The LIVESTRONG Chopper

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by JS, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American Chopper
    will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27 and
    part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.

    John

    Tags:

  2. Andre

    Andre Guest

    This show is for techies in general, not just motorcycle fans. The process
    of building the bike is engrossing, with many parallels to the bicycle
    world.
    Hopefully Armstrong won't wipe out like Museeuw did...

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois

    "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American
    > Chopper
    > will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27
    > and
    > part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.
    >
    > John

  3. "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This show is for techies in general, not just motorcycle fans. The

    process
    > of building the bike is engrossing, with many parallels to the bicycle
    > world.
    > Hopefully Armstrong won't wipe out like Museeuw did...

    I'm kinda sketchy on this, but IIRC Museeuw had two incidents on his HD: one
    was relatively minor, the other was where he was hit by a car and almost
    lost his leg.

  4. JS

    JS Guest

    What was Museeuw riding when he crashed? It's pretty hard to crash on a
    chopper since they're basically cruisers and aren't really meant to be
    ridden hard especially around curves.

    "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This show is for techies in general, not just motorcycle fans. The

    process
    > of building the bike is engrossing, with many parallels to the bicycle
    > world.
    > Hopefully Armstrong won't wipe out like Museeuw did...
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------
    > Andre Charlebois
    > AGC-PC support
    > http://agc-pc.tripod.com
    > BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+
    >
    > "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American
    > > Chopper
    > > will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27
    > > and
    > > part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.
    > >
    > > John

  5. On 09/25/2004 08:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Carl
    Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> This show is for techies in general, not just motorcycle fans. The

    > process
    >> of building the bike is engrossing, with many parallels to the bicycle
    >> world.
    >> Hopefully Armstrong won't wipe out like Museeuw did...
    >>

    > I'm kinda sketchy on this, but IIRC Museeuw had two incidents on his HD: one
    > was relatively minor, the other was where he was hit by a car and almost
    > lost his leg.

    He almost lost his leg due to gangrene after the 1998 Paris-Roubaix ... He
    crashed in the Arenberg, and broke his knee, and the doctors didn't clean
    the wound well. Infection set in, and if it got much worse, the leg would
    have come off.

    He crashed his motorcycle late in the 2000 season, suffering head injuries
    and ending up in a coma for a few days.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  6. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I'm kinda sketchy on this, but IIRC Museeuw had two incidents on his HD:

    one
    > > was relatively minor, the other was where he was hit by a car and almost
    > > lost his leg.

    > He almost lost his leg due to gangrene after the 1998 Paris-Roubaix ... He
    > crashed in the Arenberg, and broke his knee, and the doctors didn't clean
    > the wound well. Infection set in, and if it got much worse, the leg would
    > have come off.
    >
    > He crashed his motorcycle late in the 2000 season, suffering head injuries
    > and ending up in a coma for a few days.

    I appreciatively stand corrected.

    Thanks.

  7. h squared

    h squared Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

    > He crashed his motorcycle late in the 2000 season, suffering head injuries
    > and ending up in a coma for a few days.

    there was more too, afaict-
    BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Belgian cycling star
    Johan Museeuw will remain in an intensive care unit
    for at least the next few days after a motorcycle
    accident shattered a leg and a collarbone and ended
    his Olympic chances.

    Museeuw was injured Sunday. A buildup of liquid
    under his skull has forced doctors to keep him
    under constant observation.
    http://slam.canoe.ca/2000GamesCycling/aug15_bel.html

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:53:56 GMT, "JS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American Chopper
    >will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27 and
    >part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.

    Note that said chopper was debuted with Lance's appearance on Leno,
    Tuesday, August 31.

  9. J. Matt

    J. Matt Guest

    "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American Chopper
    > will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27 and
    > part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.
    >
    > John

    1. The chopper has been built.

    2. If you're marginally sentinent you can find pics on the web.

    3. I'm officially over Lance Armstrong.

  10. JS

    JS Guest

    > 2. If you're marginally sentinent you can find pics on the web

    "sentinent" ...please enlighten me as to what that means..

    I was never a Lance Armstrong groupie, but watching the guys in that show
    fabricate parts and put together those choppers is fascinating. I don't
    give a damn if the chopper has been built. It's the process of building
    that I care about.

    "J. Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American

    Chopper
    > > will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27

    and
    > > part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.
    > >
    > > John

    > 1. The chopper has been built.
    >
    > 2. If you're marginally sentinent you can find pics on the web.
    >
    > 3. I'm officially over Lance Armstrong.

  11. Musashi

    Musashi Guest

    And regardless of anyone's taste for Lance, the LiveStrong attention
    and monies filtering to the LAF is a good thing.

    Plus, what channel is this show on?
    Who is the new main sponsor of the team?

