The Look (revisited)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Keats, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    I'm coming up to a red light, and there's one car ahead of me stopped there, waiting on the light.
    It's on an unstriped but fairly wide street, and she's well away from the right curb, so as to let
    any right turners through. She has no turn signals on, so I reason she's probably going straight
    through, same as me. I haul-up in line behind her, on her driver's side, so she can see me in her
    near wing mirror.

    A pedestrian on our right, going the same direction as the driver and me walks up to the corner and
    waits for the same light. The driver ahead of me sees this, and flicks on her right turn blinker,
    like she's going to cut across in front of the pedestrian. I prepare to pass the driver on her left
    as she hangs her right. The light turns green, we go, I start to make my move and she flicks on her
    left turn blinker. So I fall in again behind her.

    She goes straight through, and then kills her left turn blinker. I'm not bugged, though, 'cuz I saw
    it all coming before it happened. But I tailgated her a little while crossing the intersection, and
    gave her The Look so hard, she had to pull over once she got to the other side.

    I think I almost cracked her mirror with the most sincere rendition of The Look I could muster. I
    didn't know I had it in me.

    cheers, Tom