The joys of Cambridge

In article <Q%z%[email protected]>, tpsc12248
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

> > My beating of taxis and the tube in London occurs at all hours of the
> > day even in the congestion zone where streets can be pretty quiet.
> >

> I must say I very seldom check my trike commutes against my car journey
> times but in a built up environment in 2007 the bike will surely win on most
> occasions.

I do the test several times a month. We all arrive in London on the
same train. Colleagues go for the tube or taxi and I unfold my bike. I
am always waiting at the destination for them to arrive - even in
journeys such as Waterloo out to Mile End Road - and I frequently get an
earlier train home than them on the return journey.

> I remember reading recently that crossing London by car-bus is slower now
> than in the days of the horse drawn coach.
> Something not right there.
> I m sure big brains have had a few phd s out of that.

Its simple - if the roads get faster more people start to use them until
the traffic speed is decreased by congestion back to its starting level.
The M25 is a good example where building a completely new road did not
speed up the traffic but simply increased it to maintain the speed.

> But car drivers still cling like glue to their slow 4 wheel transport.
> In Scotland I must use my car because my commutes were 40 plus miles each
> way-no public transport- but I can use the trike for local trips.

So you cling like glue to your car rather than living nearer work.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Adam Lea <[email protected]> wrote:

> "tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:IW5%[email protected]...

> > Cycling on roads with traffic doing 60 mph-feel free- you have my
> > admiration-as an ex-hang glider pilot I admire bravery.

> If the cars are doing 60mph then the road must have sightliines good enough
> to travel at that speed which means a cyclist will be visible from several
> hundred yards away; plenty of time to react.

While I agree with most of what you have written, the above is sadly not
true. There are a good few roads around here along which some drivers
hurtle at silly speeds. Many of these roads are narrow gently-winding
country lanes at which it's quite possible to travel at the limit. For
this reason, I always keep my ears open for their high-pitched revving
so that I can keep out of their way.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

tam <[email protected]> wrote:

> Married, one child, middle-aged housewife. I cycle on the road where
> > cyclists belong. I cycle country lanes, village roads, town roads, city
> > roads, A roads, dual carriageways, B roads... if it's got tarmac and it's
> > a road, I'll cycle it! I do not, however, bungee-jump.
> >

> You make my point-the average punter has a reading age of 12 and does not
> possess a computer.

The average 12 year old has a reading age of 12. That's why they picked
that number.

tam <[email protected]> wrote:

> But car drivers still cling like glue to their slow 4 wheel transport.

Many people prefer to sit in a large metal box, listening to their own
choice of music on a good quality stereo in a warm, dry and comfortable
traffic jam.

> In Scotland I must use my car because my commutes were 40 plus miles each
> way-no public transport- but I can use the trike for local trips.

Could you live closer to your place of work?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

tam wrote:

[snipped...]

> Why are wonderfully comfortable trikes not adopted by the upwrong
> fraternity?
> Is it the £1500 price tag.

You can get a 'bent trike for £1500...? I thought they were a tad more
expensive than that. I'd love one to commute on.

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Rob Morley twisted the electrons to say:
> Lots of motorists can't handle the basics of vehicle control even when
> nothing's moving near them - the other day I saw some old fart reverse
> into a sandwich board then try to make out that it was the board's
> fault. :-\

I bet the sandwich board hadn't paid road tax either? <grins>

Tony Raven twisted the electrons to say:
> In article <IW5%[email protected]>, tpsc12248
> @blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > Side road problem-dead easy- crossings are complete with cycle traffic
> > lights on cycle paths.

> Every junction, side road, entry and drive has a signalised bicycle only
> crossing phase? Really? Where's that then?

Not to mention it would to be a complete pain to slow from 15-20mph (or
maybe more) down to 0mph in order to press the button to activate said
crossing lights before setting off again. Worse yet, you'd still have to
assume that some drivers might not stop for the lights ...

tam twisted the electrons to say:
> today the govt. are admitting that the run on Northern Rock cost ?24
> billion-that means it really cost us [taxpayers] at least ?48 billion.

Unless Northern Rock has defaulted on their *loan* from their Bank of
England then it hasn't cost the tax payer a penny yet ...

Bob twisted the electrons to say:
> You can get a 'bent trike for £1500...? I thought they were a tad more
> expensive than that. I'd love one to commute on.

I believe the Catrike Trail[1] is available for <#1000?

I've not had a nice long go on one, just a quick pootle around outside
York Minster on the one that VeloVision where reviewing at this years
Rally, but it seemed quite nice to me.

[1] http://www.catrike.com/trail.htm

">> Why are wonderfully comfortable trikes not adopted by the upwrong
>> fraternity?
>> Is it the £1500 price tag.

> You can get a 'bent trike for £1500...? I thought they were a tad more
> expensive than that. I'd love one to commute on.

