behind the Fork & Headset is basically just a caboose ...

BTW. If you think there is a difference between a Super Record BB shell and one that isn't, then you are clueless ...

The Super Record BB cups are on the FUJI because it's what was handy.

As far as the paint, or lack of ...

A majority of the frame needs to be touched up ...

Do YOU think that touching up the paint will improve how the bike rides?!?

What a douche you are if you think it will ...

AND ESPECIALLY, you are a douchebag if you think it makes any difference to the execution of the actual blueprinting of the BB shell.

One of my hobbies...built the gun and the transit cases.
DSCF1018.jpg

006-4.jpg

CAMPYBOB said:
"My silicone ****, apologies I mean BB job, has now just passed 1,000km. The cranks spin forever on the ceramic bearings if I lift the chain and there is still silence.

You lie!

I'll bet you never even measured your Q-Factor! The only way to cure the ticking noise is to 'blueprint' your BB shell! And I KNOW your Hirth Joint has an air gap and is wobbly because you wee too lazy to cut a milk jug washer for your defective left-hand thread fixing bolt!

BTW, that Fuji's BB shell looks like it was 'blueprinted' all right...with a ball pein hammer. And why the alloy crank arms with SR cups?

"...why would anyone want to put Super Record on a POS like that?"

No clue, but he was all over your case for your "conspicuous consumption" for using the same Super Record level stuff. I will say that Campy makes even a craptastic Fuji a better bike, but I think I would have at least painted the thing (with a primer coat or three) before upgrading it to Campagnolo.

You called it, C60. I don't think either of us has seen anyone so technically inept when it comes to what is the source of the noise (excessive endplay in the installed crankset assembly) and how to cure it (Let's see...should we focus on removing clearance or adding clearance by 'blueprinting' things???).

I think I'll be sticking with my method of 'blueprinting'...carefully adding shims like Goldilocks And The Three Shims. Not too loose...not too tight...just right!

Congrats on the 1K Km mark. I would ask you do a 'How To' thread with pictures and measurements, but for God's sake, do it on another forum and PM me a link to it! You don't stand an ice cube's chance in Hades of getting technical information across on this one.

Quote by Alf:
"OH, I get it now ... "

No. No you don't get anything. Not Now. Not ever.

You are just envious because you haven't got the tools and/or you apparently are questioning your skill level to blueprint your BB shell(s)."

Alf, you're insane. I hope you find the help you obviously need.

"I guess that I am too clueless to know better."

That's the first sentence you've typed that has any sense in it. Congratulations. You may be on the road to recovery.
YOU KNOW THE TUNE ...

Bob, Bob, Bob,

Bob Error Man

Bob, Bob, Bob,

Bob Error Man

Bob ERROR MA-a-an

Oh, Bob Error Man ...

Need I say more?

I will repeat that I'm confident that if YOU can take your head out of your ass for a few minutes then you will eventually get it ...

REALLY!

Quote by Alf:
"Need I say more?"

No. But we're certain you will. Dumbass.

Quote from Alf:

BTW. One can only wonder how you can dismiss a medium-hard plastic to dampen the "clicking" while using a less stable silicon to dampen the "click" which your Ultra Torque crankset had ...

Alf, you suffer from dementia?

You were going to put a milk jar washer behind the bolt holding to joint together at 40Nm plus, because you thought that the bolt was clicking on the inside of the hollow shaft. Go read your incompetent post again. That is where I lost interest, as even the thought is idiotic.

That is very different to my approach, which was a test, one still holding up. As you have illustrated to us so many times that you no have brains I spell it out loud. USING YOUR MILKJUG **** BEHIND THE BOLT HAS NO RELEVANCE AT ALL WITH A 40 DUROMETER SILICON RUBBER WASHER>

Dementia?

I should have known!

THAT'S what got him thinking adding clearance by 'blueprinting' the BB shell would do the trick!

Either that...or he just ran out of idiotic explanations for what is painfully clear to everyone else on the planet.

Hmmmm? I wonder if Alf can figure out what that 'C-Clamp' laying in front of my STEN gun is? Nah!

CAMPYBOB said:
Dementia?

I should have known!

THAT'S what got him thinking adding clearance by 'blueprinting' the BB shell would do the trick!

Either that...or he just ran out of idiotic explanations for what is painfully clear to everyone else on the planet.

Hmmmm? I wonder if Alf can figure out what that 'C-Clamp' laying in front of my STEN gun is? Nah!
I would not trust him even near that gun. He won't know which side is front or back and then after almost killing himself blame the designer for not blueprinting it.

CAMPYBOB said:
Dementia?

I should have known!

HA!

Well, I know it's a micrometer ...

But will the douchebag disagree with me just because I said it was one?!?

Alf, why don't you rather answer my question way way back, than avoiding the fact that your technical aptitude is about that of a 5 year old.

Here it is again, since you skirt around writing **** we all know over and over.

What do you think will happen to a HDPE (milk jug washer) under a bolt torqued at 40-60 Nm?

This is what you suggested, remember?

ColnagoC60 said:
Alf, why don't you rather answer my question way way back, than avoiding the fact that your technical aptitude is about that of a 5 year old.

Here it is again, since you skirt around writing **** we all know over and over.

What do you think will happen to a HDPE (milk jug washer) under a bolt torqued at 40-60 Nm?

This is what you suggested, remember?
OH!

Apparently, you think that your prior critical declaration of your belief in my lack of knowledge is now a question to which I did not respond ...

WELL, douche, hopefully the "milk jug washer" will compress ...

It would merely be a "damper" ...

