General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The killfile myth

Started by Lefty · · Last activity · 121 posts · 1,427 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 April 2006
Last activity
11 April 2006
Original author
Lefty
Posts
121
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,427
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 121
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 09:17:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kate
    Connally?

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:


    Kate Connally wrote on 06 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Lefty wrote:
    >
    > I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say
    > they do. I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they
    > would miss something.
    >

    Well, I do. I have quite a few people killfiled and some
    subjects as well.

    Kate

    Me too I've killfiled many spammers, patches, others that annoy me and
    many thread titles. But Strangely not sheldon.

    I put up with Sheldon for many years but I finally had
    enough and killed him.

    Too bad it was only in a file. <sigh> :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Kate

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    ________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  2. Cheryl Perkins said:

    I've tried other readers. I find TIN the fastest, which is important as I
    tend to quickly drop in and out of newsgroups rather than settle down for
    a lengthy read. And I routinely use two different computers, one of which
    is ancient and can't handle more modern software. But as long as it works,
    I will use it for basic stuff.

    I love TIN. I'll probably start using it again here soon as I'm
    beginning to really hate KNode sluggishness.

    Quoted message said:

    The google interface drives me nuts. It's so cluttered and quoting is
    awkward. I like Freeagent better, but it will work on only one of the two
    computers I use.

    I'm working on getting Agent 3.1 running under Wine.

    -sw

  3. Default User said:

    I used to trn back in the day. It wasn't bad at all. At the time, I
    didn't use any filtering, it didn't seem necessary. One big advantage
    of ones like tin and trn is that they're able to run in any ansi
    terminal window, so I could telnet into the University system from
    anywhere and have the same news setup.

    Up until a few years ago, my preferred home computer was a Wyse-60
    with a modem. I used to run my own newsfeed with UUCP, as well
    (up until 2001).

    Quoted message said:

    I've been pretty satisfied with XanaNews, I switched to it because I
    needed more robust filtering. Having the capability to filter
    crossposted newsgroups helps a LOT with the usenet kooks (Ch*ng etc).
    Unfortunately it's Windows only, so not going to help you.

    Dialog is worth checking out. It's basically a free version of
    Agent (not FreeAgent).

    -sw

  4. Sheldon said:

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Deja/Google had you kill-filed for *5* years. That's quite a feat
    to have that many complaints against you.

    There were so many their server couldn't handle them all is all,

    <snork> It's hilarious that you actually believe that.

    Quoted message said:

    you're not the only one checking to reread my nearly 50,000 posts... I
    think when Google took over Deje News they needed to buy extra storage
    space just for me.

    50,000 posts X 700 bytes in an average post = 35 megabytes. With
    hard drive space costing less than a penny a megabyte for PC's,
    you're worth maybe $.25 cents to Deja-Google.

    Of course you're worth even less here.

    -sw

  5. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:16:15 GMT, "Katelyn" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    you egotistical dipshit the reason Google started carrying your posts again
    is because you switched from posting through AOL, they dropped ng's, and
    registered to post via Google and thereby bypassed the filter they had for
    you.

    Heh. I didn't even notice that he was using Google nowdays. Now
    *that's* funny.

    -sw

  6. Default User said:

    That was after AOL dumped usenet and he started posting from wherever
    he does now, Google maybe?

    I didn't realize that until just now. Heck, I didn't even know
    AOL dropped news. And he still refuses to give up that POS,
    expensive AOL account...

    -sw

  7. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lefty said:


    I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they


    do.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss


    something.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    This ng is like a high-rise walkup in Brooklyn,where virtually every


    ethnic

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    group is represented. As you pass each door there is a different smell.


    You

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    either like the smell or you don't -- but to the people cooking behind


    each

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    door, theirs smells great.

