Road Cycling · Public discussion

The Italian Job

Started by Brian Sanderson · · Last activity · 5 posts · 338 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 May 2005
Last activity
29 May 2005
Original author
Brian Sanderson
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
338
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm gonna ramble a bit here...

    I live just above the upper left-hand corner of the USA...in a nice seaside
    town that's getting a lot of sun lately...perfect riding weather, in fact.

    I have a neighbor, a nice old duffer named D. F. He's a retired mechanic of
    some sort, and fairly handy...but he don't know bicycles. Which is a shame,
    because tinkering with and getting around by bike are two things we have in
    common, and probably why we get along so well...I've raided his spare parts
    collection at least as often as he's raided mine...in fact he's contributing
    a new frame for my hardtail and a seat for the "no-weld" recumbent I'm gonna
    start on soon...

    Mr. F. is pretty spry, but he doesn't like working any harder than he has to
    (he's retired, see?), and so none of the street beaters he has built or
    modified have a full set of gears (he doesn't like front derailleurs), but
    on the other hand, none of them have been very light or quick. He thought
    he had that problem beat when one fine saturday he stumbled across a 90%
    complete MARINONI 12-speed racer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the purists among you will no doubt point out that MARINONI is not
    actually an Italian brand. Maestro Marinoni lives in Vermont, USA. "Mass
    Market" versions of his creations are produced in a factory in Canada;
    Quebec, I believe. Unless there's more than one Marinoni out there...but
    I digress.<<

    As originally equipped, the bike had a Shimano 600 group with a few odds and
    ends missing: pedal cleats, front brake shoes, rear derailleur cable; stuff
    like that. D.F. stripped the frame, added a big-assed overpadded sprung
    saddle, replaced the stem and bars, and installed narrow 26" wheels. Now,
    he had a street beater light enough to go ANYWHERE...or so he thought.

    You have to take a moment to picture this bike: no rear brake, as the 26"
    back wheel was too short and he couldn't find a long-reach caliper for it.
    A 26" front fork to replace the original, with a huge stamped steel sidepull
    on it. A BMX stem with (no joke) high-rise girlie bars on it...and, of
    course, the piano-stool sized saddle.

    He didn't care what it looked like, it ran great...

    However...

    The geometry was all wrong. The way it was configured, most of his weight
    was on the back wheel, and so shortly he began popping rear tires. After
    two or three such incidents, on long rides after which he had to WALK home
    (have to convince him to carry spare tubes and a pump - and learn how to use
    tire levers), he gave the bike up as a bad job and started riding one of his
    other creations. (he has several)

    Then he gave it to me...

    oh wow...

    I got the bike frame and all associated parts that had come with when it was
    first purchased. I spent nights the last few weeks getting the bike in
    riding condition. Finally, after boring my co-workers to tears telling them
    ALL about it, we got some good weather and so I rode it to work. Just to
    show off.

    Ouch.

    The gear ratios on my Freddy Fender commuter bike are much kinder, and I
    just DON'T have the kind of kick it takes to push a 2:1 ratio up a long hill
    like the Alex Fraser Bridge; or even the shorter but much steeper Nordel Way
    hill. But I made it home; even if I did have to stop to catch my
    breath...four times. For the technically inclined, it has a 52-42 on the
    front and a 12-21 on the back. The 42:21 combo was what I was trying to lug
    uphill that day; that's where the 2:1 ratio comes from.

    I've taken it back into the shop for some tweaks and re-do's. The original
    Cinelli stem was replaced with a "short upright" alloy stem from my spare
    junk, and the faded neon red bar tape removed in favor of some basic black
    foamtape. The 12-21 casette has been replaced with a 14-38...we'll see how
    it works out.

    Oh...anybody out there ever used nu-teck or airfree 700cc tires? Know any
    dealers in Vancouver, BC?

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Sanderson said:

    The 12-21 casette has been replaced with a 14-38

    After all that work of undoing all those kludgy mods?
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire :-)
    (or did you mean 14-28?)

    At least you got the proper wheels back on 'er, thank goodness.

    52/42 up front /is/ a bit much for our local terrain, yet
    for a long time that's pretty much what bikes came with.

    If there was such a thing as a skull-&-crossbones smiley,
    that's what I'd use when mentioning the Alex Fraser bridge.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  3. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Sanderson said:

    The 12-21 casette has been replaced with a 14-38

    After all that work of undoing all those kludgy mods?
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire :-)
    (or did you mean 14-28?)

    Hi Tom!

    Nope, I meant a 14-38...I have a 14-28 in the bin, but the middle sprocket
    has a couple of broken teeth...

    ....and did I mention the "suicide bars" for the brake levers I borrowed off
    an old dia-compe set I had?

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Sanderson said:


    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Sanderson said:

    The 12-21 casette has been replaced with a 14-38

    After all that work of undoing all those kludgy mods?
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire :-)
    (or did you mean 14-28?)

    Hi Tom!

    Nope, I meant a 14-38...I have a 14-28 in the bin, but the middle sprocket
    has a couple of broken teeth...

    Awwww, mannnn ... a good ol' (Steel) Marinoni that's already
    been through the wringer.

    Hanging MTB stuff on it is like ... I dunno ... a crown of thorns.

    Quoted message said:

    ...and did I mention the "suicide bars" for the brake levers I borrowed off
    an old dia-compe set I had?

    Those much-maligned doohickeys can be tuned, and I think can be
    made useful for a bike used in stop-&-go (or slow-down/speed-up
    city traffic.)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Sanderson said:


    "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Brian Sanderson" <[email hidden]> writes:


    ..
    (a Marinoni)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The 12-21 casette has been replaced with a 14-38

    After all that work of undoing all those kludgy mods?
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire :-)
    (or did you mean 14-28?)

    Hi Tom!

    Nope, I meant a 14-38...I have a 14-28 in the bin, but the middle sprocket
    has a couple of broken teeth...

    Awwww, mannnn ... a good ol' (Steel) Marinoni that's already
    been through the wringer.

    Hanging MTB stuff on it is like ... I dunno ... a crown of thorns.

    There should be a Bicycle Rescue Association, as there is for dogs.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...and did I mention the "suicide bars" for the brake levers I borrowed off
    an old dia-compe set I had?

    That's it. Brian, please, what is your address? I would love to come and
    rescue^H^H^H^H^H^H admire your new bike in person!

    Quoted message said:

    Those much-maligned doohickeys can be tuned, and I think can be
    made useful for a bike used in stop-&-go (or slow-down/speed-up
    city traffic.)

    Cross levers. Same idea done right, US$15 on sale:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=104&subcategory=1194&brand=&s
    ku=10888&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    If you decide to order a set, order two: I want to get some at that
    price, but I'm wanted by Federal Express.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.