The least surprising news of the week

kennf said:
Tyler Hamilton announces that Floyd is welcome to join Rock Racing:

"Floyd is welcome to join us immediately," 37 year-old Hamilton said, according to Belgian publication HLN. "I know what he is going through, we can help him return to the top."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/aug08/aug06news2

Top of what?

Tyler doesn't know what Floyd is going through! Floyd doped his way to a win in the tour. Tyler doped his way to crashing his bike and losing. Come on, if you're going to dope, you might as well win.

kennf said:
".... we can help him return to the top."

Top of what?
Top of his bike?...
confused.gif

I want Floyd on slipstream. But then Tour probably wouldn't have that...

At least if Floyd is on Rock racing we get to see them in the Tour of California and Georgie... Yippee!

EvilJediJ said:
I want Floyd on slipstream. But then Tour probably wouldn't have that...

At least if Floyd is on Rock racing we get to see them in the Tour of California and Georgie... Yippee!

Slipstream or Garmin-Chipotle (I like Slipstream better), would shoot themselves in the foot if they hired Floyd.

All of JV's efforts to come across as a "clean team" would be chucked out the airlock with Floyd on board.

Tim Lamkin said:
Someone is reading this :p
"Least surprising [insert doping-related anecdote here]" is my trademark. Expect a certified letter from my attorney shortly.

Quit diluting my brand.

Tyler Hamilton may be the most despicable liar and cheater in cycling -- it's a tough call, of course. What really made Tyler particularly gross was that he raised money from gullible fans who believed him. Using other people's money to further your lies is pretty nasty. I was reluctant to think anyone could top such a low and selfish scam. But then along came Floyd Landis and the "Floyd Fairness Fund" -- another attempt to rip off naive fans to protect his own lying, cheating self. And suddenly Tyler had company at the top of the scumbag ladder.

How fitting that in the future they might be able to cheat on the same team. Maybe they can share blood.

tcklyde said:
How fitting that in the future they might be able to cheat on the same team. Maybe they can share blood.
That's it! Floyd was the twin all along!

Had my old 2003 TDF DVD on the other day and was having a laugh at Floyd struggling to hold onto the back of the TTT for Discovery. Tyler was powering his way up mountains with a broken collar bone. Maybe Tyler can help Froid afterall.

JAPANic said:
Had my old 2003 TDF DVD on the other day and was having a laugh at Floyd struggling to hold onto the back of the TTT for Discovery. Tyler was powering his way up mountains with a broken collar bone. Maybe Tyler can help Froid afterall.

Yeah - the old tapes reveal so much in hindsight.

For example, I've footage of the 1992 TDF when Andy Hampsten won at Alp D'Huez.
As is normal, Hampsten looked tired after what is a very tough stage.

I also have footage 1988 TDF Alp D'Huez stage which Stephen Rooks won.
He too looked tired after his win - which is entirely normal.

Roll the tapes on to 1997 - 2007 : no riders looks tired after a hard climbing stage.
In fact, they're not even sweating.

I watched the entire 2004 TDF last night : Valréas to Villard-de-Lans, Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand-Bornand, stages.
No one can convince me that either stage was ridden clean by the main protagonists.

Very well said.

I've noticed the same trend over the last 20 years. Le Mond summed it up by saying that no matter how hard you train, in a grand tour, you WILL have a bad day where you are tired. To not show much strain while winning, particularly year after year, well...its hard not to be cynical.

I'd much prefer to watch a race between 5 or so elite riders who are all as knackered as each other, with the winner getting up by small margins. As thrilling as it is to see someone simply blow everyone else away, it just doesn't seem that believable. And it was nice to see them all clearly tired and struggling at the end of TDF 08 - you got the feeling it was a real and fair race for once.

simpsonc said:
Very well said.

I've noticed the same trend over the last 20 years. Le Mond summed it up by saying that no matter how hard you train, in a grand tour, you WILL have a bad day where you are tired. To not show much strain while winning, particularly year after year, well...its hard not to be cynical.

I'd much prefer to watch a race between 5 or so elite riders who are all as knackered as each other, with the winner getting up by small margins. As thrilling as it is to see someone simply blow everyone else away, it just doesn't seem that believable. And it was nice to see them all clearly tired and struggling at the end of TDF 08 - you got the feeling it was a real and fair race for once.
Contador - winner of a Tour de France and a Giro d'Italia - is Spain's main card ahead of the time trial after pulling out of Saturday's road race.

'I got to Beijing late, and my legs weren't taking any more,' Contador said.

- Not a problem at the Giro thou.

whiteboytrash said:
Contador - winner of a Tour de France and a Giro d'Italia - is Spain's main card ahead of the time trial after pulling out of Saturday's road race.

'I got to Beijing late, and my legs weren't taking any more,' Contador said.

- Not a problem at the Giro thou.
If only China had a beach he could have trained on.

Rolfrae said:
If only China had a beach he could have trained on.
Yes a call from Pat a week before the race that they had to test the Spanish team for CERA meant the legs weren’t taking anymore.