Do nt ICE do a base model for around £1500 my neighbour got one recently-two
trikes in one street-it looks superb.

Its 10 years since I built my trike even D-I-Y the bits cost £1400 and it
took 6 months to build.
That was making the fibreglass shell D-I-Y to.
It has certainly put in the miles tho.
My first trike was a Ross Trice- it cost £400 second hand.
Build quality was appalling the cross member broke with monotonous
regularity.
Ride was supremely twitchy.
Seat was hard shell it boomed-creaked and sweated away.
Being ignorant I thought all trikes were like that.
Nick Andrews is a genious.
He designed the steering geometry of my present trike you can cycle hands
off-its a superb machine-a serious bit of transport.
I will not go on and on about it suffice to say I am unfit and can cycle for
31/2 hours[I get bored easily]-non-stop using a platypus hydration
bag and stand up with no numb bum-its got a fabric seat.
However it is a big beast when its not moving-it folds to 3 feet x 3 feet x
14 inches.
I cannot understand why the "serious" upwrong fraternity do nt use them.
I have of course a vested interest-more trikes-lower cost-more choice.
I even saw a recumbent "convoy" in recent years way up the Highlands they
all looked very comfy gliding along.
If you are tempted to D-I-Y one it is not impossible my bible is the
£6?handbook from the BHPV club full of excellent advice.
The biggest bit is the kingpins/steering layout all the rest is bike
components-except the frame/s of course.
Tam

> So you cling like glue to your car rather than living nearer work.

I am now retired so I can live where I want.

I must admit I have always been attracted to cars I have built them and
raced them and got a lot of pleasure from them-still do.
To keep alive tho I must take regular excercise-cycle- or with my medical
condition-die more or less.
I do nt accept the UK can do anything about greenhouse gases on a global
scale-the USA-China-India can-they wo nt-and am in the minority of those who
doubt the science.
When I was working the roads in Scotland during the rush hour were rather
quiet-compared to now.
Driving up here is still a pleasant experience and unlike down south we can
be at the coast or the heart of the highlands in under 11/2 hours by
car-which I do often and will continue doing.
However my continental triking jaunts have opened my eyes to cycling as an
enjoyable part of life.
Changing work to be within cycling distance is just not a practical option
for most people------except of course for that hero of the down-trodden-that
paragon of economic theory----Norman Tebbit.
Tam

"Alistair Gunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tam twisted the electrons to say:
>> today the govt. are admitting that the run on Northern Rock cost ?24
>> billion-that means it really cost us [taxpayers] at least ?48 billion.

> Unless Northern Rock has defaulted on their *loan* from their Bank of
> England then it hasn't cost the tax payer a penny yet ...

You mean like Mr Mugabe The Bank of England has just "printed" the money?.
Its interesting how banking works.
Student asks bank for loan to help him thro medical degree ends up owing
bank around £20000.
Hedge fund managers extract billions from bank for dead dodgy loans---loans
go belly up-------tax payer stumps up the shortfall--and--wait for it----
the management walk away with mega bucks.
On the numbers thing I am only quoting that paragon of economic journalism
Mr Jay.
In the end the tax payer is going to pay out the equivalent of Hollands GDP.
The private sector is not going to pay back the shortfall--its got the
cash--and unlike you or I it does nt "need" to pay it back
Tam

"tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:pg2%[email protected]...

> Back to my previous point.
> Cars injure/kill cyclists.
> I have driven 500000 miles+ hand on heart I cannot claim to have
> been concentrating for every yard I probably even fell asleep at
> the wheel in my younger macho days-.
> The bus driver that hit me last year admitted he did not look
> before turning right.
> The sports car that almost drove over me recently was turning
> left-he never even looked left.
> I survived I was lucky.
> Its safer not to mix cyclists with motor vehicles.
> It is obviously not possible always to do this.
> I do not want mandatory paths I just want the European option.
> It will certainly get the masses onto their bikes-at least once.

[snip]

What is the difference between the "European option" and the bike
path systems of Milton Keynes, Stevenage and Harlow? Nobody who
cannot answer that question should be permitted to have anything to
do with designing, or advocating, bike facilities.

Jeremy Parker

"tam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:IW5%[email protected]...
> Side road problem-dead easy- crossings are complete with cycle
> traffic lights on cycle paths.

[snip]

You are not a red light runner, I hope. Given the percentage of
cyclists likely, what is the percentage of green time likely?

Or are cyclists not protected against turning motorists?

Jeremy Parker

> Not to mention it would to be a complete pain to slow from 15-20mph (or
> maybe more) down to 0mph in order to press the button to activate said
> crossing lights before setting off again. Worse yet, you'd still have to
> assume that some drivers might not stop for the lights ...

