The Land Of Bikes Called Batanes

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I had just been to Batanes, the province at the northern tip of the Philippines. The group of islands are all rural and people have a unique culture. But before I could stray away from the cycling, be it known that Batanes is the land of bikes. In my 4 days stay there, I had not seen trucks except a few being used in construction of roads. The few vans and cars on the road are mostly for tourists. The rest of the population travel by 2 wheels - bicycles or motorcycles.

The attached file is the bike in the hotel where I stayed. IMG_3863 bike amboy RESIZED.jpg

The advantage of Batanes in biking and cycling is the good roads, mostly concrete and some were asphalted. Although the terrain is seldom flat and mostly hilly, it poses as a great challenge for bikers. But seeing the population traveling on their bicycles, it is very encouraging similar to salivating on delicious food. They say that students going to school just ride their bikes to save on expenses.

Since the place is a land of honest people, chains or pad locks are unknown. Bikes and motorcycles are parked just anywhere.

Truly a haven of bikes and motorbikes, the province of Batanes can boast of all kinds of bikes. But the ubiquitous bikes are the ones with big frames and thin tires. I had tried riding some of them since the people are generous and accommodating. They always try to satisfy their guests. One even invited me for a motorbike ride to the edge of the island which was about 10 kilometers away. I only declined for the lack of time.

Here is the photo taken when I was trying out which bike to use. These are mountain bike hybrids with the stand and the handle bar. But guess what, I had tried all those bikes in the photo even just for a lap.

Attachments

• IMG_3670 cory bikes RESIZED.jpg
    IMG_3670 cory bikes RESIZED.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 11
OH cool thanks for posting!
You know we all think that cars=better but it's not always the case.
Bikes are super cheap and healthy!
In N. America our two biggest problems are obesity and debt.
Two problems solved by a bike-focused instead of auto-focused society!

@BikeBikeBikeBike, it is nice to use the bike when the area is not crowded. That's the reason why I am posting my trip to Batanes is because of the clear roads with no vehicles. I felt like biking in a huge park with the wide biking lanes all for myself. And you mentioned obesity, that's the main purpose of my biking, i.e. to reduce weight, hahahaaa. However, we cannot really be dependent on bikes because this is a tropical country. Bikers will surely perspire after running a kilometer... much more when it is uphill.

The streets of Batanes are actually provincial roads, fully cemented with standard size (not so wide). Aside from the greeneries, they have seas with clear waters. There were few swimmers because of the strong current but natives say that their seas are so abundant with marine life. Their most popular seafood is lobster that costs $40 per kilo. I had sampled it and I'd say it is an experience worth the cost. People in Batanes are mostly fishermen although some are farmers. The photo is taken in the port of Ivana, the pier where you take the boat to go to the other island.
IMG_3705 biker RESIZED.jpg

Batanes has many church and for Christians, it is a joy to church hop. In one of the churches called San Jose, I attended a mass and afterwards, the priest handed out bread. Not a small bread, a big one that is good for 4 persons. Those people are very hospitable and accommodating. When I saw a bike by the side of the church, I hastily took my camera. But before I could click, there came the owner and sped away. Of course, I wouldn't allow her to get away without a photo. Here it is...
IMG_3683 lady biker RESIZED.jpg

Take note of the brown bag that the woman is holding... that's the holy bread.

In Batanes, it is usual to commute by 2-wheels, i.e. bicycle or motorcycle and at times they ride on the tricycle - the 3-wheeled motorbike with the sidecar. The 2-wheels are not confined to humans only because that's what they use for cargo as well. It is common to see bikes or motorbikes carrying sacks during the harvest season. Some bikes have the basket for cargo purposes.

Check the photo...
IMG_3702 bikers RESIZED.jpg

Weekends for Batanes families are also reasons to relax like going to relatives or going on a picnic. The seaside is one good place for holding a family picnic since I had seen them although I'm not sure if I had captured the scene. By the way, the people of Batanes are called Ivatan. The main transportation of Ivatans are the bike and motorcycle. It is common to see families atop a bike or a motorcycle.IMG_3686 biker mother n child RESIZED.jpg

Most of the bikes I saw in Batanes were the ones with big wheels and thick frames. Those were the old models that I remember when I was young. Even children are using those type of bikes. And very seldom would you see children walking to school. It's either they are riding in tandem with an adult or they are riding on their own bikes. As a standard means of transportation, the province is thinking of requiring a registration for the bikes. But no one would agree to that.IMG_4038 bike kids.JPG