The Killer Squirrels Have Started An Insurgency - Mike Jacoubowsky Warned Us!

They Savagely Attacked A Law Officer!

Pet Squirrel Attacks Police Officer
'Spanky' Plays Rough, Owner Says

POSTED: 10:49 am EDT August 22, 2005
UPDATED: 10:54 am EDT August 22, 2005

LEOMINSTER, Mass. -- A police officer got a rude welcome from a pet
squirrel when he went to serve a warrant on a Massachusetts woman.

The incident happened last week in Leominster, Mass.

Once police were inside the home, the squirrel, named "Spanky,"
attacked Officer Dwayne Flowers.

Flowers suffered some scratches and was treated and released at a local
hospital.

Flowers said he has been attacked before, but never by a pet squirrel.

"He had a good chuckle," Flowers said of his partner.

The woman said Spanky didn't mean any harm, he just plays rough.

Spanky was in the custody of animal control officers, who said they
weren't sure what they would do with the animal.

Police said they were serving the 42-year-old woman with a warrant to
get her help for an alleged drug dependency.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4880302/detail.html

[email protected] wrote:
> They Savagely Attacked A Law Officer!
>
> Pet Squirrel Attacks Police Officer
> 'Spanky' Plays Rough, Owner Says
>
> POSTED: 10:49 am EDT August 22, 2005
> UPDATED: 10:54 am EDT August 22, 2005
>
> LEOMINSTER, Mass. -- A police officer got a rude welcome from a pet
> squirrel when he went to serve a warrant on a Massachusetts woman.
>
> The incident happened last week in Leominster, Mass.
>
> Once police were inside the home, the squirrel, named "Spanky,"
> attacked Officer Dwayne Flowers.
>
> Flowers suffered some scratches and was treated and released at a local
> hospital.
>
> Flowers said he has been attacked before, but never by a pet squirrel.
>
> "He had a good chuckle," Flowers said of his partner.
>
> The woman said Spanky didn't mean any harm, he just plays rough.
>
> Spanky was in the custody of animal control officers, who said they
> weren't sure what they would do with the animal.
>
> Police said they were serving the 42-year-old woman with a warrant to
> get her help for an alleged drug dependency.
>
> http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4880302/detail.html

Blasted animals are everywhere. I came out of the univeristy library
yesterday to find something (a squirrel, I m sure) had ripped the
pocket in my pannier and made off with my muffin.

Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

John Kane
Kingston ON

"John_Kane" <[email protected]> writes:

> Blasted animals are everywhere. I came out of the univeristy library
> yesterday to find something (a squirrel, I m sure) had ripped the
> pocket in my pannier and made off with my muffin.
>
> Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried
> squirrel?

I believe that you need to soak the meat in salt water before cooking,
to leach out some of the excessive gaminess. I go squirrel hunting, but
I've never actually shot one--it's really more of an armed hike:)

Feet an' inches an' lines work best for house framin' work 'cause it is
awful damned hard to get the decimal in the wrong place.
--Jonathan R. Hatfield

On 24 Aug 2005 07:52:11 -0700, "John_Kane"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

I'm told squirrel tastes horrible.

Jasper

<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> They Savagely Attacked A Law Officer!
>>
>> Pet Squirrel Attacks Police Officer
>> 'Spanky' Plays Rough, Owner Says
>>
>> POSTED: 10:49 am EDT August 22, 2005
>> UPDATED: 10:54 am EDT August 22, 2005
>>
>> LEOMINSTER, Mass. -- A police officer got a rude welcome from a pet
>> squirrel when he went to serve a warrant on a Massachusetts woman.
>>
>> The incident happened last week in Leominster, Mass.
>>
>> Once police were inside the home, the squirrel, named "Spanky,"
>> attacked Officer Dwayne Flowers.
>>
>> Flowers suffered some scratches and was treated and released at a local
>> hospital.
>>
>> Flowers said he has been attacked before, but never by a pet squirrel.
>>
>> "He had a good chuckle," Flowers said of his partner.
>>
>> The woman said Spanky didn't mean any harm, he just plays rough.
>>
>> Spanky was in the custody of animal control officers, who said they
>> weren't sure what they would do with the animal.
>>
>> Police said they were serving the 42-year-old woman with a warrant to
>> get her help for an alleged drug dependency.
>>
>> http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4880302/detail.html

>Blasted animals are everywhere. I came out of the univeristy library
>yesterday to find something (a squirrel, I m sure) had ripped the
>pocket in my pannier and made off with my muffin.
>
>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?
>John Kane
>Kingston ON

Dear John,

Just google for "squirrel stew":

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir3.html

Bon apetit!

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
"John_Kane" <[email protected]> writes:

> Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

It's better stewed. And since one can starve to death
eating just squirrel, it's best used as an adjunct in
other meat dishes, like sawmill gravy.

If you're shooting them, you don't want to actually
hit them, or else you end up with just a fur donut.
Aim for close to their head; the shock of the bullet
hitting the tree takes 'em out. So the trick to
shooting squirrels is to not shoot them.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On 24 Aug 2005 07:52:11 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]

>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

Marinade overnight in a slurry of Chianti, garlic, rosemary, and a little jalape

--
Steve Koterski
Atlanta, Georgia

"Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to yourself, ask
yourself how you would act were all the world looking at you and act accordingly."
-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

On 24 Aug 2005 07:52:11 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]

>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

Marinade overnight in a slurry of Chianti, garlic, rosemary, and a little
jalapeño. Then roast or grill. Serve with garlic-cheese mashed potatoes and
baked apple.

--

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> I'm told squirrel tastes horrible.

I had fried squirrel when I was a kid. Or at least that's what my uncle
told me it was. Tasted like chicken, sort of.

