The Late Night Meal

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by OGRICHBOI, Feb 23, 2015.

1. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI New Member

The night before I go on a long route, I usually eat junk food, which I am afraid to admit. I eat dinner at around 6 P.M, which may be the cause of this late night hunger. I know it is not that I am not eating enough for dinner, but maybe I am just losing energy.

What do you suggest I do, without changing my 6 P.M dinner routine too much. I have tried just ignoring this hunger, but it did not work out so well the morning after.

Tags:

2. ambal

ambal Active Member

I just suck down a few extra beers

Cannondull and OGRICHBOI like this.
  3. lordrenly

lordrenly New Member

I think if your hunger will definitely downgrade your performance the morning after, then having a late night meal is better than not enduring your hunger. I think you need that extra calories for the next day anyway. How long is your morning routine on average? If it requires way more calories than what you eat the night before, then I guess it is not as bad as you think.

What is the main reason why do you go with junk food during your late night cravings? Is it possible to make your evening dinner more than what you eat normally and save the extras for that late night cravings?

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Carbs the day before and that evening , light breakfast and take some protein along with you like energy bars. Of course I do not know what you mean by a "long route". 30,40,50 100 miles?

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

I think it has a lot to do with the time you're eating dinner. It's relatively early in the evening. It seems to me that the cravings are due to that time. However, if it's impossible to change that habit (or that habit works for you in different ways) I'd take the first response to heart: Have a few beers.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder New Member

It's very important to maintain discipline in terms of meals. You have to set specific times in a day that you will eat and stick with it all the time. In-between snacks are usually the ones that give your body unnecessary calories and also, these snacks are often not healthy because you are just merely responding to what your body craves for. For example, you think you are craving for something sweet and your body feels so uncomfortable until you resolve that particular craving. As a result, you grab that chocolate bar in the fridge. Discipline is very important and once you have set it properly for your body, you will notice that you will be able to effectively control all of these unnecessary cravings as well.

Before any cycling session, I make sure I eat healthy because normally if I do not, I get dizzy just after 15 minutes of cycling.

7. shilpa123

shilpa123 New Member

I believe having a late night meal can definitely help you to reduce a little bit of your hunger. It is best if you eat certain fruits and vegetables than anything else. It is best to avoid junk food which can downgrade your performance.

8. Kiprasn

Kiprasn New Member

Ussually I would recommend something like meat and stuff, but I guess you want something that tastes better. Well in that case, what I do is put milk, ice cream, few strawberries and oats in the mixer, mix it all up nicely and it comes out as a little bit thicker than water coctail, you can drink it, tastes awesome, has a lot of vitamins too. If you want more protein just add a cup of protein powder, makes a great meal and tastes verrry nice:)

9. lordrenly

lordrenly New Member

Yes, actually protein powder is a pretty nice addition to a late night meal because it fill you up more. Sometimes, I just mix in hot milk with my protein powder and eat it with a banana and it is enough to fill me up. This is considering the fact that I am not those people who can eat so little without feeling hungry. I can say that overall, my eating portion is about the same as an average adult male but those protein powder definitely fill me up like a regular meal.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

That sounds delicious. Oats are perfect to thicken it up but why the ice cream? Just for a sweetener or for the fat as well?

11. shilpa123

shilpa123 New Member

Eating lots of vegetables can also help you think reduce your hunger. It is one of the best way to get rid of hunger. I do not think there is anything better than that.

12. May102014

May102014 New Member

Every time you eat, be sure it offers you fiber to keep you feeling full longer and protein to sustain your energy levels. Go for fresh produce, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds, low-fat dairy products, and other lean protein. This is especially important for the last meal of the night so you'll feel satisfied and hunger pangs won't have you reaching for a huge handful of chocolate chips.

13. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

I think the correct answer is always to have a second dinner a couple hours before bed. Go ahead and call it whatever you want. For me, I find myself satiated in the morning if I've eaten something decently sized between dinner and going to bed. You'll still need to eat something before and possibly during your ride, though.

14. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

Being hungry at night usually means you haven't eaten enough throughout the day. You might be getting enough for dinner but breakfast or lunch are too light. If you are doing a lot of cycling and are also generally active you will need quite a bit to fuel your body. Some people also just need more than others. Nothing wrong with eating healthy food if you are hungry. I would suggest instead of junk food, eating something like a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread. That way you get a quick fix (bread) but also good protein and oils to sustain you.

15. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

Potatoes will keep you satisfied for a long time. Also try incorporating good fats in your diet like avocados and keep a good ratio of fat, protein and carbohydrates. Having some green tea can also blunt your hunger but don't take too much because it has some caffeine that might cause problem with your sleep.

16. joshposh

joshposh Banned

I don't know where the notion of 3 square meals come from, but your body will tell you when it needs fuel. If you are hungry then go eat some eggs or a salad. Just make sure it's healthy foods. I eat whenever I want. I stuff my self with healthy food and I feel great about it.

17. adfnio

adfnio New Member

Try eating later in the evening and if you do snack, try to take in healthier options. Does it have to be junk food? Also, try drinking 3 glasses of water at every meal. One glass before eating, one glass during, and another glass to wash it all down. That way you will be full from your meal.

18. joshposh

joshposh Banned

Yup, drink a lot of water during your meal is another way to make you feel full. Nothing wrong with that. I think the problem now a days is that people aren't drinking enough water. Water with meal helps with digestion.

19. jeremy2

jeremy2 New Member

I would suggest that you follow up your dinner with a few light snacks spaced reasonably way before you go to bed. They will help you to keep the hunger pangs at bay and you'll wake up feeling energized.