The latest on Ergomo

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by navi, Oct 9, 2004.

1. navi

navi New Member

So whats the latest on Ergomo? Any users here still have problems? I've been waiting for the Octalink version to come out but have not heard anything yet. Does anyone know if its available. I have a regular Powertap and I'm thinking of "upgrading" to Ergomo.

Tags:

2. beerco

beerco New Member

How is an Ergomo an upgrade? :rolleyes:

3. NGART

NGART New Member

4. Sprint2Win

Sprint2Win New Member

When you buy and Ergomo for your race bike, training bike and TT machine, then you are upgrading. Or maybe you feel you have.;)

5. grom

grom New Member

so he would need 3 ergomo's thats a pretty penny:eek: , i guess they are not easily transferable from bike to bike?:confused:

6. NGART

NGART New Member

Hi,
    you only need a sensor in the bottom bracket of each bike. These you can purchase seperately.

Then you only need 1 computer! Just detach and reattach the computer to the other bike.

7. Sprint2Win

Sprint2Win New Member

And what does a sensor cost?

8. NGART

NGART New Member

Hi,

I am not quite sure, you´d have to ask the retailer but I thought it was approx. half the price you would pay for the entire system.
    Cheers,

9. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

IIRC, the computher for the ergomo was 700$. The complete system retails for 1600$.

I was considering this system for my mountain bike. I decided against it as I cannot afford to replace a 700$ computer after a crash.

10. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

I am thinking of buying a pm

I like the idea of measuring torque from the pedals axis.

RapDaddyo, logically,

I should be pretty easy to make it compatible with cyclingpeak?

Worst case, it's a few extra file manipulations I guess?

** edit **

I just found this one though. I wander if things have changed ever since...
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=393113&postcount=3

11. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Charles, I honestly have not yet studied the Ergomo power measurement technology and any resulting biases or errors. But, I think Andy and the guys at CP have been involved in the development since Ergomo uses a few of Andy's trademarked algorithms (NP, IF, TSS). Andy may have a feel for its inherent (or measured) accuracy. I feel quite sure it will be seamlessly integrated with CP, equal to PT, SRM and Polar.

12. Dini77

Dini77 New Member

Solar,
    There's a comparison of relative strengths and weaknesses of the various PM's in Andy's book which also covers accuracy, etc of each model

I'm also pretty sure ergomo is compatible with CP as it's included in the drop down menu on the homepage

cheers

13. acoggan

acoggan Member

TrainingPeaks owns the trademarks to the terms normalized power, etc. - the only "official" connection that I have with Ergomo is an indirect one, in that the the program that comes with it, Ergoracer, is a special version of CyclingPeaks.

14. Sprint2Win

Sprint2Win New Member

Ergomo BB sensor around $894.95
    So that one per bike.

Crankset to fit Ergomo, if you don't already have one, or don't want to swap cranks everytime you swap bikes. $294.95

I see where you can buy a handlebar clamp, $14.95, but I can't find a spare cable system for additional bikes.

Compared to Power Tap:

$1349.95 SL wheel included
    $69 for extra receivers for additional bikes

15. peterpen

peterpen New Member

Two significant benefits to the Ergomo:
    1. Records altitude. Especially in terms of reviewing race files and building a database of various courses this is very useful
    2. No wheel restrictions. If you run an Ergomo you can pick and choose among your wheelsets according to the conditions.

I have a PT SL and am very happy with it. If I were in the market for a PM today, however, I'd seriously consider the Ergomo. The main drawback to the Ergomo is possible innacuracies due to the fact that it only measures power via torque from the left leg, then doubles it.

16. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

I temporarily had an original Ergomo. For me, at least, the Ergomo's power was never anywhere near my SRM (calibrated) or PT. I don't know whether this was due to me having a substantial left/right leg discrepancy, whether the Ergomo was faulty, or something else.

Ric

17. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

It's probably because you've spent so much time using powercranks that you've eliminated the rotational flex of the BB spindle that Ergomo uses to calculate power output.

18. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

<thread drift!>

Yes, of course i spin perfect circles... ;)

(i always thought everyone who rode a bike spun perfect circles, after all your feet are attached to the pedals which rotate at a fixed length around your bottom bracket!)

19. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

ROFL :D

How else could it be?

I wonder if the over simplified condescending phrase, "it is what it is" that we sometimes use in engineering when our clients want to buck the rules of physics can be used with this pedaling issue?

20. Bob Edberry

Bob Edberry New Member

I got mine, ergomo Pro- Just got the octalink one(it's really nicely made and machined beautifully), from Randy at www.bicyclepowermeters.com He's really on top of it and has been involved with ergomo since 2003, and said he is in contact with the manufacturer on a regular basis.

Did my first rides, this week. Once I got my USB/Serial adapter working it's dialed in and downloading great. The ergoRacer(cyclingPeaks) software is of course the best, from everything that I have heard. Seems really good to me.

I am learning about NP, TSS,IF from this forum and Andy's book, and it's pretty cool to see it on the screen of the ergomo while you ride.

Bob