The low carb fad and how it can impact us

HellonWheels said:
>>>>

The major problem for ppl like me (with IBS) is that we need to eat low fat and HIGH carb. So if a place removes their lowfat/high carb menu (as some places near me have done), and replaces with highfat/low carb, we're screwed. There is often so little on many menus that I can eat now, I usually stuck with the lowfat menus sections. But in some places I can't even do that.

Thank God there is still SUBWAY. Although Pizza Hut now has come out with a "Fit and Healthy" pizza....reduced cheese, healthier toppings (veggies and chicken), and a thinner crust.
I'm with you all the way on this one, Hellonwheels!
Personally , I think the atkins diet is worse on women than men, and even worse if your're active . It does make you lose weight but you're too weak to work out, your'e depressed and grumpy, and all you can think about is food. - I used to fantasize about peaches and strawberries! So now I'm eating low fat, trying to avoid **** carbs - over refined flour/sugar/rice etc, but I still eat my sorbet and white rice and white flour. The weight loss is much slower but much more fun and all I have to do is feel my arms and legs to know that I'm definitely putting on muscle!

I can't stand the whole diet industry, either low fat or low carb. If you succeed it's because of their products, if you fail it's your own lack of willpower. We may have evolved eating meat, but it's one thing to chase down a wild boar, skin it, cook it and eat it, and it's something completely different to order a whopper without the bun !

by the way hellonwheels - there's always Jamba juice :D

fatbottomedgirl said:
I'm with you all the way on this one, Hellonwheels!
Personally , I think the atkins diet is worse on women than men, and even worse if your're active . It does make you lose weight but you're too weak to work out, your'e depressed and grumpy, and all you can think about is food. - I used to fantasize about peaches and strawberries! So now I'm eating low fat, trying to avoid **** carbs - over refined flour/sugar/rice etc, but I still eat my sorbet and white rice and white flour. The weight loss is much slower but much more fun and all I have to do is feel my arms and legs to know that I'm definitely putting on muscle!

I can't stand the whole diet industry, either low fat or low carb. If you succeed it's because of their products, if you fail it's your own lack of willpower. We may have evolved eating meat, but it's one thing to chase down a wild boar, skin it, cook it and eat it, and it's something completely different to order a whopper without the bun !

by the way hellonwheels - there's always Jamba juice :D

GREAT post, FBG! Great handle too (one of my fave Queen songs, lol.)

I'm also very much against the diet industry, I've nevet, ever been on any diet to lose weight, in fact. My mom was a chronic weight loss dieter and that turned me off to it for good as a kid.

What I found amazing, is that I lost a lot of weight (it might scare you to find out just HOW much, lol), just from eating lower fat, PRO-complex carbm, and getting back to the active life I had as a teenager (cycling a lot, no running, tho I did do that as a teen.)

If I went on Atkins I'd be exhausted. I accidentally went too low on carbs and bonked a few times on my bike. I simply forgot to eat enough carbs. Ever since fixing that, I have not bonked.

Keepp up the good work, sounds like you're doing the right thing! Only thing I'd advise, try to also integrate activity into your daily life. If you drive, do it less. Take stairs inst of elevators, if a store is a mile or so near your house, walk inst of driving, things like that. I even hang my clothes on the line rather than use a dryer, takes more energy to do that! I've decided to live like Europeans, and walk everywhere, and it works! BTW it would be ultimately best if you switched entirely to whole grain rather than refined. Refined foods
(white sugar, white potatoes, white flour, white rice) cause your body to crash an hr later and you get hungry again. Whole grains fill you up more and you stay full longer.