The Lifting Apologists....

n crowley said:
I am referring to only the muscles used in generating and applying the pedal power, those that could be used in resistance or weight training. The answer is the absence of a direct and firmly fixed resistance base which could instantly counteract and reinforce all increased force used in applying crank torque when using the higher gears especially in that initial thrust of power at the start of the powerstroke while using the perfected unweighting technique.
:confused:Sorry buddy, I have no idea what you're talking about. Can anyone else decipher what the above cryptic crossword clue means?

Alex Simmons said:
:confused:Sorry buddy, I have no idea what you're talking about. Can anyone else decipher what the above cryptic crossword clue means?
I think he means that in the cycling downstroke you have nothing to push against, in contrast to, say, leg extensions where you have a back support. But, I'm semi guessing and recalling earlier discussions of Jacques A's pedaling technique.

Reading thru this Weights thread and other weights threads, there seems to be an underlining pattern;
- Weights has no advantage in an endurance events, such as road races
- Weights has an advantage in short sprint events, such as track
And that kind of makes sense, strength for strength work, endurance for endurance work.
BUT what happens at the end of a road race? The sprinters move to the front and sprint for the line.

Alex Simmons said:
Well, yes if you can get it to the right areas - we are in the grip of the worst drought in over a century. All the rain falls here in the wrong places.

Mmmmhmmm. Like Wales. Come on Ric, send it down to our farms!

RapDaddyo said:
I think he means that in the cycling downstroke you have nothing to push against, in contrast to, say, leg extensions where you have a back support. But, I'm semi guessing and recalling earlier discussions of Jacques A's pedaling technique.

Yes you are on the right track. In natural pedalling resistance comes from gravity effect of bodyweight and this is most effective when used vertically, which explains why out of the saddle riding with sit bones over the bottom bracket gives most pedal power. But when your sit bones return to the back of saddle seated position, the gravity resistance has to be diverted through a line from sit bones to knees and much of its effect is lost. If the saddle was removed when you are in this position, it is not a comfortable power application position. Only by biomechanically recreating the same powerful out of saddle effect when seated with an independent resistance source and very different power application line, both of which are parallel, as is the case with out of the saddle riding, will you find the perfect seated pedalling style and be able to make more effective use of weight or resistance training.

ric_stern/RST said:
is there some reason you can't do on the bike sprint training?

ric
Actually I do, I go down to a velodrome once a week and practice sprinting, but this thread is about lifting weights, which I also do, but not because I'm a cyclist.

Alex Simmons said:
Not for Mike it's not:
Sydney, Sat 25 Nov
Mostly sunny
18°C - 29°C

:D:D
Just 60k this morning cleaned out both of my 750ml water bottles plus whatever I drank before I left. Summer is going to kill me, I rode in shorts all winter. Looks like I'll be refilling my bottles at Sutherland on Sunday.

Mikesbytes won't be sucking any Alex Simmons or Sideshow Bob wheels over summer....

we had to stop our pre planned route 'cos of flooding so we just went uphill instead! racing tomorrow will be fun!
ric_stern/RST said:
i wish i could. the rain is starting to depress me now.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
i wish i could. the rain is starting to depress me now.

ric
Move to Valley Forge, PA where we are planning the first indoor velodrome on the US East Coast! With Valley Forge park, great spring road races like US Pro Championships (Philly), Trexlertown outdoor velo, SE PA is becoming cycling central, rain or shine. Also great local recreational club scene. Now if I could just get someone to entertain my kids while I am on long rides, and cover me at work, I could take advantage of all this and get some more miles in.

Oh well, until then, I might as well just lift weights.