    This reminds me of when I lived in an apartment building.
    I was on the 3rd floor. No elevators so I had to walk up.
    There was an Indian or Pakistani (or maybe even Sri Lankan)
    family who lived on 2. Many evenings when I was coming home
    from work I would smell their dinner cooking as I passed
    their door on my way up the stairs. I was tempted to knock
    and invite myself to dinner. Sigh. It smelled *so* good!
    And I love Indian food1

    Kate


    The example I used of a Brooklyn (NY) walk-up came from a time when I had
    friends in the Marines on leave, one who lived in that type of building. I
    don't remember exactly but there must have been ten floors and it was
    walkup --it was an old old building.

    Man, there was every kind of cooking going on --some of the floors you had
    to hurry past it was so strong, I guess from a combination on that floor
    that did not click. This was in the heat of summer too!
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  8. Steve Wertz said:
    Default User said:

    That was after AOL dumped usenet and he started posting from
    wherever he does now, Google maybe?

    I didn't realize that until just now. Heck, I didn't even know
    AOL dropped news. And he still refuses to give up that POS,
    expensive AOL account...

    They dropped it around this time last year. Also at about that time
    news.individual.net went from free to charging 10 euro per year, I've
    often wondered if they weren't getting a big uptick in subscriptions
    from orphaned AOLers, driving the pay decision.

    Many other the ex-AOL people went to Google as well, sort of a
    double-whammy there.

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  9. Kate Connally said:


    This reminds me of when I lived in an apartment building.
    I was on the 3rd floor. No elevators so I had to walk up.
    There was an Indian or Pakistani (or maybe even Sri Lankan)
    family who lived on 2. Many evenings when I was coming home
    from work I would smell their dinner cooking as I passed
    their door on my way up the stairs. I was tempted to knock
    and invite myself to dinner. Sigh. It smelled *so* good!
    And I love Indian food1

    Kate

    Similar story - when we were trick or treating last year, I was out
    with my son when I saw a group leave our house. My husband was eating
    dinner so he had to stop what he was doing to answer the door.

    One of the little boys ran up to his mom and said, "Ummm, that house
    smelled soooo goood!"
    She said, "What did it smell like?"
    He said "Chicken!"

    I thought that was so cute! Poor little guy probably didn't eat
    dinner, he was so excited to get out for candy...

    -L.

  10. Default User said:

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I didn't realize that until just now. Heck, I didn't even know
    AOL dropped news.

    Quoted message said:

    They dropped it around this time last year.

    Doing some digging, looks like the announcement was around the end of
    January 2005:

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/25/aol_cutsoff_newsgroups/?

    From what I can glean, looks like the actual cutoff was some time in
    February of last year.

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  11. Lefty said:

    I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
    I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

    I have no idea how many people use theirs, but I *love* mine, and
    wouldn't be able to stomach Usenet without it.

    Quoted message said:

    Creative people always have their eyes, noses, ears, and palates open to new
    things. They can tolerate a lot of stinky chitterlings cooking in the pot if
    the cooker takes a break and plays Schubert, or Marley really well.

    If I had unlimited time and social energy, I'd agree with you. As it
    is, my life is too short to waste reading posters I know are going to
    irritate me. Why should I, when there are plenty of people who don't?

    serene

  12. Rusty said:


    Lefty said:

    I wonder how many people actually use Killfile even though they say they do.
    I'll bet very few --I think people are too afraid they would miss something.

    <PLONK!>

    Just kidding. I wonder where <PLONK!> came from and who first used it?
    I guess it's no fun placing someone in a killfile unless you let them
    know it.

    I rarely publicly plonk people. When I have, I've usually wished I
    had kept it to myself, so I've done it only once in recent memory (not
    on this group).

    Quoted message said:

    I don't use one. I just ignore some posters or threads.

    I find it easier to ignore people if they never show up to be ignored.
    Why would I bother wasting time hitting "next" a thousand times when I
    *know* the person is never going to say something in which I'm
    interested?

    serene

  13. Lefty said:

    I know what you mean. I was speaking for myself because I truly hate to miss
    anything. I find that some of the good stuff is embedded in thread drift
    that started out from Sheldon or those others.

