The Jock

ewep

Jan 31, 2002
Has anyone done the Jock (July, Baberton SA) in the last few years? What is it like?

The Jock has changed in the last two or three years, what I do know is that it's extremely difficult and this year the Jock will only consist of one stage of 150km. ouch !!!

Try to get hold of roadster and big H, if I recall correctly I think they did it last year. Yep it' 1 stage now, not fun!!

The Jock is a great challenge. You do not have to do 150 km. It is still divided into 3 stages. You can enter at the second or third stage if you do not want to do the whole 150km. Come on - it's great and hard!!

Never done it, going to do the whole distance and I can't wait. Hopefully I'll do it in just under 4 hours, but still need to do plenty training.

Heard that it is quite an event bring on the tough events I wish they had more races like this one in south africa.

The Jock is really tough and you need to be prepared mentally as well as physically. If you start in Barberton you will need to dress warmly and have back up along the way to collect your arm warmers etc as you will need to strip off before you get to Boulders... If it is your first go to enjoy it and try not to get caught up in the "race" - I made that mistake last year and ended up hating my bike!! The Tzaneen Tropical tour on 11th July will be a good test to see if you are ready...
Good luck!

what day is the jock? and who's responsible for the seeding (cyclelab??)

This year will be my 4th Jock. Was off the bike for 5 weeks after my accident and need to get some SERIOUS training going. First two years I did it was in three stages and last year was the first time I did all 150km's in one. It really is a very tough race, and after every one I said "never again" but then I'm back the next year.

It is on the 26th of July but I'm not sure if Cyclelab does the seeding. In comparison to previous years, the last two years' organising was done very well.

If you can take suffering and have a high pain threshold, this one is for you.