The Kid boots Levi's bald scone !

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Contador also had some pointed remarks about teammate Levi Leipheimer, who finished 46 seconds back in second place.

“I will only say that it’s not normal that someone that is supposed to be working for you finishes less than one minute back in the GC,” Contador said.

“If Navacerrada had been 20km more, I don’t know what would have happened.”

The pair would have been tied if there weren’t time bonuses, something Contador said worked in his favor.

“I wanted that there wouldn’t be bonuses, but there were and I took advantage of them,” he said. “If there weren’t bonuses, I would have raced in another manner anyway.”

When asked about the key stages in Asturias, Contador didn’t hold any punches.

“He pulled a little (at Angliru), but Valverde attacked very early and dropped him,” he said. “It was a delicate situation (at Fuentes de Invierno). If I was alone with Mosquera, I would have let him win, but considering how things were, it was important to take the bonuses.”

The reporter asked who is the biggest wheel-sucker, Leipheimer or Cadel Evans?

“Uff, mmm, the truth is, I wouldn’t know what to say …,” Contador said, leaving it with a smile.

whiteboytrash said:
Contador also had some pointed remarks about teammate Levi Leipheimer, who finished 46 seconds back in second place.

“I will only say that it’s not normal that someone that is supposed to be working for you finishes less than one minute back in the GC,” Contador said.

The pair would have been tied if there weren’t time bonuses, something Contador said worked in his favor.

“I wanted that there wouldn’t be bonuses, but there were and I took advantage of them,” he said. “If there weren’t bonuses, I would have raced in another manner anyway.”

“He pulled a little (at Angliru), but Valverde attacked very early and dropped him,” he said. “It was a delicate situation (at Fuentes de Invierno). If I was alone with Mosquera, I would have let him win, but considering how things were, it was important to take the bonuses.”

“Uff, mmm, the truth is, I wouldn’t know what to say …,” Contador said, leaving it with a smile.

I wouldn't have the nerve to say that about someone who pulled him up the Angliru. Actually if he hadn't worked one single pull for me I wouldn't still talk trash about my team-mate. I'm still not convinced that Contador would be so in his own league. If we put him against a guy who can TT well (Lance next year?) and won't get dropped in the mountains he will lose.

- Does he mean that Leipheimer should've helped him more? He might be getting a little bit too full of himself.

whiteboytrash said:

How heavily have you altered this article WBT? Anyway, the really juicy gossip will start flowing if/when Armstrong arrives and starts trying to boss Contador around.

RdBiker said:
- Does he mean that Leipheimer should've helped him more? He might be getting a little bit too full of himself.
That's what I'm thinking too. Bruyneel has most likely told him that he is the designated GT leader, so he just assumes that all other riders on Astana ride ONLY for him. Contador just gives the impression of a whiner with these comments. In my opinion, a rider should be made GC leader because the team thinks he has the best chance of a high placing. If another rider on the team rides equally well, the leader has no right to complain unless there is some kind of sabotage-riding by the helpers. And I didn't see any of that in the Vuelta. If, however, I were in Levi's shoes, and had in some way been forced to hold back, I would be VERY VERY ******.

whiteboytrash said:

Looking at the final ITT last weekend, leipheimer was bursting a gut to get the ITT win and (I thought) try to get top spot on GC.

and I agree with Klodi..........great thread title WBT!

limerickman said:
Looking at the final ITT last weekend, leipheimer was bursting a gut to get the ITT win and (I thought) try to get top spot on GC.

and I agree with Klodi..........great thread title WBT!
Levi must be dribbling with anticipation at next year's season. :rolleyes: What a career progression, to go from being Armstrong's domestique, to team leader in his own right, to being Contador's domestique, to 2009 when he'll be Contador and Armstrong's domestique. If he had any hair left on that bald scone he'd be tearing it out with frustration.

Rolfrae said:
Levi must be dribbling with anticipation at next year's season. :rolleyes: What a career progression, to go from being Armstrong's domestique, to team leader in his own right, to being Contador's domestique, to 2009 when he'll be Contador and Armstrong's domestique. If he had any hair left on that bald scone he'd be tearing it out with frustration.

LOL!

Personally, I like Leipheimer : he goes about his business without fuss or favour and he comes across as being a pretty respectful guy.

But it must be absolutely frustrating, having joined Astana and to find himself in this situation.

If baldy wins the TT today I'll be livid. His bike position/facial expressions make me cringe. Does he tan either? At least he doesn't have a monobrow like Bertie.

El Loto said:
If baldy wins the TT today I'll be livid. His bike position/facial expressions make me cringe. Does he tan either? At least he doesn't have a monobrow like Bertie.
I'd like to see Marco Pinotti win. He doesn't look like an embryo and I (perhaps naively) believe he is dope-free.

Rolfrae said:
I'd like to see Marco Pinotti win. He doesn't look like an embryo and I (perhaps naively) believe he is dope-free.

Pinotti is my nap bet for overall ITT today.

Grabsch gets it. You can see without Cancellara that no TT is predictable. Worthy winner though. He's progressed well. Thank goodness baby head finished outside the medals.

El Loto said:
Grabsch gets it. You can see without Cancellara that no TT is predictable. Worthy winner though. He's progressed well. Thank goodness baby head finished outside the medals.

Grabsch's got a superb TT palmares : a very good win for him.
Delighted to see him win a world championship title.

Good ride by Dave Z. Losing the moustache obviously helps with the aerodynamics.