Must admit do nt know whats worse getting a red light on the hill climb
having to get going all over again.
Or
Flying down the hill-at less than 20mph on the bike path of course-and
losing all that lovely gravity momentum-for a pesky red light.
Can happen on the road tho.
Tam

In article <WkG%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> You mean like Mr Mugabe The Bank of England has just "printed" the money?.
> Its interesting how banking works.
> Student asks bank for loan to help him thro medical degree ends up owing
> bank around £20000.
> Hedge fund managers extract billions from bank for dead dodgy loans---loans
> go belly up-------tax payer stumps up the shortfall--and--wait for it----
> the management walk away with mega bucks.
> On the numbers thing I am only quoting that paragon of economic journalism
> Mr Jay.
> In the end the tax payer is going to pay out the equivalent of Hollands GDP.
> The private sector is not going to pay back the shortfall--its got the
> cash--and unlike you or I it does nt "need" to pay it back

Your grasp of economics is as bad as your grasp of cyclepath physics.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

>> Its safer not to mix cyclists with motor vehicles.
>> It is obviously not possible always to do this.
>> I do not want mandatory paths I just want the European option.
>> It will certainly get the masses onto their bikes-at least once.

> [snip]
>
> What is the difference between the "European option" and the bike path
> systems of Milton Keynes, Stevenage and Harlow? Nobody who cannot answer
> that question should be permitted to have anything to do with designing,
> or advocating, bike facilities.

You mean in a UK democracy I cannot advocate for cycle facilities without
expert knowledge.
Is that expert knowledge like what got us involved in Iraq then.
Or expert knowledge that says we must have Trident.
I am pretty suspicious of experts--they gave us the dome-must admit I rather
like it.
£1billion eh!
Tonight I am on christmas pudding watch-6 hours.
Its an exciting retiree s life for me!-it will be death if I let the thing
boil dry.
Tam

x-no-archive:On 17 Nov, 18:23, "tam" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> You mean like Mr Mugabe The Bank of England has just "printed" the money?..
> Its interesting how banking works.
> Student asks bank for loan to help him thro medical degree ends up owing
> bank around £20000.
> Hedge fund managers extract billions from bank for dead dodgy loans---loans
> go belly up-------tax payer stumps up the shortfall--and--wait for it----
> the management walk away with mega bucks.
> On the numbers thing I am only quoting that paragon of economic journalism
> Mr Jay.
> In the end the tax payer is going to pay out the equivalent of Hollands GDP.
> The private sector is not going to pay back the shortfall--its got the
> cash--and unlike you or I it does nt "need" to pay it back
> Tam

This is so funny. Can you expand on these financial gems of wisdom?

> You mean like Mr Mugabe The Bank of England has just "printed" the
> money?.
> Its interesting how banking works.
> Student asks bank for loan to help him thro medical degree ends up owing
> bank around £20000.
> Hedge fund managers extract billions from bank for dead dodgy
> loans---loans
> go belly up-------tax payer stumps up the shortfall--and--wait for it----
> the management walk away with mega bucks.
> On the numbers thing I am only quoting that paragon of economic journalism
> Mr Jay.
> In the end the tax payer is going to pay out the equivalent of Hollands
> GDP.
> The private sector is not going to pay back the shortfall--its got the
> cash--and unlike you or I it does nt "need" to pay it back
> Tam

This is so funny. Can you expand on these financial gems of wisdom?

Ah you mean like our friend--he s got a doctorate in international finance.

When we took out our Standard Life Endowment 20 years ago my wife said to
him whats the disadvantage.
He sniggered and said the world economy would have to take a major turn down
for a sustained period for our endowment to fail and there was absolutely no
chance of that.
Everybody was taking out tax efficient"you only pay interest"endowments.
Tam

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <Q%z%[email protected]>, tpsc12248
> @blueyonder.co.uk says...
>

>> > My beating of taxis and the tube in London occurs at all hours of the
>> > day even in the congestion zone where streets can be pretty quiet.
>> >

>> I must say I very seldom check my trike commutes against my car journey
>> times but in a built up environment in 2007 the bike will surely win on
>> most occasions.

> I do the test several times a month. We all arrive in London on the
> same train. Colleagues go for the tube or taxi and I unfold my bike. I
> am always waiting at the destination for them to arrive - even in
> journeys such as Waterloo out to Mile End Road - and I frequently get an
> earlier train home than them on the return journey.

Interesting one this week.

My evening commute from East Kilbride back to Hamilton is not in fact very
long - 7.25Km - but it's over one real ***** of a hill - about 110 metres
of climb (with good descents, too, to be fair).

On Thursday my colleague David left the office just in front of me. He was
driving, I was (as usual) cycling. I overtook him within 100 metres of
starting; he finally caught back up with me when I was within 200 metres
of home.

I expect bikes to be faster than cars in urban conditions, but over 7Km,
all but 300 metres of it with a speed limit of 50mph or NSL, and with that
hill in the middle... let us say I felt quite pleased with myself.

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?