You do know that the head of the bolt which is in contact with its washer is in contact with a metallic surface, don't you?

Whether YOU or CAMPYBOB want to admit it, when the measurable Q-FACTOR (oh, there's that "word" again!) exceeds 144.5mm, then you have separated the two halves of the UT crank's Hirth Coupling ...

AND, THAT means that as snug as the bolt may seem to be, it can move relative to the driveside half of the spindle, and vice versa ...

Get it?

Of course, I now reckon you are probably too stupid, so not.

It would NOT be intended to act as yet another "spring" being added to the UT's assembly ...

It would not change the dimensions of the crankset.

Does THAT answer make you happy?

Is THAT enough of an explanation for you to troll with?

alfeng said:
OH!

Apparently, you think that your prior critical declaration of your belief in my lack of knowledge is now a question to which I did not respond ...
WELL, douche, hopefully the "milk jug washer" will compress ...

It would merely be a "damper" ...
You do know that the head of the bolt which is in contact with its washer is in contact with a metallic surface, don't you?
Whether YOU or CAMPYBOB want to admit it, when the measurable Q-FACTOR (oh, there's that "word" again!) exceeds 144.5mm, then you have separated the two halves of the UT crank's Hirth Coupling ...
AND, THAT means that as snug as the bolt may seem to be, it can move relative to the driveside half of the spindle, and vice versa ...
Get it?
Of course, I now reckon you are probably too stupid, so not.
It would NOT be intended to act as yet another "spring" being added to the UT's assembly ...
It would not change the dimensions of the crankset.

Does THAT answer make you happy?

Is THAT enough of an explanation for you to troll with?
That explains that I was wrong about you having the technical aptitude of a 5 year old. You have now proven that it is closer to that of a 5 month old.

Let me know if you want, and I shall gather my patience and reply to each of your unpractical and impossible replies in this thread.

Alf, why don't you shoot one of your learned replies off to the engineering department at Campagnolo suggesting your HDPE washer be included in the next generation of HyperTorque (I've already patented the name in anticipation of Campy paying me millions for the naming rights) cranksets.

Explain to them how it will react to fastener torque and wax eloquent as to what it will do for fastener retention, accurized torque readings AND eliminate all noise from any BB assembly despite enormous amounts of clearance due to BB shells not being 'blueprinted'.

I'm certain after hearing the details you can conveniently cut & paste from this thread they will send you at least twice as much as they are going to send my way.

Alf, seriously...you've lost it.

ColnagoC60 said:
That explains that I was wrong about you having the technical aptitude of a 5 year old. You have now proven that it is closer to that of a 5 month old.

Let me know if you want, and I shall gather my patience and reply to each of your unpractical and impossible replies in this thread.
OOoooh ...

I'll pass ...

BECAUSE, if you insist that separating the crankarms by 1.0mm does not affect the Hirth Coupling which joins them, then it is YOU who are clueless AND the one who is lacking "technical aptitude."

People always interest me.

It is very clear that Alf has no mechanical technical education, very little practical experience yet the tenacity to argue on for hours on end. And then with this background, he criticizes US Engineering education. Wow.

I always wonder if it is possible to rescue an individual like this and help him back to sanity. My guess though is that his ego will be much bigger than factual technical analysis.

If he goes along with us, I will help him along with a proper analysis of each of his statements, but my guess is that is not going to happen.

I think we are wasting our time here Campy Bob, time to move onto new things.

Quote by Alf:
"Well, I know it's a micrometer ..."

It's not just 'a' micrometer. It's MY micrometer. One of several 0-1" mics I own and have used for almost 40 years. One of a complete set that goes to 10" One of several sets of O.D., I.D., Depth, Bore and Groove mics I own and use.

You see, Alf, unlike you I actually know the difference between a thou and a tenth. And what that means in many mechanical applications. And where you can get away with what. And where you can not.

And I know which tools can measure to what resolution, repeatability and the expected confidence level those readings have associated with them.

I also learned a long, long time ago when someone was full of **** when it comes to things mechanical in nature. And you, Alf, are so full of **** your eyes are brown.

I mastered the subject of clearance a long, long time ago also. You have made it clear that at whatever age you've obtained you still have not grasp that very simple mechanical attribute or its effects on assemblies.

And long before I took up engineering and design as a way to put bread on my table and pay for my Campagnolo equipped bicycles...my father taught me an even more important life lesson. He taught me that we have one thing of great value that costs us very little, but that can be easily lost...our reputations.

Alf, maybe you really are too dense to understand what you just did to yours in this thread, but I will explain that to you in a very short, easily understood sentence: You trashed yours while insulting the intelligence of everyone that read this thread.

Good luck trying to get back what you destroyed. That's a lot more difficult proposition.

CAMPYBOB said:
Alf, why don't you shoot one of your learned replies off to the engineering department at Campagnolo suggesting your HDPE washer be included in the next generation of HyperTorque (I've already patented the name in anticipation of Campy paying me millions for the naming rights) cranksets.

Explain to them how it will react to fastener torque and wax eloquent as to what it will do for fastener retention, accurized torque readings AND eliminate all noise from any BB assembly despite enormous amounts of clearance due to BB shells not being 'blueprinted'.

I'm certain after hearing the details you can conveniently cut & paste from this thread they will send you at least twice as much as they are going to send my way.

Alf, seriously...you've lost it.
SERIOUSLY?!?

It was only the douchebag who was fixated on the "HDPE washer" until YOUR most recent post ...

But now, YOU have been suckered into taking up his banner.

I simply offered it an alternate to using the silicon compound which he was using to fabricate an ad hoc washer.