The latest in the bike buying odessy.

Goose5

Mar 4, 2009
Here is the latest in my buying agony. First is a Cevelo RS/.ultegra for 2600. I have been offered an Cervelo S2/ultegra floor model for 2900. Or a Ridley Orion/Force for 2450. I have been offered a Douglas Matrix/Chorus for 2600, or Record for 3100. Please any input. My head is about to explode.

Buy the one that fits best and feels best when you test ride it. If the seller won't let you test ride it, then cross it off your list.

Those are some really nice bikes to choose from. I dont know about the ridley or the douglas but I used to have a cervelo and it was a great bike ( went underneath a 40" tractor trailer and sounded like rice krispys ) . I think you will be very happy with the cervelo bikes , not sure about the others . I am sure those are goodies too !

Ridley is a Belgian brand that has been around since 1990. The Orion is a good quality bike that has scored highly in all of the reviews that I have seen. The price that you have listed is a pretty ggod but not great price. Both Cervelos are priced very good, especially the S2 which normally retails around $4000. Douglas is a fairly new brand with the CF frames being made in Tiawan and the Ti frames made in the US. They are primarily Colorado Cyclist's house brand so there is probably a lot more room to deal with them than with the other bikes. The only problem that I can see with Douglas is that they have not been around long enough to see if their bikes have any long term quality issues such as delamination of the CF Frames.

I have eliminated the Douglas Matrix. I looked at them at Colorado Cyclist and the paint and finish just didn't look professional. My dream bike would be Campagnolo equipped, but I am slowly letting that dream go. I am beginning to lean toward what I have been on for 20 plus years. Cannondale. I can get a SuperSix/Rival equipped for 2500. A Synapse/Rival for 2300. I did inquire about a Lapierre Xelius FDH/ Chorus build at Colorado Cyclist, but they have not responded. If that came in around what they want for the Matrix I probably could not resist. The Denver area Cannondale dealer is peppering me with emails. They really want me to get in there and test ride. One email to the Colorado Springs Cannondale shop where I bought my 3.0 has gone unanswered. It looks like I'll be test riding Cannondale in Denver.

I haven't followed all of your thread(s) but if Campy is your dream and you are willing to spend 2500, I say go for the dream. Find a deal on a frame, deal on Campy group, or parts on eBay, etc. Can you build a bike? It's fun, you can learn how, and you will appreciate the result. Just my thoughts. Steve

Originally Posted by Goose5 .

I have eliminated the Douglas Matrix. I looked at them at Colorado Cyclist and the paint and finish just didn't look professional. My dream bike would be Campagnolo equipped, but I am slowly letting that dream go. I am beginning to lean toward what I have been on for 20 plus years. Cannondale. I can get a SuperSix/Rival equipped for 2500. A Synapse/Rival for 2300. I did inquire about a Lapierre Xelius FDH/ Chorus build at Colorado Cyclist, but they have not responded. If that came in around what they want for the Matrix I probably could not resist. The Denver area Cannondale dealer is peppering me with emails. They really want me to get in there and test ride. One email to the Colorado Springs Cannondale shop where I bought my 3.0 has gone unanswered. It looks like I'll be test riding Cannondale in Denver.
I know that it is a long drive, but when you go to Denver and test ride the Cannondale, stop into Colorado Cyclist in Colorado Springs and ask them in person about the Lapierre Xelius FDH/Chorus build. It is easy to blow off an e-mail request, but you know the customer is serious when they are standing in the showroom. If you have the gumption to speak to the manager and mention how disappointed you were at not receiving a reply, he might give you the bike at your target price just to keep you happy. Good luck.

Steve is right about how much fun it is to build your own bike, but there are down sides to it too. No warranty is the first thing that comes to mind. Spending hours on eBay trying to find compatible parts, just to lose the auction or having to over pay is another thing, along with the fact that you will have to get used parts rather than new if your target price is $2500.00.

Well, I have toyed with the idea of asking the Denver Cannondale dealer if they could do an Athena build. Price wise that's just about what Ultegra goes for. I looked at the Cervelo RS again today. Actually pulled it out of the bay. Lifted it and walked around it. A salesman jumped on me right away. He said a Denver area store might have a better selection. He found an R3 up there. I think if I can get an R3 under 3 grand that will do it. I have to make a choice soon. This is driving me and my family crazy. I appreciate the responses. Thank you all.

Denver area bike shops. One offers a Cervelo R3 as described "from Samsung Mobile." What? For 2600. Waiting to hear from Denver area shop concerning Cannondale/Campagnolo build. Cervelo or Cannondale? Any thoughts?

Update. The Denver area Cervelo (R3) on closeout for 2600 was sold. I would not have been able to pass on that deal. The Denver area Cannondale dealer has been very helpful. I think they are going to be the one. They have offered a Synapse/Rival for 2300. Athena 3200. Chorus 3600. I just need to make up my mind just how much money I want to spend.

Anyone have any opinions on Athena?

Anyone have any opinions on Athena?

If you're shopping price and you want to ride the bike before next fall, it pays to be flexible. A dealer is more likely to discount a fully assembled bike that's been gathering dust on the floor than one he has to build up. And possibly order parts for.

And nobody ever got dropped because they were using Ultegra instead of Athena.