    This is why I killfile people, never threads. Sometimes I mark a
    thread read for the day, but I'll pick it up tomorrow to see if
    anything fun has sprouted from the thread drift. (And then if it looks
    like the replies are to something good upthread, I can always go find
    that.)

    serene

  14. Dan Abel said:

    I just checked my filters for this group, I have 42.

    I have nine people and two subject keywords ("Joke" and "Chuckle"😉
    filtered for this group.

    serene

  15. Default User said:

    Default User wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    From what I can glean, looks like the actual cutoff was some time in
    February of last year.

    Sorting Sheldon's posts by date (took all of 6 seconds), here's
    the gap:

    freeze-dried shallots
    =============
    I get my shallots fresh from a bin at the oriental market, and...
    rec.food.cooking - Feb 12 2005, 3:52 pm by Sheldon

    Anybody have a recipe for Coney Island Hot Dogs?
    ==================================
    When I lived in Detroit it seemed there were places selling...
    rec.food.cooking - Aug 23 2000, 8:28 am by Penmart01

    We should all forward his posts to Google, and remind them that
    they killed him before, they can kill him again.

    I think he's settled down a little bit though. Probaboly because
    he know's he'll not have any news at all when Google realizes he's
    using their service.

    -sw

  16. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:34:51 GMT, "Lefty" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Man, there was every kind of cooking going on --some of the floors you had
    to hurry past it was so strong, I guess from a combination on that floor
    that did not click. This was in the heat of summer too!

    I'm sure all those smells weren't just cooking smells. Not
    everybody got dumped in the East River.

    -sw

  17. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:09:30 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Abel said:

    I just checked my filters for this group, I have 42.

    I have nine people and two subject keywords ("Joke" and "Chuckle"😉
    filtered for this group.

    I have 2 people filtered and keywords which suggest that the thread
    will be political, religious, or racist. Then there are things like
    Parsnips and Blue Cheese, as well as Bleu Cheese. Stuff like that.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  18. Steve Wertz said:
    Default User said:

    Default User wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    From what I can glean, looks like the actual cutoff was some time in
    February of last year.

    Sorting Sheldon's posts by date (took all of 6 seconds), here's
    the gap:

    freeze-dried shallots
    =============
    I get my shallots fresh from a bin at the oriental market, and...
    rec.food.cooking - Feb 12 2005, 3:52 pm by Sheldon

    Sounds right, I'm sure that one's a Google post. About the correct
    timeframe.

    Quoted message said:

    Anybody have a recipe for Coney Island Hot Dogs?
    ==================================
    When I lived in Detroit it seemed there were places selling...
    rec.food.cooking - Aug 23 2000, 8:28 am by Penmart01

    Yowsa. I didn't realize he'd been blackballed quite that long.

    Quoted message said:

    We should all forward his posts to Google, and remind them that
    they killed him before, they can kill him again.

    I think he's settled down a little bit though. Probaboly because
    he know's he'll not have any news at all when Google realizes he's
    using their service.

    Or he'd have to pay!

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  19. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:09:30 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I have 2 people filtered and keywords which suggest that the thread
    will be political, religious, or racist. Then there are things like
    Parsnips and Blue Cheese, as well as Bleu Cheese. Stuff like that.

    I have a bunch of filters related to crosspost groups, I just added
    three from crosspost trolls over on rec.arts.tv.

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  20. On Fri 07 Apr 2006 07:48:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in dis
    Dress?

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:09:30 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Abel said:

    I just checked my filters for this group, I have 42.

    I have nine people and two subject keywords ("Joke" and "Chuckle"😉
    filtered for this group.

    I have 2 people filtered and keywords which suggest that the thread
    will be political, religious, or racist. Then there are things like
    Parsnips and Blue Cheese, as well as Bleu Cheese. Stuff like that.

    Carol

    Well! That's the last time I send you a recipe that contains blue cheese!
    :-)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.