ObBikes: I haven't hit any squirrels with my bike, lately.

RFM

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "John_Kane" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

> It's better stewed. And since one can starve to death
> eating just squirrel, it's best used as an adjunct in
> other meat dishes, like sawmill gravy.
>
> If you're shooting them, you don't want to actually
> hit them, or else you end up with just a fur donut.
> Aim for close to their head; the shock of the bullet
> hitting the tree takes 'em out. So the trick to
> shooting squirrels is to not shoot them.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Shotguns are de rigeur (sp?), but the good shots hit them in the head
with a .22.

Robin Hubert

In article <[email protected]>,
Robin Hubert <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "John_Kane" <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>>Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

>> It's better stewed. And since one can starve to death
>> eating just squirrel, it's best used as an adjunct in
>> other meat dishes, like sawmill gravy.
>>
>> If you're shooting them, you don't want to actually
>> hit them, or else you end up with just a fur donut.
>> Aim for close to their head; the shock of the bullet
>> hitting the tree takes 'em out. So the trick to
>> shooting squirrels is to not shoot them.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Tom
>>

> Shotguns are de rigeur (sp?),

Would that be with .410 slugs?

IMO a _good quality_ .410 (if you can find one) is
a wonderfully versatile, comfortable-shooting and
underacknowledged shotgun for small game, up close.

> but the good shots hit them in the head
> with a .22.

For that I think I'd want to opt for hot 'n reliable
li'l centre-fires, like .218 Bee or .22 Hornet. But
I'd still prefer open sights. I figure at closer ranges
scopes occlude too much of the area around the target.
I wouldn't want to bark a squirrel on a tree someone's
taking a leak behind.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Skip shooting them. I just run them over on my bike. Really, don't
brake 'cause you'll just go OTB. If you keep up your speed, you'll go
right over them. Most of the times, though, they run away -- but they
do get an education. -- Jay Beattie.

Robert Uhl wrote:
> "John_Kane" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > Blasted animals are everywhere. I came out of the univeristy library
> > yesterday to find something (a squirrel, I m sure) had ripped the
> > pocket in my pannier and made off with my muffin.
> >
> > Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried
> > squirrel?

> I believe that you need to soak the meat in salt water before cooking,
> to leach out some of the excessive gaminess. I go squirrel hunting, but
> I've never actually shot one--it's really more of an armed hike:)

That makes sense. The one time I tried it the meat was a bit overly
rich and strong. Some friends of mine went deer hunting and got 3
squirrels. Personally I would have prefered a venison chop. Still I see
one around the bike again...

John Kane
Kingston ON

Steve Koterski wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2005 07:52:11 -0700, "John_Kane" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >Anyone have a decent recipe for roast or maybe southern-fried squirrel?

> Marinade overnight in a slurry of Chianti, garlic, rosemary, and a little
> jalapeño. Then roast or grill. Serve with garlic-cheese mashed potatoesand
> baked apple.

Now that sounds rather good, though I'm not fond of baked apples. The
grilled version in particular looks good. I wonder if I can bait the
little B** with some sunflower seeds :)

> --
> Steve Koterski
> Atlanta, Georgia
>
> "Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to yourself, ask
> yourself how you would act were all the world looking at you and act accordingly."
> -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Tom Keats wrote:
<<SNIP>>
> If you're shooting them, you don't want to actually
> hit them, or else you end up with just a fur donut.
> Aim for close to their head; the shock of the bullet
> hitting the tree takes 'em out. So the trick to
> shooting squirrels is to not shoot them.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Hmmm... I have only ever used an air rifle (pellet gun). It seems more
sporting; one shot, one kill.

If your first shot is sufficiently poor, the squirrel gets disoriented.
While he is sitting perfectly still saying, "What the...?" You get a
superior target for a second shot - - but this is rare.

rsquared

Kamikaze Tree Rats Attack!
J. Scott Wilson , Food Editor

POSTED: 6:12 am EST January 26, 2006
UPDATED: 8:41 am EST February 13, 2006

For the past few months, I've stayed quiet. A lot of you alert readers out
there have continued to send me snippets here and there about the
activities of the Evil Squirrels, but I have a son now and must be careful
about angering the Nightmare Union of Terrible Squirrels (N.U.T.S.).

However, in light of the latest development involving a suicidal squirrel
bent on exterminating humans, I must once again break my silence, emerge
from my squirrel-proof bunker and stand out in the open.

You see, the squirrels have begun to abandon their previous tactics of
annoying humans, chewing through powerlines, terrifying cats and dogs,
shredding window screens and other terrorist acts and have begun carrying
out suicide missions intended to take human lives.

A woman in Bemidji, Minn., was killed and a man left unconscious when a
squirrel got stuck in a propane line in a furnace and filled their home
with toxic fumes. This is plainly an escalation on the squirrels' part and
must be watched closely. I'll keep an eye on things, and my well-placed
spies within the squirrel world will keep me informed.

Alert Readers around the world have continued to update me on tree rat
behavior around the world, and I invite all of you to join their ranks and
send your squirrel news and photos right here.

Thankfully, however, the Evil Squirrels haven't done a thing to halt the
weird behavior of we biped sorts, otherwise this would be an awfully short
column.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/th...cin_weird&ts=T&tmi=cin_weird_1_11000102172006

And, of course...

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/squirrels.htm

On 2/17/2006 10:39 AM Garrison Hilliard wrote:

> For the past few months, I've stayed quiet. A lot of you alert readers out
> there have continued to send me snippets here and there about the
> activities of the Evil Squirrels, but I have a son now and must be careful
> about angering the Nightmare Union of Terrible Squirrels (N.U.T.S.).

Be afraid. We are watching you.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus