The Law of the Jungle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Don Quijote, May 29, 2003.

  1. Don Quijote

    Don Quijote Guest

    It seems that it's the 'law of the jungle' the one that rules on our roads...

    THE LAW OF THE JUNGLE

    Once upon a time, in the deep jungle, lived a Lion and a Monkey... One day the Monkey, tired of the
    Lion always getting the lion share, and seeing that such injustice represented a danger to all the
    species of the jungle, demanded justice... The Lion, yawning and stretching, said: "You would have
    to have paws and sharp teeth..." Then the Monkey, who was very clever, devised a plan: He would go
    to the costume store, and look like a lion...

    When the Lion saw him, noticing that the new lion wasn't a match for him, and fearing competition,
    killed him on the spot... before the indifferent look of the little animals of the jungle... And
    that's how the Law of the Jungle was re-established one more time...

    HOW SAFE IS IT OUT THERE?

    On my route home I'm in the bicycle lane, passing dozens of cars backed up at the traffic light a
    half mile up the road. The left lane beyond the light is closed for another half mile of
    resurfacing, causing the congestion. A county motorcycle cop leans against his bike up on the
    sidewalk, intimidating would-be light-runners and late left-hand-turners. The bike lane ends at the
    intersection. Just as the light turns, the officer, nodding at the line-up of cars, yells my way,
    "You'd better get on the sidewalk. These people are dangerous!" I smile and yell back "Thanks!" as I
    clip in, noting that (1) his awareness of "bicycles are vehicles, too" may be a little dim and (2)
    he didn't say I was dangerous, but that THEY were dangerous. I'm hoping he's not offended as I book
    along with one eye on my mirror and my front wheel at the fog line.

    Randall Williams FBA Board member and commuter

    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > .... The bike lane ends at the intersection. Just as the light turns, the officer, nodding at the
    > line-up of cars, yells my way, "You'd better get on the sidewalk. These people are dangerous!" I
    > smile and yell back "Thanks!" as I clip in, noting that (1) his awareness of "bicycles are
    > vehicles, too" may be a little dim and (2) he didn't say I was dangerous, but that THEY were
    > dangerous.

    It's hard to know what was in the officer's mind, but in Chicago it's illegal to ride a bike on the
    sidewalk. An officer making this statement might be indicating he's giving you licence to get on the
    sidewalk in order to better deal with the construction zone.

  3. "Don Quijote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "You'd better get on the sidewalk. These people are dangerous!" I smile and yell back "Thanks!" as
    > I clip in, noting that (1) his awareness of "bicycles are vehicles, too" may be a little dim and
    > (2) he didn't say I was dangerous, but that THEY were dangerous. I'm hoping he's not offended as I
    > book along with one eye on my mirror and my front wheel at the fog line.
    >
    > Randall Williams

    What exactly is your point? You certainly pose a very tiny dangert to the cars, beyond some
    auto-body repair work, while a car-bicycle incident is a serious threat to your life (as we
    all know).