the left-hand ped threadle

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Geraint Jones, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. A couple of weeks ago I replaced most of the drivetrain on the bike including a right-hand crank arm
    fixed to the chainwheels. After a couple of days of coping with the new right-hand crank arm being
    half the weight of the old left-hand crank arm (very odd... so much for the amateur physicists with
    balanced shoes), I got around to changing the other (left-hand) crank arm.

    However I cannot get the pedal out of it. Just as well I had a spare set of pedals in the cupboard
    around. I have tried penetrating oil, I have tried clamping the crank arm in a vice, and I have
    tried tapping it gently with a sledgehammer that I cannot lift with only one hand.

    Now, I know about dismantling the pedal and clamping its spindle in a vice, but that seems to be
    intended for discarding the pedal and saving the crank arm, whereas I am intending to discard the
    crank arm and keep the pedal.

    Any bright ideas?

    Tags:

  2. Geraint Jones wrote:

    > Now, I know about dismantling the pedal and clamping its spindle in a vice, but that seems to be
    > intended for discarding the pedal and saving the crank arm, whereas I am intending to discard the
    > crank arm and keep the pedal.

    Clamp the whole caboodle in something and saw chunks out of the crank until it's had enough and
    surrenders its grip on the pedal?

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > However I cannot get the pedal out of it. Just as well I had a spare set of pedals in the cupboard
    > around. I have tried penetrating oil, I have tried clamping the crank arm in a vice, and I have
    > tried tapping it gently with a sledgehammer that I cannot lift with only one hand.

    Tapping the spanner, I take it? That with a club hammer (more controllable) usually helps for me -
    or just tons of elbow grease on the end of a long spanner. Don't forget to turn clockwise.

    Heat crank with blow torch or stove if all else fails, and the aluminium crank should expand
    more/faster than the steel pedal axle.

    ~PB

  5. > There is the obvious question about which way you're undoing it...

    There is also the obvious answer, since it's a ped with a left-hand theadle.

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > There is the obvious question about which way you're undoing it...
    >
    > There is also the obvious answer, since it's a ped with a left-hand
    theadle.

    just checking!

    cheers, clive

  7. Cyclist

    Cyclist Guest

    > Any bright ideas?

    If you're not using a proper pedal wrench, I suggest you get hold of one. I spent a whole evening
    trying to get apedal off once, and gave up in the end. I even tried heating up the alu of the crank
    arm with a camping cooker. The next day I went down to my LBS and bought a pedal wrench and, with
    the extra leverage provided, the pedal came off in an instant.

    Simonb

  8. Arthur Spurr

    Arthur Spurr Guest

    Hi,

    Seems that replies are unable to get to you because of a spam filter.

    AS

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A couple of weeks ago I replaced most of the drivetrain on the bike including a right-hand crank
    > arm fixed to the chainwheels. After a couple of days of coping with the new right-hand crank arm
    > being half the weight of the old left-hand crank arm (very odd... so much for the amateur
    > physicists with balanced shoes), I got around to changing the other (left-hand) crank arm.
    >
    > However I cannot get the pedal out of it. Just as well I had a spare set of pedals in the cupboard
    > around. I have tried penetrating oil, I have tried clamping the crank arm in a vice, and I have
    > tried tapping it gently with a sledgehammer that I cannot lift with only one hand.
    >
    > Now, I know about dismantling the pedal and clamping its spindle in a vice, but that seems to be
    > intended for discarding the pedal and saving the crank arm, whereas I am intending to discard the
    > crank arm and keep the pedal.
    >
    > Any bright ideas?

  9. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Arthur Spurr" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Seems that replies are unable to get to you because of a spam filter.

    That's okay, replies should be sent to the newsgroup anyway. That's the idea of usenet.

  10. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    > Geraint Jones wrote:
    > > However I cannot get the pedal out of it. Just as well I had a spare set of pedals in the
    > > cupboard around. I have tried penetrating oil, I have tried clamping the crank arm in a vice,
    > > and I have tried tapping it gently with a sledgehammer that I cannot lift with only one hand.
    >
    > Tapping the spanner, I take it? That with a club hammer (more controllable) usually helps for me -
    > or just tons of elbow grease on
    the
    > end of a long spanner. Don't forget to turn clockwise.
    >
    > Heat crank with blow torch or stove if all else fails, and the
    aluminium
    > crank should expand more/faster than the steel pedal axle.

    A pot of near-boiling water is worth trying first. Drop crank and pedal in and allow to soak
    for a couple minutes, then clamp crank in vice and apply a sharp tap with a mallet to the end
    of the spanner.

    But if that doesn't work, then as Pete says, it's blowtorch time.

    --
    Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
    related with booze?"

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Clamp the whole caboodle in something and saw
    chunks out of the crank until ) it's had enough and surrenders its grip on the pedal?

    Rejoice for me, for my left-hand ped threadle which was bound is free. There is, of course, no
    indication of what was holding it in: clean, well-greased threads, and no sign of any corrosion or
    anything, not even much of anything you would call dirt. Now someone's going to tell me not to
    grease pedal threads because it causes them to bind to the cranks.

    After assorted heat treatments and batterings I eventually resorted to three hacksaw slots around
    the periphery of the pedal end of the crank and it just fell out. I still cannot decide whether this
    was because I had weakened the crank or whether the bluntness of the old blade had heated it up. I
    know I've got some new blades somewhere... Now I suppose I had better get the alloy filings out of
    the pedal crankside bearing. Hm.