The lead story in today's L'Equipe? It's not the Tour

Powerful Pete said:
OK, I will bite. The crappy defensive game came from not having a midfield or attack of note. That simplifies things.

And as a matter of fact, we did not have much of a defense either... Truly a disastrous European Championship for us (not that we ever do well in our European competitions).

Now let us stop discussing football. Or we will slide into the 'Italians play crappy defensive football' diatribe. For the record, I do not agree - we won the last WC with quite a high number of goals. If that is defensive football, so be it. ;)

Had to bite.

Italian teams do have a reputation for being defensive.
That said, one of the best international matches that I ever saw - was Germany Italy semi final at 2006 World Cup :
Two different mindsets and playing systems trying to outwit each other.
Superb match and Italy deserved winners.

limerickman said:
I was really impressed by the Dutch team - I thought that they played really well.
But championship football requires grit and determination and while the beautiful football is pleasing, it is not always the right type of play for tournament competitions.
(only have to look at how Germany - with a very ordinary team - managed to get through to the finals IMHO)
But Lim, IMO, the Dutch had a bad day in their quarter final against Russia, and just didn't/couldn't play the way they played in their group matches. If they had been able to maintain the aggressive style of their group matches, they might have won the championship IMHO.