    Musashi

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:13:44 GMT, "JS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> 2. If you're marginally sentinent you can find pics on the web

    >"sentinent" ...please enlighten me as to what that means..
    >
    >I was never a Lance Armstrong groupie, but watching the guys in that show
    >fabricate parts and put together those choppers is fascinating. I don't
    >give a damn if the chopper has been built. It's the process of building
    >that I care about.
    >
    >"J. Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > For all the motorcycle fans out there, Discovery Channel's American

    >Chopper
    >> > will be building a chopper for Lance Armstrong. Part 1 airs on Mon 9/27

    >and
    >> > part 2 on Mon Oct 4 at 10P ET.
    >> >
    >> > John

    >> 1. The chopper has been built.
    >>
    >> 2. If you're marginally sentinent you can find pics on the web.
    >>
    >> 3. I'm officially over Lance Armstrong.

  12. JS

    JS Guest

    <Musashi> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > And regardless of anyone's taste for Lance, the LiveStrong attention
    > and monies filtering to the LAF is a good thing.
    >
    > Plus, what channel is this show on?
    > Who is the new main sponsor of the team?
    >
    > Musashi

    I've got a lot of respect for the guy with the LAF. Cancer is close to my
    family, and I contribute to the cause every year. As far as Lance, the
    person is concerned, I always thought he was an arrogant a**hole going back
    to his pedal mashing days.

    John

  13. Musashi

    Musashi Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:04:53 GMT, "JS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've got a lot of respect for the guy with the LAF. Cancer is close to my
    >family, and I contribute to the cause every year. As far as Lance, the
    >person is concerned, I always thought he was an arrogant a**hole going back
    >to his pedal mashing days.
    >
    >John

    Well, it seems that almost all of the top athletes I've either known
    or known much about all have that competitive "thing" that makes them
    a bit edgey and "take no crap"ish.

    I firmly believe that this is why women cannot outperform men in any
    sport, game, activity, etc.. Watching world championship darts... no
    contest. Pool... no contest. Eliminating stregth, size, shape, etc...
    It's always men. (which I personally think is unfortunate)

    The same thing that makes them rise to the top leaves them a little
    short in other areas.

    And certainly Armstrong has never made it a secret that he has used
    anger and contempt to fuel him.

    I enjoyed Armstrong's books for the reason that it let a little of his
    personality out. Certainly his interviews leave one thinking the guy
    is a robot.

    But I just chalk his "arrogant a**hole" behaviors(not that frequent
    but not hard to recall) as part of that competitive fire that makes
    him the top guy of today.

    Musashi

  14. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:16:11 -0400, Musashi <> wrote:
    > I firmly believe that this is why women cannot outperform men in any
    > sport, game, activity, etc.. Watching world championship darts... no
    > contest. Pool... no contest. Eliminating stregth, size, shape, etc...
    > It's always men. (which I personally think is unfortunate)

    Dressage.

  15. Musashi

    Musashi Guest

    What?

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:24:45 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:16:11 -0400, Musashi <> wrote:
    >> I firmly believe that this is why women cannot outperform men in any
    >> sport, game, activity, etc.. Watching world championship darts... no
    >> contest. Pool... no contest. Eliminating stregth, size, shape, etc...
    >> It's always men. (which I personally think is unfortunate)

    >Dressage.

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Musashi top-posted:
    > What?

    Dressage.

  17. On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:44:33 -0400, Musashi <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:24:45 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    >> Dressage.

    > What?

    It's like the well-known sport of artistic cycling, but with horses.

  18. Jenko

    Jenko Guest

    "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote ...

    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:44:33 -0400, Musashi <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:24:45 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > >> Dressage.

    > > What?

    > It's like the well-known sport of artistic cycling, but with horses.

    Gelded horses, but not mares.

    Jenko

  19. Musashi <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:04:53 GMT, "JS" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I've got a lot of respect for the guy with the LAF. Cancer is close to my
    > >family, and I contribute to the cause every year. As far as Lance, the
    > >person is concerned, I always thought he was an arrogant a**hole going back
    > >to his pedal mashing days.
    > >
    > >John
    > >

    > Well, it seems that almost all of the top athletes I've either known
    > or known much about all have that competitive "thing" that makes them
    > a bit edgey and "take no crap"ish.
    >
    > I firmly believe that this is why women cannot outperform men in any
    > sport, game, activity, etc.. Watching world championship darts... no
    > contest. Pool... no contest. Eliminating stregth, size, shape, etc...
    > It's always men. (which I personally think is unfortunate)
    >
    > The same thing that makes them rise to the top leaves them a little
    > short in other areas.

    [snip
    > Musashi

    Don't know many women athletes, do you?

    I'm sure Nicole Cooke only wins those races by pure luck or the rest
    just aren't very serious.